main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT the JCC halps me choose a car

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  2. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I quite like the SW one. Something like this could be good:

[​IMG]

3. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
  4. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I've had 2 Mini Coopers, a 2002 and a 2012. I drove the heck out of my 2002 Mini, including on some extremely narrow windy roads. One was even steeper, with a tighter turn than your photo. Not a problem. I also used it to haul about 100lbs of horse feed on a regular basis for a while. The 2012 Mini is a little more nimble and powerful than the 2002, which was already a bit overpowered for its size. As in I can accidentally wind up going way too fast if I'm not very, very careful. Might not be quite as much of a concern, but mine did very well in snow and ice. Including making it up some steep, icy roads once. The only maintenance issue I had was the windows would ice shut during the winter here, making entering/exiting the car a bit challenging with the way the doors work. Over here, it looks like you can find 2008-2010 Minis in your budget.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  5. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
  6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah - depending on how tall you are it looks a bit small for long trips - especially if you are hauling stuff along.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    if you're considering a honda you might also consider a hyundai. much cheaper and yet the newer models are consistently some of the best reviewed cars on the market. been really happy with mine.

Sepra and slightly_unhinged like this.
  8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes!

Hyundai used to answer the question, Peter, of "what if my poo... had wheels?" But then I saw the Veloster and thought, well, that'll date quickly but it's alright, innit.

And I was right! It did date quickly. But it also looked alright, innit.

Our resident Hawaiian private investigator is, as is usual, correct. Hynundai since about 2010 onwards or so have upped their game considerably.

And the Mini thing. I think people need to understand the original Mini Cooper was a work of art. Tiny, quick as all get out when you got the Cooper S, and indefatigably British due to its rugged spirit and can-do attitude.

And, of course, iconic due in no small part to a British caper film, set in actual Italy, in which the cars are elaborate getaway vehicles.

Now. The forces of evil swoop in.

Firstly, Hollywood does what it does best - take films made by another country and **** them like a priest on an altar boy. Scarred for life, utterly repugnant, and without a shred of remorse.

So they took the Italian job, and... set it... in... LOS ANGELES. Only Tunick would think this a good idea.

They also replaced the charismatic Michael Caine with the charisma free Mark Wahlberg; and replaced even more charismatic Noel Coward with DONALD ****ING SUTHERLAND.

If this wasn't enough, they showcased BMW's newly re-released Minis.

Now. BMW make very good cars. There is no doubting this. But like with VW re-releasing the Beetle, the spirit of the original - affordable, rugged, spirited - was replaced with a shallow, expensive, and soulless copy. It wasn't that BMW had found a way to reinvent the daring of the Mini upon release; it simply found a way to sell a hatch to a generation with the cash to afford an updated youth.

We must never speak of the modern Mini again. Not in the context of that attack on British values from 2003, and not as an option for an incredibly British gentleman, Mr Pete Unhinged.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    New or used? The Focus received a complete model change in 2011ish that massively upgraded it, but your original post stated 2008-2010. That era Focus was not nearly as good.

Oh and I thought that era Civic was ugly, but YMMV.

10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You mean the European Civic? Because I thought those were really stylish when they first arrived. The only difference after 2011 is that they removed that glass-ish covering in front of the grille that seemed like it went seamless from headlamp to headlamp, and gave it a regular air intake between the headlamps like most cars have.

11. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Yep, the European Civic. 2010 model (which is what my budget allows) pictured below:

[​IMG]

I think it was probably a mistake to ask a predominantly US audience about cars. Your Focus seems to be completely different (and much uglier) too.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    that's where i think you're wrong...

[​IMG]

murica!

Sarge and slightly_unhinged like this.
  13. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Interesting that Hyundai have upped their game. I'll bear them in mind... they're cheap enough that more recent models are within budget but there seem to be none for sale locally.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Euro Focus is cheap and reliable.

15. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    You might be able to find a cheap deal on a Mary K car.

Sarge likes this.
  16. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, the thing you have to remember is that it isn't until very recently (2015) that the engine options available were more similar. For instance, the third generation Focus only launched with one engine option and when the Focus ST came out it was a derivative of that engine but with more power IIRC. Our options are pretty much the 2 liter 4 cylinder, the 1 liter 3 cylinder, and then the ecoboost offerings that the ST and RS models come with but those two seem to be somewhat outside of what your criteria. We also don't have any of the diesel options.

The second gen Focus in Europe had some different styling from that of what we had in the US, but the third generation (models from 2010 on) is pretty similar from what I can see. Well, we don't have the estate version here in the states but if it's not a Volvo, estates don't really sell here in the states as most people will probably just buy a minivan. Yes, you could argue that the Subaru Impreza is an estate but I find it to be more like the 5 door hatch as it's a little sportier and less estate like because of the roof line.

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Which is the model we get too, yes. And I've owned a Civic before, they're just spiffy, old boy!

You ought to very easily be able to get a vinyl wrap covered in anime images if you want to telegraph unhealthy sexual appetites with an arrested development.

18. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Since you're buying used, you have a major advantage over buying new in that you can look up each model and check for their most common failings - for example, Ford's E4OD transmission was prone to dailure, but their other truck automatic from that era, the C6, is nearly bulletproof. Print off any information you need and get a petrolhead to come along and inspect the car. The VIN usually had most of the important information like engine, transmission, gear ratio.
    You've got four good picks there, personally I'd take the Ford (brand loyalty) but nothing that will really bite you.

And I can't believe I agree with Ender Sai but stay far away from Jeeps if for no other reason than the electrical. It's not a Jeep if the wires don't short every now and again...

19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you are a member of any motoring associations (such as the AA or RAC) see if they offer a service to check out used cars before you buy. Might cost a bit extra but at least you'd know if it's a winner or a lemon. Alternatively if you have a mechanic friend the same goes.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm surprised that Kimball Kinnison gave you permission to post pics of his car.

CT-867-5309 and Ender Sai like this.
  21. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'll submit the Toyota Corolla for consideration.

I can only speak from a US perspective so I'm not sure what differences there may be on European versions of it, but FWIW they are considered more affordable than the Camry and better on gas. I had an old (about 15 years) Corolla mini hatchback in high school that was a bit of a mess to start but never broke down. And my mother had a larger hatchback Corolla when I was a kid that lasted a while.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    In Europe, Corolla has been rebranded Auris since 2007.

23. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Good call - Auris is on the list. Passed my mock exam with 3 minor faults today (15 allowed) - barring any stupid mistakes, should be ready to go car shopping in 2 weeks.

Thanks for all the halp!

Maybe we could help find Diggy some budget support for his manbewbs now this thread has run it's course?

Diggy likes this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I think we should let Diggy handle those all by himself. [face_sick]

25. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    You don't want to fondle Diggy's mewbs?! All the more for the rest of us!

Diggy likes this.