main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we have a mid-life crisis

Discussion in 'Community' started by slightly_unhinged, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Also, if you do go on a date with gym lady, tell her you have no past, and that you were created in a laboratory six months ago

AmySolo and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  2. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    My father died of cancer about twenty years ago. I was too involved in a kinda party lifestyle to fully face his death. I'm not sure I could have handled it. So years later I had the opportunity to step up and volunteer to take care of my mother who has Alzheimer's, that's what I'm currently doing in life, I'm a full time carer.

I've a daughter who lives with me, Bronwen, she's fourteen and came out last year to me as gay, then she came out to everyone on facebook, I had a fair idea she was, I mean her walls had posters of women, it reminded me of my room when I was a teen. Anyway I read up on it, and it seems that some people just know their sexuality at that age, at the time I felt she was a bit young and didn't fully understand herself.

This is how I became a single parent. My father's passing years before coincided with me making improvements in my life, what happened to him was the catalyst. I went back to education and fell in love. After my partner gave birth she suffered from postpartum depression, she changed and was diagnosed with paranoid bi polar schizophrenic disorder. She took our daughter and went to the states, I live in ireland by the way, and the rights of an unmarried father were minimal. After a long couple of years, while I was studying english, philosophy and anthropology a court in Oregon awarded me custody. So I became a single father, I had a greater understanding of the mental illness afflicting my partner and it's as real as the cancer that killed my father.

I decided to see if it could work as a family, she came back to ireland. It was a tough few years, my partner was on meds, she functioned fine and was a great mom at times, but other times the world seemed weird to her. So I put the upbringing of our daughter first. We separated, my daughter still sees her on weekends when she's well.

I'm forty three this year, so regarding a pending midlife crisis, I feel calmer and more grounded than ever before. I've never driven a car so I've no urge to buy a certain type. I do get nostalgic, I try and avoid sounding like grandpa simpson to my daughter, though I do frequently tell how brilliant the 80s were. My eyesight is holding up but my knees get a bit achy.

I eat healthily, I cook for my daughter and mom. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs, though they were all part of my life at one stage. I sometimes dwell on mistakes in my past but because I'm content with life, those mistakes helped me get to this place. And I wouldn't change a thing about my life at this moment.

yankee8255, epic , AmySolo and 4 others like this.
  3. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Howsabout this? Last 12 years, I have basically had no ties, no debt (thank you, universal tertiary education), no home that I 've had to pay for and have been ticking off my bucket list (cliched stuff like swimming with sharks, living in France and crazier ****) - I have absolute freedom and have just turned down a stable, pretty well paid job in a place with people who totally respect and appreciate me and though I am screaming on the inside for some form of stability (at least location wise), I am terrified of turning back into the miserable person I was before I dropped out of the system, a decade ago.

I am buying stuff I really don't need and have no idea what I am supposed to be doing for the rest of my life, other than some small sense that I should prepare to take care of myself (financially, accommodation wise) for when I invariably and inevitably get older and eventually get sick .

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm so boring.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, you're not.

Chewies_bandolier likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Okay, I wear clown pants all the time, but apart from that...

AmySolo likes this.
  7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    ^^ dad joke

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ugh, the mid crisis parts I can handle, it's the body beginning to betray me that I find much harder to handle. I do love chiropractors though.

Kerr_Plunk likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Does your left hand try to strangle you to death at random points too?

Chewies_bandolier, Sarge and AmySolo like this.
  10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    nah just the usual, body parts hurting after something strenuous like a night's sleep.

SuperWatto likes this.
  11. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  12. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Shot out of the womb at high speed, aimed directly at your own grave in a largely uncontrolled flight. Perhaps the best television commercial ever made.

SuperWatto and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Last year I had a partially herniated disc at C5/C6. Apparently as you get older "it just goes".

What the actual ****, body? You turncoat!

yankee8255 and Healer_Leona like this.
  14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

Or in the words of Louis CK: "When you're forty, if you go to the doctor - they stop trying to fix ****. They just go "yeah, it starts to happen." They don't care!"

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was having muscle spasms in my back a few weeks ago and went to the doctor hoping that it WASN'T a herniated disc. The doctor said, "I think your hips might have shifted during your last pregnancy."

Me: Erm, OK. He's almost 9.

The translation seemed to be "I have no idea what the hell happened to you."

Sarge and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  16. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I can't be old yet. I still haven't been to Ibiza.
    Despite the fact I've done drugs in some pretty strange places....

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    suppositories

mrsvos, yankee8255, Ender Sai and 4 others like this.
  18. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    On the plus side, it's taken 48+ years, but I can finally grow a decent beard.

Kerr_Plunk, Sarge and AmySolo like this.
  19. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    oh crap i forgot about my crem google project.

20. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014

NOOOOOOOOO! :eek:

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Endoscopy and colonoscopy this coming Wednesday.

22. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Yeesh good luck with that.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

The day before is gonna suck. I can eat jello but nothing red or purple. I can have popsicles. Vitamin water. Applesauce. And broth. That's it. All day.

24. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    Oh and you have to take the stuff that cleans you out. So far I've not done but I know a few who have. This is one of the things I fear.

25. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    On the plus side, you'll get to see some quality footage of your pewp chute.

Kerr_Plunk and VadersLaMent like this.