main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC itt you make me gooder at difficult english

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zapdos, Feb 19, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You can find great beauty in the English language, but the subtle music of intonation, rhythm, and meter are rarely practiced these days by orators or poets. Though at least there are still some wonderfully talented and inventive poets still around -- speechmakers, not so much.

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    English wasn't in Britain until after the Romans left. AFAIK, most Latin root words came via French and snooty people.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    If you want to get a sense for how the American English dialect can be used to full effect, I would recommend - and strictly as a non-American - The West Wing.

The way in which the characters speak may be far removed from reality, but goddamn it's beautiful. If you want a practical way to speak wonderfully, Zapdos, start watching the West Wing. IMO.

This is why I <3 and recommend Stephen Fry.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It will also teach you the valuable skill of navigating narrow hallways while holding conversations.

5. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    West wing is great if you like shows where everyone is walking in a hurry, and talking over their shoulders at people

Edit: lols, just read jello's comment

6. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ignoring the tendency for masturbatory patriotism, this exchange is why I think you'd benefit from some West Wing:

Bartlet: Did you know that two thousand years ago a Roman citizen could walk across the face of the known world free of the fear of molestation? He could walk across the Earth unharmed, cloaked only in the protection of the words civis Romanus -- I am a Roman citizen. So great was the retribution of Rome, universally understood as certain, should any harm befall even one of its citizens. Where was Morris's protection, or anybody else on that airplane? Where was the retribution for the families, and where is the warning to the rest of the world that Americans shall walk this Earth unharmed, lest the clenched fist of the most mighty military force in the history of mankind comes crashing down on your house?! In other words, Leo, what the hell are we doing here?!Leo: We are behaving the way a superpower ought to behave.Bartlet: Well our behavior has produced some crappy results; in fact I'm not a hundred per cent sure it hasn'tinduced it.
    Leo: What are you talking about?
    Bartlet: I'm talking about two hundred and eighty-six American marines in Beirut, I'm talking about Somalia, I'm talking about Nairobi-
    Leo: And you think ratcheting up the body count's gonna act as a deterrent?
    Bartlet: You're damn right I-
    Leo: Oh, then you are just as stupid as these guys who think capital punishment is going to be a deterrent for drug kingpins. As if drug kingpins didn't live their day to day lives under the possibility of execution, and their executions are a lot less dainty than ours and tend to take place without the bother and expense of due process. So, my friend, if you want to start using American military strength as the arm of the Lord, you can do that. We're the only superpower left. You can conquer the world, like Charlemagne! But you better be prepared to kill everyone. And you better start with me, because I will raise up an army against you and I will beat you!
    Bartlet: He had a ten-day old baby at home.
    Leo: I know.
    Bartlet: We are doing nothing.
    Leo: We are not doing nothing.
    Bartlet: We're destroying-
    Leo: Four high-rated military targets!
    Bartlet: And this is good?
    Leo: Of course it's not good. There is no good. It's what there is! It's how you behave if you're the most powerful nation in the world. It's proportional, it's reasonable, it's responsible, it's merciful! It's not nothing. Four high-rated military targets.
    Bartlet: Which they'll rebuild again in six months.
    Leo: Then we'll blow 'em up again in six months! We're getting really good at it... It's what our fathers taught us.
    Bartlet: Why didn't you say so? Oh, Leo...when I think of all the work you put in to get me to run and all the work you did to get me elected...I could pummel your ass with a baseball bat.

heels1785 likes this.
  8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Guerrilla
    Rendezvous
    Zeitgeist
    Pizza

heels1785 likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    ^ I assume these are titles for our upcoming Actual Muppets album?

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Some of my favorites...

Shenanigans
    Ruckus
    Necrophilia
    Embalming fluid
    Blatherskite

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    screw all dem classic poets, man, bukowski is where it's at yo

12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Rapscallion

"You cheeky rapscallion"

As for poems I like rudyard kipling. My old office had one of his called "gods of the copybook headings" painted down the walls of a four story staircase.

Then there's his feminist classic "If", but everyone chooses that

13. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I would recommend scheduling private tutoring with beezel.

No, your English won't improve, but you should be able to scam him out of enough money to pay for a real tutor.

14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Why scam, when you can purloin

15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i used the word malaise the other day. i was quite proud.

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I've used "wizardry" in a meeting.

Darth Punk likes this.
  17. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Twerk
    Trill
    On Fleek

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    yeah, but you were ordering a sandwich, and you had a cold

EHT and Jabbadabbado like this.
  19. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The secret to proficiency is to focus on 100 words. If you can master the 100 most-used words, you're golden. Then throw in a bit of idiom as time allows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_common_words_in_English

Most (99) people (61) do (19) not (13) stray far from (25) that (8) list when (51) they (26) speak or (31) write.

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I've used it in a lecture, but only because I was referencing The Return of Werdna.

21. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

22. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    we herd

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Zapdos - Stephen Fry's Planet Word. You'll love it.