main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I'm off from work but still wake up at 5:00 a.m. - damn you body alarm!

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Started training in the new position--and got informed by other employees in the area that I'm the only one that has to experience such a rigorous and ridiculously long training period that doesn't fit with the company norms. The last person who transferred into this position only had two weeks of training in the role she transferred for, as opposed to my 45 days of irrelevant training before I even get the "possibility" of training for the position I transferred for. This last person, after her two weeks of training, decided that she didn't like the position and had the opportunity to transfer back to her previous role.

So why is the management in this area insisting that I train for more than double--and continue training well over the deadline for me to possibly return to my last position? Something fishy is going on here. I pulled up my personal record with the company, and it's more than a clean record--it's a record covered abundantly by performance recognition items. It's a stellar record. Plus I have more experience and tenure in such a role than this previous candidate, who again only was made to train for the standard two weeks.

I think I'm going to insist on a sit down with my new management today to state my case (plus I'm looking into union support--and one of the union reps mentioned to me that, per contract, they're required to provide consistent training and can't single anyone out with an abnormal training schedule). I'm obviously pretty upset about this, as this was a position I wanted with the company since I started almost 8 years ago. Now that it's finally within my sights, it looks like I'm being jerked around by sloppy/inconsistent managers.

Plus, given the fact that the company is short on qualified internal candidates to fill this position and the other fact that I was happy in my previous position, I have no problem telling them that I'm done being jerked around and I'll more than happily return to my last position and they can keep their vacancy opened indefinitely if this is how they're going to treat qualified internal candidates.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I've had similar experiences recently but specifically with **** local political ads. Between baseball playoffs and the odd YouTube commercial (admittedly only a problem when using apps rather than my laptop, blessed be the µBlock) I've seen... four or five? All terrible.

4. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

Pandora is full of Trump ads lately. :(

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Thankfully I was not subjected to political ads. It was just the usual "buy/lease this car because a celebrity's familiar, soothing voice told you to," "buy this car insurance because an annoying cartoon character or attractive 'girl next door' type told you to," "buy this burger or alcoholic beverage because we have successfully tied our products to masculinity and make you feel insecure about yours," and "buy this junk food because you hate yourself."

6. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    I bought an economy sized bumper pack of toilet paper and it's not good toilet paper. 6 months of slightly unsatisfactory wiping await.

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Have you considered that by using Pandora you have, in fact, brought this on yourself? :p

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  9. Asplundhe

Asplundhe Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2016

that sounds like a veritable hell, but all is not lost! use it for a month and then switch to 400 grit sandpaper, then 300, then 200. by the time you get used to wiping with 100 grit sandpaper, the sub-par toilet paper you bought will feel like a cloud and your o-ring will be strong enough to deflect any bombardment.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Having to blast the death metal to drown out obnoxious neighbor music... not that blasting Asphyx is bad...but the principle behind it annoys me.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Just spent ten minutes chasing the cat that somehow snuck outside when nobody was looking.

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My dad left for Zambia via Dubai on Emirates a week and a half ago, with his replacement Note 7 with him. In the time that he's been there, it was discovered those can explode, too. So they were banned from all flights.

Since he had no phone or internet at the lodge in the middle of Zambia he was at, I made the calls for him. Took me an hour and a half trying to talk to Samsung (who were useless, kept accidentally hanging up on me or putting me on hold and forgetting about me... Not to mention not a single person of the three I spoke to had ever heard of Zambia, and took a while to understand that this is a country), and then Verizon (who claim they made a note and my dad won't be charged for the phone and can get a different one when he gets back. We'll see.)

But yes, yes their official advice was "factory reset it and leave it in Zambia." So that's what he did.

I obviously don't blame the airlines for that, but absolutely blame Samsung.

Juliet316 and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    solojones - sorry to hear about your dad and his utterly crappy situation in Zambia, but the Note 7 has been an absolute world of hurt for folks and Samsung is finally discontinuing it after multiple explosions, fires and folks getting hurt. I am glad to hear he's okay but Samsung are 1000% wrong in this awful situation.

Real life sucks: saw myself mirrored in a talented person whom I thought was a friend but is in far worse shape than me, esteem wise. Many empty promises to me later, now this person is getting a nasty taste of their own medicine. I had to walk away from this friendship etc. (there were professional aspects too) this morning as I was not being respected and treated like the peer, client and friend I was to this person. I gave them one chance already two months ago after a year of excuses and bs. After we spoke on Friday, I sadly knew what I had to do. I do not hate this person, I am grateful I've learned how to not to be and I pity them deeply. I truly hope they can rise above and learn about self love and respect. it has taken me a long time to come to this myself. It means giving up a fan community that is much like this one (only more intimate), but rather than be so angry it hurts me again, I just figure I'll fade into the sunset and keep thinking positive here on out. Grateful that I can see when a relationship isn't 50/50 that I simply must walk out much earlier than I used to. :(

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Um...my coffee pot is out of...coffee

*sobs after reading the last couple pages*

15. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It's definitely a huge issue for Samsung, having rushed the Note 7 to mass production to compete against the iPhone 7. Plus they just lost the appeal decision launched by Apple in the suit against their phone's allegedly similar design (they won the original lawsuit, iirc).

But where in Zambia did your dad leave his Note 7? Also, would it still have been dangerous if he'd just turned it off during the flight?

16. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Could be worse. My dad left his house, his motorcycle, his landrover and his life savings in Zambia. They had some pretty strict controls on money leaving the country.

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Eh?

Regardless of whether it would be safe or not, the Note 7 was already banned from flights into the US by the time he was going to fly back.

As I said, I don't blame the FAA or airlines for that stance. The issue is that a replacement Note 7 exploded while being powered down when a plane was taxiing in the US. Basically, the FAA understandably doesn't want to trust that every customer remembered to power their phone down before getting on the plane.

Hell, according to flight attendants I've talked to, most people don't even put their phones in airplane mode like they're supposed to. So yeah.

Also, in Lusaka they evidently asked everyone, including my dad, whether they had a Note 7 with them, and told them they'd have to leave it there. He had already left it in the lodge he was staying in.

18. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Just muttering really. My dad worked in Zambia for about 25 years training engineers at a copper mine. When he left, he had to leave everything behind; there were laws restricting the amount of money/assets that could leave the country.

19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    uncalled for exercise sucks. :p The cat must pay you back and be extra super cuddly for the next week.

Prisic Duskleap and Juliet316 like this.
  20. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Wow. That sucks. Also a bit hypocritical since they now have no problem with Chinese companies using their labor force to mine copper and make lots of money in a very neocolonial way.

I mean, providing jobs there on the whole can be good. Unfortunately since the price of copper has fallen, Chinese companies have now pulled out and many people have lost their jobs. It's not good.

Did you ever go to Zambia? I love it. The reason I've been and the reason my parents were there in the first place is that my mom is a retired science teacher and part time IB trainer, who also donates her time to train teachers at a college in rural Zambia. Many teachers there don't get much training in lesson planning, or in her case ways to teach science without many supplies.

I've been once and will hopefully get to go in the future.

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  21. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Bleh, I really dislike garlic powder; but am glad it doesn't level me the way raw garlic does...[face_beatup]

22. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Trying to rewind a DVR recording for just a few moments, but since the recording itself is only a few minutes in, it jumps right back to the beginning, or from whatever point you started that viewing (like if it's not a recording but just something you're watching and can rewind), so you then have to re-watch that whole first few minutes just to see or hear something that you might have missed mere moments ago on your initial viewing.

23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It's Spring here. Hayfever time. I just squirted nasal spray into my eyes. Wrong bottle.

So far, I think it's helped.

24. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

Yeah, it was rough. It's not as if he was part of any kind of evil, colonial enterprise, either. I mean, he started out as a hands on engineer but ended up as an educator training local guys. He got sick, came back to the UK for healthcare, had to leave everything behind.

I was born and spent my early childhood there. Visited once in my early teens (parents divorced, father stayed, I flew out to visit with my older sister) but I've not been as an adult. Amazing country from what I remember. Sounds like your mum's doing good stuff there.

Back on topic: I hate it when websites won't give you a price for something. I don't want to call and speak to a sales person. Seriously. I'm an introvert and I don't want to have to go through that, especially as sales people are almost always extroverts. Cheerful, bubbly extroverts who will probably ask questions about where I'm going on holiday or some other godawful chit-chat. I also know that if I buy, part of the price I pay will go to that salesperson as a commision. **** that. It's not the money - I'd happily pay more to NOT talk to a salesperson - it's the principle of having to pay for something excruciating when there's absolutely no need for it. It's like being required to go through an unnecessary dental procedure before you're allowed to buy something.

25. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    University presses keep telling me how interesting my book proposal/manuscript is... in rejection letters.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.