main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Amazon and sellers don't seem to get the core concept that I am trying to beat into them, after asking nicely failed:

Package the ******* stuff in flexible plastic that can be pushed through my letterbox; DO NOT give it to my neighbours.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Luckily I get along with the neighbor in the next door flat - we take packages for each other. He works from home, which is handy if an Amazon delivery comes when I'm out.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    When you get to your 50's, no one will care what you look like and you can wear them again. With socks and sandals.

4. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I have to have a stupid meeting with my boss so I can get my raise. Why do we need a meeting, to make I'm sure willing to accept more money? I am.

5. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    There's a weird misconception that meetings achieve things.

In my experience, meetings are attended by people with almost no understanding of their team/department's function. They talk a lot, listen very little and finally emerge (normally after many, many meetings) with dictats that are garbled, almost always completely unworkable and sometimes utter gibberish.

Of course, the people who actually do things then try to figure out what purpose is trying to be achieved and come up with some way to achieve it. This leads the meeting-attenders to the erroneous conclusion that they helped in some way.

FatBurt likes this.
  6. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

I never understood this. It's never happened to me directly, though one time UPS did give me my neighbor's package because they weren't home. I thought it was weird of them, but I kept the package until my neighbor got home that evening. Evidently UPS left them a note stating who they gave the package to. I guess that's something? But, I suppose a crappy neighbor could just lie and tell you that UPS was mistaken and they don't have your package.

EDIT:

Come to think of it, my neighbor was pretty fortunate that it was me who got the package and not the two neighbors closer to them because of an ongoing feud they were having (even involving police and drawn guns at one point). I was pretty neutral in the whole thing, but I can only imagine what some of those other neighbors might have done.

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Since we are complaining about meetings.....had a meeting that was only supposed to be an hour but ran way past that....didn't get to talk at all and honestly the same two people rambled on so much that I'm really not sure what was talked about. I do know that I won't be able to accomplish everything I wanted to get done at work before I have a 3 day weekend starting tomorrow.

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Here in the UK the delivery person will usually put a card through the mail slot if no one is home. If they left the parcel with a neighbor it will say so on the card.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Do I know you IRL? I used to rock the socks with sandals in college and got teased mercilessly by my friends.

10. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

I might be wrong here, but I think I recall that it used to be that if you weren't home for a package delivery, you would be left with a card indicating either the next delivery times or where you can go to get the package yourself. I think the concept of leaving a package with your neighbor might be recent?

11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    If it is something that has no hope of getting through my letterbox, like the rolls of astroturf I was getting a few years ago, fair enough; but a thin item of clothing for instance - sometimes the seller wraps it in plastic or a courier type envelope and I find it on my carpet inside the door; sometimes the very same item goes in a cardboard box that I have to try to align my wake and work schedule with the neighbours, and go be sociable to try getting my stuff back.

12. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I left my ax out in the rain, and now it has rust on it.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I know when you order from Amazon UK there's a place on the order to designate what to do with the parcel if you're not in. You can tick 'neighbor' and give a name and house number (or a location like 'garden' or 'shed'. I also believe you can nominate a neighbor with Royal Mail. In my case the mail people are regulars and they will knock on my door for a delivery to the neighbor and vice versa. If both aren't home the recipient has to go to the local sorting office to pick up their package or they can go online to arrange re-delivery - either to the local post office or their home. Most of the delivery people will try my door if the neighbor isn't home and vice versa since our doors are side by side.

15. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    They are not taking any notice of the alternate spots I provide on the online form. Plenty of spots in my front garden to hide things if I am not in.

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    lol i'm pretty sure that internets was lamenting the changing of the seasons and not that he's getting too old to wear shorts.

please correct me if i'm wrong internets. the other interpretation is definitely more interesting.

17. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I just want to confirm that I wear shorts with socks and sandals.

Master_Rebado, harpua and tom like this.
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've been known to wear shorts year-round (not with socks and sandals, though :p ). I have a really high tolerance for cold, and a really low tolerance for heat. I have a really hard time going to friends' houses in the wintertime... namely the houses of those who like to crank their heat up to 80 degrees... ugh.

heels1785 likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No it's the second option. Soon I will be the ripe old age of 25 and have to start paying social security and look into nursing homes.

20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Last night I dreamed that I smashed my phone screen.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I want to add raw eggs to a smoothie. But raw eggs might create a biotin deficiency.

22. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    To those hellspawn and wastes of oxygen who use belts to pants that already fit them, I have three questions, two of which are related:
    • Are you familiar with the concept of shame and have you none of it?
    • How do you explain your behaviour?

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    *At grocery store*

Huh, I feel like I'm forgetting something. Hm, got that, got that, got this, yep, that's everything.

*At home*

DAMN! I forgot the peanut butter!

Master_Rebado likes this.
  24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Well, that biology exam that has a record of maintaining a 50% failure rate just got graded. I scored a C. :/

VadersLaMent likes this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, no, belts are fun.

tom likes this.