main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we complain about our 1st world problems...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kiki-Gonn, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

Jen Taylor, the voice actress that plays Cortana in the Halo video game series, does the voice for the digital assistant version as well.

I've actually been a big fan of Cortana as a digital assistant since her debut on Windows Phone a few years back. The location reminders have been very useful for things like groceries, workplace things, and even telling me where I parked my car.

Sadly, the Android version of Cortana isn't as robust as the Windows Phone experience. Cortana's ability to read and send text messages for you while in your car was a nice convenience that I enjoyed while using Windows Phone. I have yet to find an app that can do that on Android (neither Google's assistant, Samsung's assistant, various apps, nor Cortana on Android can do this as deftly as Windows Phone Cortana).

However, I'll admit that having Cortana everywhere nowadays (phone, PC, Xbox) can get a bit annoying, as she's constantly telling you things on all your devices. For example, I don't need her to be broadcasting on my TV while using my Xbox that I need to buy more toilet paper, especially if I have company over. :p

Master_Lok likes this.
  2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    The auxiliary serpentine belt has fallen off my car. I am not happy about this. [face_plain]

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am glad you enjoy and get a lot of use from Cortana.[face_rofl] The bold is one of the many reasons why I do not like these AI assistants.

I am not A.I. inclined: Siri is always off. The main reason why I silenced Cortana though is how much data mining it does (and I am sure Siri, Alexa and Google Assistant do this too), however logging my keystrokes and talking when I am trying to learn software are a big old No to me. Spent a lot of time making sure every single privacy / location setting in W10 is shut off. I deleted the tiles from the Start menu.

Windows: I will use it at work and for situations like this, but as long as the loop de loops in Cupertino keep making computers that mostly work, I'll skip using Windows for anything outside of jobs and in situations like this. I guess my aging iMac knew what was up when it vehemently refused to load Win10 via Bootcamp (which put me into the predicament of having to buy a Windows laptop; something I am not happy about, but there was nothing else I could do.)

On the upside, I am taking to Word and Excel well so I'll be able to apply for jobs by mid-November.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I've added apples to my daily diet a year ago, and while I've always had perfect, strong teeth, they've suddenly become very sensitive. Turns out that an apple a day may keep the doctor away, but will definitely have you calling the dentist.

Ugh, and I cancelled my dental coverage because I never needed it. Only for basic checkups, and for that my dentist office said insurance was an unnecessary expense since my teeth were always in great condition.

They're going to be surprised when I go back in now with damaged teeth...if I ever get around to it. Lack of time and funds will definitely get in the way.

5. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Ugh. Two things not to neglect, teeth and eyes. Do you have a health savings account in place? Perhaps, a dental clinic might be the way to go (I had my wisdom teeth yanked at one of those and it went just fine (quite funny actually. As my "cone shaped roots" were apparently a hit with the teaching dentist and his eager interns.)

It could also be the stress with your classes, full time and family life. The other thing, perhaps this dentist can suggest a payment plan if that's possible?

Hope that works out for you.

--
    Woke up from my nap disoriented, and am fumbling around in MS Word on the Mac to figure out how track changes in an article that will be posted online some time today. Apparently, that great built in Editor super duper spell and grammar check is only available online, and I do not use One Drive personal.

6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    My friends are telling me that my other friend wants another chance at dating me, but needs me to make a move. However, they also compare us to Ted and Robin from How I Met Your Mother, which is far from the most flattering TV couple imo. Plus every time we've approached that road in the past, something always came up from either my side or hers.

So I'm not inclined to try this again, regardless of our mutual friends thinking it's an eventuality, much like the tragically bad finale of an otherwise great sitcom.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    If, when looking up a recipe to make something, so I don't have to go to the store to buy it, one of the ingredients is something I have to go to the store to buy, it kind of defeats the purpose of looking up that recipe in the first place.

VadersLaMent and Master_Lok like this.
  8. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    My aging iMac with a 1TB spinner hard drive bottlenecks and slows down the system significantly when storage dips below 700 GB. I blame the sloppy coding of Mac OS, as the previous OS did not get that slow until it dipped to 1/3 storage left (300.)

So I have rely on external drives to add or delete movies I may want or need on the machine. If I had more faith in Windows as far as security, customer service and less data mining, I would get a Windows desktop. Sometimes, I think my stubborn loyalty to Apple is stuck in the year 2009 when they still gave a crap about their computers and OS.

9. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Tesco supermarket , again the shallow trolleys were all out in a bay in the car park meaning I had to walk like 50 yards to get one , what a world , I've a good mind to yell at the manager .

10. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    When it's not necessarily somebody else's fault that something happens to you, but they are definitely the cause of something happening to you.

Like while driving, for example. Say you're on a residential street, you think traffic is going steady, you feel okay taking a second to look down at something, whether it's the radio or maybe to quickly rearrange some groceries you're carrying. Only to then look up and at the last second realize that the driver in front of you has stopped and decided to let someone cross the road, when they really should have just kept going. Now, if you were to hit that person, it would be entirely your fault. However, it was the action of that person and their deviation from what should have been expected from them that would have been the cause of you having collided with them. And had that person not decided to be a martyr at that moment and let someone cross the road when they didn't need to, this collision would have never occurred in the first place. But now, you're completely on the hook for being the cause of this collision.

Thankfully, this did not happen to me today. But I was literally millimeters away from it happening, simply because I took a moment to make sure the pumpkins I had in the back seat hadn't rolled around much. Only to realize just in time that the woman in front of me decided to let a pedestrian cross the road. I don't know, maybe she felt that that pedestrian would have otherwise been in danger had she not stopped at that moment to let them cross the street. That's gotta be why she did it, no?

Anyways, I spent the rest of the ride home thinking how pissed I would be had I actually been at fault for the accident, when really, it was the other person's action that was the cause of it.

11. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I made hummus and forgot I had storebought hummus in the fridge already.

tom likes this.
  12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Sleep paralysis is the worst. Hadn't experienced it in years, until tonight. That feeling that something sinister is in the room with you only adds to the stress of being mind-awake but not body-awake. Ugh.

Thank goodness I've spent so much time meditating. I was able to just relax and wake up entirely.

13. Sake

Sake Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    Since I am about to go to bed reading this feels like a curse.

14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Wow, that does not sound fun.

15. Scapro Tyler

Scapro Tyler Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Had this happen once when I was sleeping at work (on an Ambulance so it was allowed in our off hours). We were stationed in a hospital and woke up but couldn't move and felt like something was crushing my chest. Found out later the room we were in was right above the morgue in the hospital. I still shudder thinking about it.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    As if sleep paralysis in the safety of your room wasn't bad enough....

Ezio Skywalker and Scapro Tyler like this.
  17. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    It's odd how most people with sleep paralysis experiences report the feeling that something "evil" was in the room with them.

The creature in question is always just at the corner of one's eye, but being unable to move your body, no one is ever able to actually see anything.

I don't believe in religion or superstitious things, but this is indeed somewhat interesting.

Juliet316 and Scapro Tyler like this.
  18. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    Yeah. I have been around a lot of death in my career but this was the first time I ever truly felt what I could only describe as an evil presence. Something was in that room with me but I am the only one that experienced it (my partner and nurse were blissfully asleep as I laid there unable to move and eyes wide open).

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I suffer from sleep paralysis.

I've had monsters laying on me and crying in my ear; a wing demon above me and I could feel the air from his wings flapping. But, the scariest was waking up and children with no eyes standing over my bed and telling me "all will be well soon"

20. Scapro Tyler

Oct 17, 2015
    I just legit shuddered.

Juliet316 and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I've had sleep paralysis a few times. It's pretty weird. Usually I just get sort of jolted awake by what seems like a presence.

One time in particular I can remember from when I was a lot younger. I woke up and literally saw something go from like hanging above me or peering over me as if they were standing next my bed to then moving away and disappearing into my closet. The presence I felt, and dare I say saw, was so pronounced, and I was so convinced that somebody was either in or had been in my room, that I even began calling out to my family members who I thought might have come into my room for whatever reason and didn't want me knowing or didn't want to wake me up so they just backed up into my closet when I woke up and saw them. I mean I sat there for a good minute and was practically yelling my sibling's names looking towards my closet because I just was so convinced somebody was in there. Finally when I worked up the nerve to get out of bed and turn my light on, I had to really sit up and gather myself after realizing that nobody had been in my room. I can't say that it felt particularly evil or menacing, it was just frightening because of how utterly pronounced it was. Even now I can look back on this particular instance and still vividly remember watching whatever it was go from being next to/above me to moving into my closet.

22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I've had nightmares where I couldn't get back to sleep for awhile, but most sleep paralysis happens when I am stressed and cannot get back to sleep. Thankfully, this hasn't happened much over the two months I've been out of work now.

That said, I can understand the sense of something malignant in the room that isn't me. I hope none of you have to experience that again or at all.

---

So to delete an empty folder, I had to give my Windows laptop authority to do this and then wait 15 minutes while it was restarting after the delete. :rolleyes:

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    ...what? I've been using Windows (and Android) devices for several years and have never once encountered anything like this. I don't understand why you couldn't just press Shift and Delete, and then click to confirm?

On this topic, I do have several friends who insist that Apple's computers are superior in every way to PCs and that Apple's supposedly superior quality warrants those extravagant price tags. I don't have any first-hand experience myself with Apple computers outside of the old Macs for public schools, but usually the only hiccup I sometimes encounter on PC is when it installs automatic updates and experiences an error (or freezes during the update). Thankfully this hasn't happened in a while.

Master_Lok likes this.
  24. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012

Funny, W7 at ex-job was similar to Macs, just Delete.

Thanks.

Proves I am Mac girl through and through. Not to say, Macs haven't been driving me N-V-T-S over the past four years, but I can quickly figure out the problem with minimal knowledge and time spent (i.e. system is definitely running much slower because of Anti-Virus (no kidding) and Microsoft Office 2016.)

--

Mom got a possible diagnosis for what's been going on for the past four years today. I will be very grateful for, if this is the correct diagnosis and the medications work. Just wish my sister wasn't such a blunt know-it-all about everything, and she & hubby were a bit more sympathetic to what is going on here, but that's family for you. :rolleyes:

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I hope everything works out okay, Master_Lok.

Kiki-Gonn and Master_Lok like this.