main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

And that is passing. [face_dancing]

2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Are you asking why I secure a pair of trousers with a belt?

It is so that when I am walking in public, and my smartphone or coins have been added to my pockets, I don't risk them sliding down my legs and me getting arrested for indecent exposure and all that could bring: loss of liberty, job, income, home, street cred, not to mention having a "heart attack" in custody, despite no history of cardiac problems, unable to update my RP game in a timely fashion.

3. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm specifically referring to people who use a belt even though their pants already fit them, i.e. they're not needed to keep the pants up. Your scenario is moot.

Wastefulness affects us all. Thank you for your attention.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm now just imagining you playing a standard JRPG and going into an apoplectic rage. :p

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Sometimes my pants fit in the morning but by the end of the day they're a bit looser (probably due to work-induced rapid weight loss), hence the reason I put on a belt regardless. Plus the aforementioned weight of my phone, keys, and wallet. Am I only wasting half the oxygen?

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Muscle memory keeps me still swiping to the right get off the iPhone lock screen.

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    My son has a 8:00 am soccer game tomorrow. WTF, was the 7:00 am slot already taken?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  8. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    If there's ever an amusement park called Bag World, I bet it would really start to annoy you after a while how they really sort of stretch the
    definition of "bag."

-- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey

9. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Is this a real thing? If so, then you legitimately need them, no? So you wouldn't be in the category I mentioned. Some people on this planet, see, they find this perfect fitting pair of pants in the store and decide:

"you know what? My world is gonna fall apart if I don't buy a matching belt to these pants. The pants that already fit me like a glove. But who cares about that? If you're using belts for what they're actually intended to do, then you're doing it wrong when you're buying your pants. Or you're not buying pants often enough. Belts are a fashion accessory, silly you. You wear them to match the shoes you're wearing that day, and their colour should also coordinate well with the pants themselves. It's not enough that I wear necklaces or bracelets or generally look stylish in any number of different ways daily, see? To top it off, it is absolutely imperative that I waste the skin of a cow to tie around my waist in defiance of the accessory's intended purpose. If I can't flash my first world arrogance loud enough, I'm only half a man!"

10. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    My trousers do fit me, thanks. And indoors, no risk, no belt.

Also, looking at your later post that belts are only a fashion item. Not here. Particular heavy metal belt buckles, yes, the belt itself, no.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I feel inadequate now since I also wear a belt.

12. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Why, you should only feel inadequate if you're using the belt for its intended purpose at the moment of their invention. If you pointlessly buy them as a decadent display of how sophisticated your fashion sense is, I don't see why you should feel any less than exceptionally cultured.

13. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016
    i am all out of sausage

14. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002
    i went through the taco bell drive thru to get some lunch for me and the kiddos.. and before i drove away the window guy handed me a stack of napkins about 5 inches tall... this worries me.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I went to a used book store, it was closed for renovation. I went to another, it was closed permanently. I went to a third, they did not have the books I wanted.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  16. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    In Melbourne there's been a bit of a rebirth of the book store. A fair number opening up.

But the second hand bookstore... the jumble of old books on tables and falling down shelves... well, they've gone the way of the second hand record shops where I'd go hunting for Pink Floyd bootlegs. Sunday junk markets seem to be the final resting ground for old books.

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Well, when you turn 50...

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In my area if you want used books you usually try a charity shop. There's one in the next town over that is only for books and I've found some good ones there. I usually take a bag of donations when I go as well.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I get done at 11 at work tonight.

20. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

My total grade in the class just dropped from 99% to 78% after this exam. :_|

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, but was that the first exam of the semester? Grades prior to that are essentially meaningless. And if people fail half the time you're sitting comparatively pretty.

</teacher whose students are in for a rude awakening Monday night>

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Well, 78% is still passing. I guess.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  23. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Omg, what are you going to do to them?!

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Nothing, there's just traditionally something of a gulf between homework performance and test scores in the class which I expect will play out accordingly.

25. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    We have to go to a school barbeque now but we just ate.