main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Well, just to break the tension here...

I hate it when you look up one random video on youtube, and for the next few days amidst all the content you do actively seek out you get all kinds of videos popping up on your main page and side bar that are related to just that one video you looked up. Sometimes it doesn't even take that, say for instance if your reading an article, or a thread on an internet forum, and there is a youtube video embedded in it that you play, even for just a few seconds, then later on go to youtube, and you'll see a bunch of videos related to the one you had previously clicked on in the article or thread you were reading. I wish youtube had like a clear history function at the top of the main page you can just click on and have all the content you've been looking at refreshed.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Some of the people I hang out with are even lamer than I am.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I have Spongebob Human Nightmare Fuel in my head.

4. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    [:D]

Wow. A five day suspension? As you are already job hunting, I bet I know what you will do with those five days if that happens. I am glad you are taking steps to get out of there, that is the most healthy thing you can do.

I see this petty BS at my job all the time. Thankfully, it no longer happens in my department, but I have a hard working, good friend in another area who is constantly being raked over coals because his do nothing peer has to look good and kiss butt (and be an absolute arrogant bag of hot air to boot).

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    It's hot here. And it isn't a dry heat either. I wanted to crawl into one of the freezer bins at the supermarket this morning.

Master_Lok and Juliet316 like this.
  6. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, I almost didn't believe it when I first read the proposal.

When it comes to how my management is handling it, I'm really not taking it personally. Managers need to play manager too at some point, so having such a black and white case before them enables them to do so. It's the self serving nature of it that speaks to how much people in the workplace just suck. The fact that there really isn't any need to go this far in issuing out a reprimand, but what it does is serve their own purpose in being able to check off that task and to have on their managerial profile that this is something they did. It's part of their job, and never issuing reprimands means they aren't fully doing their job, so when an opportunity comes up to do so, they jump on it, especially with someone like myself who isn't one of the favorites that they could just as easily not go this far in punishing.

All in all, it's the fact that I was told on that gets to me. None of what is happening bothers me more than that. Because none of this would be happening at all if I hadn't been told on.

And on a personal level as well, the fact that it was something as innocent as attending a Star Wars convention with my brother and sister, for it to get **** on like this on so many levels, when far worse behaviors are exhibited every day by people much more deserving of reprimand and it continually gets let go, is just a further indication that this isn't the place for me to be anymore.

Fortunately I was going to leave this job in September anyway, which I had in mind even prior to all this coming up. I've been planning a trip to go to France for a month at that time, and figured it would be a good transition for me to leave the job, go on the trip, come back, and just reset things. So again, my desire to do that is just strengthened even more.

I'm still waiting on final word on what is going to come down. Which I can then dispute, but won't, because I'm just over it, regardless of what eventual reprimand I am given. My only thought right now is if I should leave the job once that happens, based on the severity of what does get handed down, just to keep my record of federal employment clean and to leave in good standing. As opposed to accepting the reprimand, staying with the job a little while longer, even though I've been planning to leave anyway, only now I would have this big stain on my record that will eventually come up in later background checks for future employment. I should find out this coming week, and then determine what the best course of action will be.

Master_Lok likes this.
  7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

If I was in this position, I would leave without a blemish on the Federal employment record. I'm glad you've been preparing for this, it just sucks when people use information against you; especially for something like that. It's so junior high / grade school tit for tat. You'll soon be in a much better place. I know things will work out for you, regardless. And if you leave with a clean slate, even better.

Just because one isn't enough for crap like that:

[:D]

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  8. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Thank You.

And yea, that's more or less what I'm leaning towards. I'll find out and come to some decisions this week.

And it is truly remarkable how much this kind of thing doesn't change no matter what age people are. There's still that same smallness in people everywhere. I've experienced similar things before in a different workplace, so if anything, this has even bigger implications for me regarding what I eventually want to do with my life.

Master_Lok likes this.
  9. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yup, pettiness and malarky are traits of children of all ages. :rolleyes: (Says she who is trying to rise above that).

Juliet316 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I've got a police helicopter hovering over my house because somebody decided to kill somebody in the military housing neighborhood nearby.

11. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I have tickets to a movie premiere in NYC so now I have make travel arrangements and stuff.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ALERTS. I had been looking forward to sleeping in this morning since last Saturday. Of course my phone starts shrieking like THEM! are ripping the roof off of my house at 5am to inform me that a tornado warning is in effect. A tornado. Hitting the Philadelphia metropolitan area. Because of course it is.

These damn things go berserk at the most absurd times. Amber Alerts at 4 in the morning. Sorry a child is missing. You want to know why I can't help? Because I'm freakin asleep. I haven't seen the missing person or unstable elderly person in their auto or the tornado because I'm trying to sleep.

Totally worth waking up for. I'm posting this from Oz. It's beautiful here.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm sorry the tornado brought you to Australia.

solojones likes this.
  14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Spent 3.5 hours looking at clothes online and couldn't find anything that said, "You'd look marvelous in me." :rolleyes:

Anakin.Skywalker likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I hate when that happens.

Master_Lok likes this.
  16. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Meanwhile, I see a beautiful new leather case for the iPhone 7+ :rolleyes:...

17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *tries not to giggle*

18. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    MotivateR5D4 That whole situation sucks. There are jobs put there that are more flexible with time off, although they may be few and far between. Usually smaller companies, although I'm not sure if that's an option for you.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, it totally sucks. Especially now that the final decision has been handed down and they're sticking with the 5 day suspension. I guess I didn't appear sad enough in my meeting with deciding official about it. Said everything that needed to be said, that I realize my wrongdoing and whatnot, but apparently didn't show enough remorse for it, which he interpreted as me not fully understanding the seriousness of the offense. Which, again, the seriousness of something that is done literally every day by someone given the size of the workforce at this particular agency.

I'm going to be making some serious determinations in the coming weeks about what I'm doing there.

20. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And I exchanged unused Apple stuff for that case today. :p

Commuter instincts served me well this evening, but not this morning. Stuck on a subway for over an hour. Then girl at Pret could not count change and dude at Apple Store was a jerk over nothing (I reported him in the How did we do survey that came with my receipt).

But my phone looks happy and I have a new hat.

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Why is it gas powered lawn mowers cost more than electric ones?

Master_Lok likes this.
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    *Sigh* So the subways are going to heck the just as Amtrak is going to curtail service in and out of Penn Station, meaning I had to reneg on the discount the Lame Island Rail Road offered for not going to Penn because of details like getting home at a semi-reasonable time at night.

And I get an attitude from the window rep, when I was polite. Why he was surly is beyond me, since they got the full fare from me when they do not deserve it. :rolleyes: NYC in the Summer, yo'.

At least now, I have the option of not being penalized if the trains are running out of Penn and the subways to the alternate hubs are down (like today). And, too, access to the nice Lottery agent whom I do quite well with.

Meanwhile, I have staff calling me left and right at the job asking me what should they do about this commute, while my boss blows it off and laughs about it. I'd never hear the end of it if she had to do this every day. As it is, she complains about two subway stops when she can walk to work from her apartment. :rolleyes:

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ugh, try being utterly dependent on the 123. Doesn't need to be summer for those trains to have wacky-ass schedules. [face_frustrated]

Master_Lok likes this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My most recent roommate complained all the time about her 20 minute drive to work, and about any time she got home later than 6:30.... In a city where an hour commute is considered pretty normal, and in an industry where most people can't even leave work until 9pm.

She'd come home and complain to me about it, then go out to dinner or a movie. Meanwhile, I'd still be at home working for four more hours (I was working from home for medical reasons, but working 12-14 hours every day and some weekends).

[face_plain]

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Trying to renew library books and the ****ing site is down.

Master_Lok likes this.