main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC itt you prepare me for the americas

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zapdos, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Certain foods such as corn (which is used for things such as HFCS and livestock) are cheaper than fresh fruits and vegetables because of the way the subsidies work. Big contributor to the obesity problem.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It's true. It's difficult to eat healthy on a low budget.

slightly_unhinged and Juliet316 like this.
  3. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    No doubt.
    If you're starving from a shift at a slave wage manual labor job, a few bucks at a fast food joint will fill you up like nothing else (pure calories per dollar).

slightly_unhinged and Juliet316 like this.
  4. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Corn and soy, to some extent wheat. They're in everything. It's getting that way here, too. The fact that they're used to feed livestock ruins the omega3 to omega6 ratio in meat. The lack of biodiversity in the standard american diet is ruinous to the gut biome, the health of which is key to our immune system. Coupled with the prevalence of sugars (esp high fructose corn syrup) and high, pro-inflammatory omega 6, we're setting up the new generation to have a life expectancy less than that of their parents. As a side note, oestrogen (note the correct spelling, chaps) receptors are notorious for latching on to anything that looks vaguely like that hormone. This includes xenoestrogens like BPA in plastics and the phytoestrogens found in soy. Fine in small doses but the typical Western intake leads to endochrine disruption and an increased risk of cervical and prostate cancers as well as something of an obesogenic effect. Gynecomastia (man bewbs) is an extreme but increasingly common effect.

Quite apart from all the above, getting the majority of your food intake from just three species, particularly when only the most financially viable strains are used, is pretty obviously not-a-good-thing.

The joys of studying to qualify as a nutritionist. You find all kinds of new things to be cheerful about.

Sorry for the serious (and off-topic) post but people's health, physical and mental, is being ruined by your agricultual model; it poses a greater health risk than tobacco ever did and the fact that it's being adopted in europe rustles my jimmies.

Gamiel and Ender Sai like this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    People who eat pizza for breakfast can't cook. People who make pizza using breakfast shouldn't be allowed to.

6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That depends. I suppose you could hit McDonald's, buy off the dollar menu and spend $2-3 per person for a meal. However, If I took the Mrs. and kids, it would probably run me $25 or so. I can get ingredients for spaghetti for about $5 and make enough for two dinners for five people. Salad would be a bit more, depending on ingredients. Naturally if you get into pricy meats for the home meal the price rises, as it should. A USDA Prime cut of New York Strip or Mignon should quite rightly cost more than a Big Mac.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Speaking of spaghetti... Something that's ridiculous in here: the amount of sugar everything has, especially easy to notice in tomato sauce. The first time I tried some store-bought tomato sauce I thought for a second I was having some kind of tomato syrup. I took a look at the ingredients and... oh boy. It's a bomb. To find tomato sauce that's just tomato, salt and oil, I usually have to go to the Mexican food section of the store, or just say "screw it" and make it myself.

It could be worse, I guess. It could be high-fructose corn syrup.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

There are some good organics which don't seem that comparatively expensive, though that's potentially my NYC mindset (everything is expensive!). If you want reqs, hit me up, if you're not making your own!

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have anybody else here seen BBC's The Men Who Made Us Fat ?

Darth Punk likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's very simple, tom. Royalty comes with carriages, medals, hats, and trumpets. What do all these have in common? They're shiny.

Humans are biologically programmed to like shiny things. Observe the behavior of babies around keys, for instance.

Thus, monarchy is awesome. And if monarchy is not your cup of tea (e.g. Most of you), we could at the very least have a shiny republic. France has been one since 1870, and they still have armored and feather-festooned ceremonial guards and parades. Why can't we?

P.S. also it is pretty cool that ppl can raise tons of money for charities and public interests just by being there, and that they do so without the attention-seeking narcissism of most celebrities. Unlike, say, the disgraceful Savoys, the Windsors tend to do a lot of good.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

slightly_unhinged and Gamiel like this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Oh yes, I'd welcome any suggestions!

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

kk, I'm back home next week so I shall take pictures for you!

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Pictures?

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Makes it easier to identify on a shelf or online to match name to jar...

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Maybe, for a toddler. :p

16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    even if that were true, if you know the name i'm sure pictures already exist.

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    On top of the sugar in tomato, it's almost impossible to find tomatoes not sold in a aluminum can.

18. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I object.

Darth Tunes , Kiki-Gonn and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Congratulations! You live in a more backward state than Texas, where "fresh" tomatoes are aplenty!

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, when I read that I was like wut.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    On the plus side, I live next to NJ -- which has, no joke, some of the better tomato and blueberry industries in the country. It's about the only thing NJ has going for it, but I'll take it...

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Scratching my head about the lack of produce departments in TN. Lol

23. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Just grow them. This is one of the perks of living in Iowa, fresh produce is never hard to find and we have some damn good farmers markets here with produce at VERY affordable prices almost every weekend.

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds like heaven.

25. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002

Yeah....we have fresh tomatoes, but if you want them puréed or pre-diced you pretty much get them in a can. I can't be arsed to peel and strain the seeds out.