main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we get to know each other, goof around and socialize whilst bashing superheroes

Discussion in 'Community' started by Hogarth Wrightson, Jul 16, 2015.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

Well done, Ditty.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Val couldn't beat Clark according to Adventure #346.

He was able to later hold his own against Clark, when the latter was acting all aggressive and hostile.

As to Batman, there's two of these fights.

[​IMG]

The other that you speak of is "The Lightning Saga" and "Countdown To Final Crisis".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There, Bruce was getting his ass handed to him until Black Lightning woke up and zapped him.

It's not that great. Slater does well in the role, but everything else is crap. The only other good thing is Goldsmith's score.

No, but it was a bit unnecessary. The thing is that half of time, Kara Zor-El is a minor. The movie really dances around that and the adaptation drawn by Gary Marrow doesn't help. At the time the movie was made, the character was over the age of eighteen, but if it was more faithful to the comics in that regard, it would be an issue.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Yeah, that's what I said.

4. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    I've squashed cockroaches that were more appealing than Superman III and IV.

But Supergirl is much prettier than any of these.

That's right, I said it: Supergirl is prettier than a cockroach. Bring on the controversy!

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I am a comic book dork and the last two pages make me ashamed of being so.

I shall join Watto's League of Anti-Monitors.

Ramza, harpua and SuperWatto like this.
  6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Superman 3 falls into a category of bad films I can watch. Quest for Peace is as unwatchable as Battlefield Earth.

And I can't believe my rpg rant has been relegated to the unread last post of a page. :rolleyes:

Hogarth Wrightson likes this.
  7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Sorry, but "Superman III" is better despite Pryor's hi-jinks. The main Superman plot was better than the "Supergirl" plot.

The point is that Clark is more durable than Val and in the tryout, Clark is in his right mind compared to their second one.

[​IMG]

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So, this is now just another superhero thread?

Bacon164, epic , darth_gersh and 3 others like this.
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Artist Gene Colan.

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Such talent... all wasted.

11. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Batman is boring

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I can think of others more boring.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, he's no Bicycle Repair Man.

Still the best live-action Superman production.

14. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  15. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Some people haven't even introduced themselves.

16. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
  18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Deadshot vs Punisher who wins?

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Why is it a waste? First off, have you ever bothered to look up the credits for any of the writers and artists out there? No, obviously you didn't. Let's take a look at Gene Colan, who drew that issue of Batman with Deadshot's profile.

He drew some issues of Captain America, but he also did "Our Army At War", "All-American Men At War" and a lot of war comics for Atlas Comics. He later did some work for DC on "Hopalong Cassidy" and "DC Romance". Then he did begin working on superhero comics, including co-creating the Falcon for the Captain America series. He also worked on horror comics for Warren Publishing. Then he did "Tomb Of Dracula" and "Howard The Duck", both of which weren't superhero comics though the heroes did occasionally appear. In addition to his work with Batman and Wonder Woman, he also worked on "Silverblade", a non superhero title and the two "Nathaniel Dusk" mini-series for DC. The latter also not about tights.

He also worked for Dark Horse Comics and Eclipse Comics, without tights again. He did work with "Archie" and an adaptation of Clive Barker's "The Harrowers: Raiders Of The Abyss". He also did some insert art on Rob Zombie's, "Hillbilly Deluxe" album and taught art for the School Of Visual Arts and the Fashion Institute Of Technology. He's even in the Hall of Fame for his work.

So I think prior to his death, he wouldn't consider his career "wasted" just because he drew superhero comics.

Accuracy would go to Floyd, while Frank has the firepower and the deathwish.

20. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    If you draw Batman, you're wasting your talent on fluff.

^ just an opinion

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    WTF is this not-bashing nonsense? Go home, sinister, yer drunk.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not sure why you're focusing so much on comic books themselves, SuperWat. They're a niche interest; it's not as though they're siphoning talent from... uh, I'm not sure what the alternatives are. Advertising? Anyway, you seem to vastly overestimate their actual popularity. It's the movie adaptations that are cash vacuums. Like, for example, a huge convention in San Diego that ostensibly focuses on comic books is dominated-- and has been for quite a long time-- by more lucrative film, television, and video game properties.

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Further, as the Fast and Furious demonstrates, the global marketplace is perfectly willing to eat up completely stupid "original" properties that have nothing to do with comic books at all. If they weren't there, something else mindless can and would take their place.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Storm didn't have good lines.

25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I don't overestimate the popularity of comic books. In fact, I have been lamenting their demise for over a decade. The crusade you're witnessing is only the outcome.
    I just love comics. It's a personal interest, and has been one for over 30 years. If you look at my comic book bookcase, only 10% is American. It should be more. And it could be more, if the big publishers didn't just put all their money behind superheroes. Hence the crusade.
    There's some Eisner in my bookcase. Some Wilson, some Sacco. Some Wally Wood, and some Alex Raymond. A lot of Carl Barks. Rogue1-and-a-half sold me on Charles Schulz. Those are all very original comic book artists, But they get washed away in these times. You know it. Ramza may say there's a Men In Black topic or a American Splendor thread somewhere here, but topics like that are drowned out by the sheer number of superhero threads. And I happen to think (opinion) that superheroes are very shallow. So basically all I pine for on here is just a bit more variation. In a dying medium. Maybe I think reinventing it will reinvigorate it. I don't know. But it's better than this, one big nostalgia show.