main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ITT] We ***** about the High Holy Days

Discussion in 'FanForce Community' started by NYCitygurl, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Though it might just be me if none of you are Jewish :p Being in services all day is hard, fasting is harder, and missing all the class/work to do those two things is even harder. One of my friends took a midterm that day instead of going to services because the prof. wouldn't let her out even though he was supposed to. And every year in high school there was I test I'd miss.

Why can't we get the same bloody respect as people who get Christmas off as a Federal holiday? Why?

And yes, I realize I rant about it every year, but the whole thing is a pain.

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It could just be the fact that Christianity is stereotyped as the "national religion" of the U.S., probably because of the Puritans in the 17th century. Also, some people would believe that if every religious holiday were a Federal holiday, the working year would be really, really short, and thus no work could be accomplished.

3. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I think it's mostly a concern if the government allows Jewish holidays to be Federal holidays, all the other religions will follow suit There have already been a couple lawsuits from Muslims wanting the schools to be closed on their holidays even though most schools will allow Muslim students to be absent on those days.

It would be nice if all the schools would be more flexible with students who practice their religion and need the time off. You can always have homework made up and reschedule a test.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't want a federal holiday (that's a bit silly) I just don't want it to be so. bloody. hard. to miss class for them. I'd love it if more people were like my astro prof., who just lectured. I had a paper and a project due on Rosh hashana and I spent a couple hours running all over campus to track down my teachers to turn them in early.

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Here in Sweden the schools have a right to decide by themselves when a couple of days should be off during the year, and I think that at least in some areas with large immigrant communities they have started to use those days to acknowledge other holidays than the Christian ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.