main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT: Learn to Think Like an Undergrad

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Question from an actual undergrad class.

Should physician-assisted suicide for the mentally ill, and in particular the clinically depressed, be legal? What are the issues from the point of view of medical ethics? Take a position, but address counter-arguments.

some background information:
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/848910

Also, try not to open with "holy ****! I can't believe this is actually legal in the Netherlands" or "we don't need doctor-assisted suicide in the U.S. That's why we have guns."

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  2. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Shouldn't this be in the End of Life thread, or have we abandoned that to ZAP?

Anyway, yeah sure. If a person has a mental illness and has tried various treatment options but is unable to get to a place of mental stability, I don't see how it's much different from any other chronic illness for which assisted suicide would be an option. I would be in favor of some kind of waiting periods and extensive discussion of alternatives before finally proceeding, but mental torment without any recourse or hope for recovery isn't more noble or more bearable or less regrettable than conditions that manifest physically.

There might be a question of consent issues, in that it's more difficult to ascertain if someone with chronic critical depression is capable thinking with a clear enough mind to consent to such an action, which is why I'd advocate for waiting periods and extensive clinical assessment. But at the same time that seems like a pretty solid argument to allow the patient to choose death, if they are in treatment and still can't escape their depression at any point in a prolonged waiting period in order to be of clear enough mind to consent. It's a concern at the same time it's a reaffirmation.

3. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    You seem to be thinking like an undergrad about this problem already. Congrats. You're certified.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm dropping this class and changing my major to Latvian Philosophy.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    There are no laws in Latvia that address doctor-assisted suicide, and under Latvian criminal law, such an act is likely to be considered homicide. ("Survey on Chaplaincy and Quality of End of Life." European Network of Healthcare Chaplaincy. European Network of Healthcare Chaplaincy, 28 Feb. 2010. Web. 25 Feb. 2016. <http://www.enhcc.eu/endoflife09_latvia.htm>.)

Rylo Ken likes this.
  6. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    *skips class and gets drunk instead*

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

you need a little more work, GAJ.

Here's an extra credit problem.

GrandAdmiralJello is a 33-year-old in a coma after a terrible car wreck. Her internal organs are not functioning well. She is the mother of four-year old twins, and she is pregnant, in her 22 week.
    GrandAndmiralJello's husband has authority to make medical decisions for his spouse. His primary concern is for his wife's health and the well being of his two young children at home. GrandAdmiral's medical team has recommended an abortion to improve her survival odds and organ functioning, with the exception of her obstetrician who has recommended keeping the fetus alive to bring it closer to viability outside the womb. The hospital is seeking your guidance to decide whether or not GrandAdmiralJello should receive an abortion.

SuperWatto and ophelia like this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    (x+4)^2 = x^2 + 16. Yeah, that looks right and definitely doesn't fail if I plug in x=1.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    you think like a post grad and are going to remain uncertified.

10. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    Rylo Ken, you are thinking like a middle-aged non student because that is easily high school level math

SuperWatto and Lord Vivec like this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I was talking about Ramza in general. He's uniquely unqualified to participate in this thread.

12. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    and Jello and I aren't?

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sorry can I have an extension? I didn't read for this assignment.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    *snapchats the professor some emojis*

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    As the husband, I have secretly resented GAJ for years. And although she doesn't know I know, I know the baby she is carrying isn't mine, but that of her lover and my best friend (or so I thought), Rylo Ken. My plan to sabotage her car was nearly perfect, except the lover was not in the car, and she still clings to life. Therefore I choose the option that ends her and the bastard childs life. I will use the life insurance money to hire a hitman to eliminate Rylo Ken. This twisted bitterness will eventually ruin my life.

SuperWatto, ophelia and Rylo Ken like this.
  16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

I don't know. It's possible you're just better at concealing your superior intellects than he is. His tends to leak out around the edges.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, he has been pretty clear on his feelings about law degrees.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Dude this is medical ethics, only the final essay matters. You can get a 100 on that and still get a B-, I ran the numbers.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  19. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    STOP RUNNING NUMBERS YOU GODDAMN EINSTEIN

ophelia, AmySolo and Rylo Ken like this.
  20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015

You think like someone who could write scripts for Netflix original programming. Keep up the good work!

SuperWatto and ophelia like this.
  21. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    I was thinking Lifetime Movie Network.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    that's how much better you are at critical thinking than I am. I certified you first. Because I know talent.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I get to write movies? I thought I was going to be stuck in soap hell!

24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    you have the signature and avatar that says "this guy is going places." It's not just about thinking like an undergrad. You have to look the part too. Mission accomplished.

25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I find the question offensive and I'm going to raise a twitter mob against the professor.

AmySolo likes this.