main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I used to work with a Dave Matthews..not the same one though.

Next door neighbor is BBQ-ing and the breeze is blowing the aroma right into my flat. Now I'm starving..

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Even though I'm signed up for automatic billing with the gas company, they somehow decided to come into my apartment when no one was home and turn off service. So now I've been on the phone with them all day and they want me to be home all day tomorrow for a technician to come back out (despite kids, school, work), want to charge me a reconnection fee, etc.

Man, when it rains it really does pour.

3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    My doctor has just advised me to look for a new job as the one that I currently have is believed to be the cause of sudden onset anxiety and a YUGE ulcer in my stomach.

I now have to get my blood checked to ensure there is nothing else wrong and once he reviewed my age he has suggested a prostate exam considering my father and uncle have both had prostate cancer, so that's a fun Friday coming up in two weeks. Bloodwork and a finger up the bum.

//sigh

I still think women suffer worse though (until you get to man flu as that's worse than child birth :p )

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A company I deal with as part of my job has ****ing creepy hold music on their phones. I hate calling them because every time it sounds like I'm being chased by Michael Myers.

DarthTunick , Sith-I-5 and Kiki-Gonn like this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
  6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Since I (obviously) have my phone in my pocket throughout most of my shift(s), it can be difficult to recognize a lot of what's being played on the SiriusXM Cinemagic station; there's only so many instantly recognizable tracks.

7. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I can't get the sound of her voice out of my head... I just wanna talk to her again... I can't even stay mad at her because as soon as I hear her voice everything feels good again

Master_Rebado likes this.
  8. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    i ordered a ************* large iced GREEN ******* tea and the ************* gave me regular ol' unsweetened tea... BUT I TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS

since i could have taken it back and asked for the green tea.. but i didn't.. because who has that kind of time. the world around me is on fire, and i feel stupid for complaining.. yet.... this thread was enticing.. and that was a first world problem that bothered me for a minute..

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  9. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    i imagine this is what breaking the fourth wall feels like.

10. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I'm so sick of all the stupid memes on Facebook... When you're actually depressed you don't sit there all day trying to draw attention to yourself. I feel like this shouldn't trigger me but it does.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I want to keep web surfing. But I have to go to work.

12. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    That's what your iPhone is for.

13. siha

siha Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2013
    I have to go to work today (after a two month vacation).

Kiki-Gonn likes this.
  14. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    With the invent of Netflix, Amazon Prime and other On Demand services, there's just too much good stuff out there to keep up with. I remember when summer was a good time to get off the couch, but there's so much water cooler talk about exclusive online shows now.

solojones, IamZam and Master_Rebado like this.
  15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

I don't have one, nor any other smartphone.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I got moved up to the level of Calculus I've always preferred to teach, but because I'm a TA and not a lecturer I'm going to have a bunch of grading this fall, which is way more of a timesink than lecture prep and I don't know why they're considered equal workloads.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    What do you have to do to go from TA to lecturer?

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Just keep up the good work, really. The way grad student promotions work in my department is TA -> Lecturer -> TA at next level -> Lecturer etc. with faster tracking if you do well. TA positions are viewed as the preferred way to be reintroduced to the subject at the instructor level. I think at the Calc III level you also have to express an explicit interest in lecturing because of potential concerns with thesis work (some people (justifiably) prefer the flexibility of grading to fixed lectures and office hours), but I intend to do so.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well at least there is a career path for you to work on. I thought it might mean more degree work just to advance.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Nah, degree work is how you get out of the cycle and thrust into the real horrors: the academic job market. :p

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    [face_laugh]

Not in that field so I haven't experienced it!

22. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Work has failed me yet again.

I won a competition at work that I didn't actively enter.

The prize was a Microsoft Surface tablet

I was expecting the Surface 3 as it's the cheapest going but it was better than nothing.

It arrived today, and not only was it a Surface Pro 4, it also came with the funky keyboard and pen.

WIN!

I then checked the spec of my new toy

128gb of drive space and 4gb RAM

then I saw the processor

Dual core

0.9ghz

0.9? really?

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah, the m3. If it helps it runs at an effective 2.2 - which isn't exactly going to set the world on fire, but it's not nearly as slow as the .9 would suggest (For comparison, the top of the line i7 model runs at effective 3.4). You probably also get more battery life in the tradeoff, so I could see it working as a nice backup unit.

24. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    I suppose I can live with that.

It is rather funky. the keyboard is teeny though and with my mahusive fingers I keep mashing the wrongs keys.

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well yeah that's just SurfacePro.txt. :p