main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    We had fencing and archery for my gym classes.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Master_Lok, I am a huge hater of Apple for all sorts of reasons. Their corporate culture and directives are everything I hate.

None of that has to do with Tim Cook being one of these fictitious "SJWs" you speak of. His politics are fine. It's his products and company directives (mostly laid out by Steve Jobs) that suck.

3. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Homework. :oops:

4. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I'm pretty sure they have homework in other parts of the world, too.

5. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Tonight, Epcot in Disney World will be revealing Spaceship Earth's redesign as the Death Star for Rogue One...and I'm here at home, doing homework. :(

6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah that's gonna be a pretty sweet projection to temporarily make it look like the Death Star. Neat idea. But it should be there for a while, so you'll have another chance to see it.

7. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  8. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002

One with a hot tub whose temperature is plugged into the same mechanism as the regular pool. Sometimes, the pool is convinced it is a big hot tub, and it gets super hot. A terrible waste of energy, and it renders the pool useless to get exercise in. At least for me. My sister will still swim in it, but she's insane.

Also, the heater is now broken, which also renders the pool useless. :(

9. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Here's a local article about the Epcot Death Star and upcoming Star Wars features to the parks.
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/trav...sney-star-wars-death-star-20161205-story.html

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Actually, Jobs may have been a complete monster but the end result was products that worked. I pretty much ignored Jobs and his policies because I only had one Mac fail under his tenure. Under Cook, I've had 2 Macs, several iPads and 3 iPhones fail. (Yeah, I know...but I am waiting to jump ship until Microsoft and Google refine their hardware). I disagree about Cook's politics in that he is using them to try to make Apple look like something they are not. I don't care about what he does on his own dime and time, but I do care that the company cannot keep programming engineers and designers on the payroll because they're spread so thin as Cook is trying to insert himself and Apple in places that are clearly not their market.

I am royally disappointed in Apple and I am not a fan of Cook, Phill Schiller or even Jony Ive now, but I no longer hate anything or anyone. As you do not follow the company as closely as I do as an Apple "hater", you're probably unaware of just how ridiculously political and pandering Tim Cook is; especially over past two years when it seems like he's more interested in kissing butt to a variety of communities and countries to make the almighty dollar instead of simply hiring the best person for the job no matter who they are.

Because he wants to focus on service as much as product now, Cook spends more time on political agendas and trying to prove what a diversified company Apple is now than working on the tech. He doesn't care about tech all, just $. Just hire the best people for the job and be done with it. I have no problems with whatever they decide to do on their own dime and time. As far as SJWs, It's not what folks ask for, it's how they ask for it; everyone deserves the absolute best and to be equal no matter who they are. So how you ask for those things and pandering are big issues with me: as a result, Tim Cook falls under that definition.

So once again I politely disagree with some of what you said and on that we can agree it is a first person "complaint" and move on. :D

and speaking of Apple and first person complaints, I am being ripped a new one an Apple board for simply standing up to the fact that the multiple issues with the new Macbook Pros could have been avoided had they gone under more rigorous Quality Control testing. How it is whining to say wait a minute, QC has sucked the big one since 2013 and this release proves it.

VadersLaMent - oh Japan and their awesome martial arts gym classes. How I wish I went to school there. Would have been over the moon to learn kendo, or in my case as a girl to learn how to use the Nagata. But yeah, square dancing... [face_sick]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  11. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Trying to convince Apple users of the flaws in their precious Apple products/ecosystem is an exercise in futility that will earn you many, many eye rolls. Most Apple users aren't even aware of the borderline sweatshop labor Apple uses to manufacture their products, nor do they want to know.

As for Microsoft, they will be launching a new line of Windows Surface phones this upcoming year, I believe. I'm interested to see how well they perform and if they can fix their Achilles heel of a bland app store (seeing as how that was the only reason why I jumped from Windows to Android). However, possibly even more interesting is the indication that Nokia as well might be coming back to the smartphone market, this time with the Android OS.

If Nokia can pull this off, I'll jump from Samsung and back to them in a heartbeat, as their Nokia Lumia 925 with Windows 8 was a fantastic device, as were their following Lumias. Take away the glaring problem of being limited to the subpar Windows app store and Nokia could easily become a manufacturer to watch out for. Their hardware was always well regarded by tech sites like Cnet, and my Lumia camera was visibly superior to contemporary (and newer) counterparts from Apple. Plus its water and stress resistance was also noticeably superior.

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    My car's alignment is ****ed.

13. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    As a former Apple cheerleader, I concur with the bold and italicized. I now see tech as whatever works for you is great and will definitely keep a sharp eye on Microsoft and possibly Google going forward. MS is building hardware that is very intriguing. As I am using Windows 7 at work, I cannot say what the experience with 10 is (though I'm a little skittish about all the privacy controls and automatic downloads you cannot control). Regardless, unless Apple gets smacked hard with a Quality Control 20x40, it's safe to say I will start to investigate competitors for my home computing.

And at solojones nothing personal sir. I was pretty wound up and conflicted after being so severely bashed on the Apple Board when I responded to you. You may not understand today's Apple or Tim Cook (lucky you. Really). So I'll just leave it at that.

---
    So first world complaints:

1) AMC movie pass muppet news flash: If you have AMC movie passes with Green or Red sections on them: Surprise, you cannot use these for any Disney film (i.e. Disney, Marvel, Lucasfilm). This is not listed on Fandango but on AMC's site itself. And double complaint, I cannot find that page that the AMC manager showed me earlier today. However, it seems that it's not just green or red movie passes that have cooties. So AMC movie pass holders be aware.

Those green passes are a bust for me since I tend to only see Disney films in AMC theaters (foreign movies elsewhere).

---

2) I wish Marvel would keep on artist on a run like they used to. If you have to take a month off to allow the artist to catch up I'd rather have that than multiple artists making things less fluid.

14. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Master_Lok I think that you can control the automatic downloads in Windows 10. And, honestly, imo, you should. I've had some issues with automatic updates occurring out of order and messing up my PC (I was able to figure out how to fix it thanks to Google, but it was a pain nonetheless). Now I have it set to ask me for permission before installing the updates (that way I can Google them to see if there are any associated problems).

15. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yes, that's customizable. And it's funny to hear an Apple owner criticize Windows for trying to force updates, when forcing updates to old tech so it will stop working and you'll have to buy a new one is classic Apple. The Kings of planned obsolescence.

[quote="Master_Lok, post: 53976531, member: 1376838]
    And at solojones nothing personal sir.[/QUOTE]

lol, I love that even after 16 years here, I still can't get through a year without this happening.

And dude, I don't think you understand where I'm coming from at all. I think Apple was basically destined for this outcome by Steve Jobs due to how he decided to make money with the company.

Essentially, his plan was to make items that were aesthetically pleasing, take technologies mostly made by others rather than ever learning to code or innovate himself, then market his identical products as exclusive and superior. If you had one, well, you were in the know. You were special. You were elite, not like all those other people who all had the same thing (in spite of the fact that Windows systems always offered far superior customization).

Steve Jobs successfully sold Apple products not on their own merits, but rather as lifestyle items. Status symbols. Like Thomas Edison before him, Jobs was no innovator: the iPod, iPhone, and iPad were all proceeded by other similar devices invented by other people. Apple was just good at straight up stealing, then convincing people they'd really been the ones to do the hard work to invest this new tech (again, precisely how Edison operated, while Tesla was the real innovating genius).

Then Jobs started to realize that he could take it a step further. He could create a whole Apple ecosystem, which would be the antithesis of Windows' open source and ubiquitous and customizable nature. Apple successfully started inventing its own ports and cables, eschewing industry-standard universal plugs. Not because theirs were actually better, but because then you'd have to buy all your accessories from Apple. You'd need an iMac to go with your iPhone and Apple TV, and iTunes to go with your iPod.

He put DRM on everything he sold you so that you wouldn't really own it, but would be beholden to Apple forever. They intentionally put terrible disc drives (then no disc drives) into insanely expensive computers so you'd buy movies on iTunes instead of on DVD (oh, and they never put Blu Ray drives in either). In spite of the fact that these iTunes movie copies are of worse quality and make you reliant on Apple products to watch your own dammed copy of a movie.

He was essentially a snakeoil salesman who convinced people to buy empty promises, to use Apple as a status symbol. And he did a dammed fine job of it. Apple fans did and still do just assume Apple has the best tech, simply because they don't actually research tech or know what else is out there. They just stick to Apple products, because surely they must be the most expensive for a reason... Obviously price=quality, right? Never mind that you can currently get $200 Lenovo tablets that are better than an iPad... And I mean, the iPhone is great and ahead of a other phones, right? Never mind that nearly every feature iOS brings to its extremely expensive phones has been available on Android, including to people with $100 phones, for at least a year, but often more like 2.

One of the main reasons Apple products seem better to some is that they're so dumbed down and leave so little to the user that they are hard to screw up. But this also means they don't have very basic functionality. Finally, Apple relied for years on a lie about their tech being more secure... When really all that had happened was that so few people had Apple products for so long that no one was making viruses or Malware or tracking cookies for Macs or iPhones. But now that more people do have them, they're becoming more prominent. This was a predictable development.

My point in all of this is simply to say this: the current state of Apple isn't because of Tim Cook, but rather is the inevitable result of Steve Jobs' company philosophy eventually coming back to bite them in the ass. Hell, they even had to kind of admit that their BS line about their plugs being superior and how they're doing this for your own good, don't you worry your pretty rich head about the tech was untrue. They dropped the price of their dongles.

With the removal of the headphone jack, people finally started to realize that swallowing every product (with no choices) a single company gives you actually means you're robbing yourself of choice. That there are alternatives that are cheaper and better. Now many upper middle class people will keep buying Apple because it makes them feel superior. They will continue to gape at me when I say I have a Windows computer and an Android phone, while simultaneously knowing absolutely nothing about computers or phones...but the numbers show that at least a sizable chunk of Apple fans are waking up and jumping ship.

All Tim Cook has done is continue the trajectory set out by Jobs. It's just that Cook isn't as gifted a huckster. And without that Henry Hill persona leading the company, their BS is a lot more transparent finally.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Apple always makes things so much more complicated. Microsoft forever!

17. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's possible that she did that on purpose because you did it to her first.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    If you're playing into brand loyalty dynamics you're not really helping yourself.

Which is to say FreeDOS is the only ethical operating system. C:\>MOUNT D D:\ -t FREEDOM [face_flag]

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  19. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I doubt it. She's a noob and we've never interacted, so I think it was just a happy ironic coincidence.

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    solojones > I think all we can do at this point is agree to disagree on certain aspects. What works for me, did not work for you.

If you think I am happy that Apple plans the uselessness of their tech which has rapidly escalated under the bean counter Cook and his clowns, I am not. I am laughing my head off at how absolutely ridiculous all his political BS flag waving is AND then they have the gaul to say "we don't design for price, we design for experience" and release an overpriced P.O. Poop like the new disposable Macbook Pros, well guess again. <<< Spot the first world complaints right here.

You misinterpreted the forced updates comments as far as Windows 10, it had nothing to do with rendering tech obsolete, but hey that's not the first thing you missed in my comments.

I'm done. I wish you a good day.

21. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Android has launchers and themes that resemble the live tiles layout of Windows phones. But they're just glorified Android icons/widgets and not actual live tiles (which are neat). To quote our future president: "Sad."

22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I still don't have a smart phone.

Sauntaero and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Master_Lok, I mean, I'm not really disagreeing with you so much as taking an opportunity to talk about all the reasons I hate Apple
    What exactly are the live tiles, and what do they do? I enjoy the functionality of my Android phone as it is.

On my Windows 10 PCs, I hate the tials and immediately turned off Cortona and installed Classic Shell so I could have a classic start menu experience. At least Windows and Android let you install customizations like that.

I think the most frustrating thing about iPhones, whenever I have to try to use a friend's to navigate or something, is that there's no back button. And no home button.. Oh and no actual desktop where you can selectively list only the apps and widgets you want to. My dad used to have an iPad and would ask us to help him with it, and we could never figure it out. It's supposed to be easy to use, but really I find that this just means it's simplistic and you can't do logical things with it that make it more functional. Because they've dumbed it down so much so the computer illiterate can use it that the computer literate can't use it.

Okay, basically all of it sucks

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Honestly, I'm still on the fence about how I feel about live tiles on a PC. My Windows 10 PC has a classic layout, as it's what I grew up with.

But on a smartphone, live tiles were awesome. It's a similar concept to Android icons/widgets, but the entire layout of your screen is made up of them. They're all customizable too, so you can create a quilted screen with your own color scheme or turn them transparent to display a background wallpaper image.

Regardless, the live tiles are "live" and not stagnant like icons. So, they immediately display updated information from the apps they're representing.

For example, your Facebook live tile will portray a text scroll concerning your most recent Facebook notification. Your text message tile will do a scroll of the last unread message you received, so you can see it without opening it. Same thing with email tiles, calendar tiles, weather tiles, etc. The Cortana tile will rotate her scroll to what information you choose to see (recent news, traffic, reminders, or sometimes just a friendly message from her to you). The camera tile cycles through your favorite pictures in your gallery.

It's an interesting and unique layout. When I first came back to Android, the clutter of bland icons were hard to get reacquainted with, but thank goodness for customized launchers and app drawers.

25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You can get that same thing through widgets... Except that I actually hate getting live updates like that, so I don't use them I only have a few apps set to even give me notifications, because I don't like being bugged. I barely use Facebook or any other social networking thing, so the last thing I want is *more* if that nonsense. So it doesn't sound like my cup of tea.