main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ITT you suggest cool iphone applications for me

Discussion in 'Community' started by Katya Jade, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I finally got an iphone and have no idea of what apps I should be looking to get. Go.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Because I am a list maker, I love this one called UltraList. I keep track of groceries, errands and other to do lists and checklists. [face_love]

Also the Google apps, Facebook and I use one to track gas fillups called Gas Cubby.

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Twitterrific
    The Bible (YouVersion ummm... version)
    WootWatch
    TFU Lightsaber
    Weatherbug Elite
    Shazam
    Urbanspoon
    Pandora
    vlingo
    Wikipanion
    Space Invaders Infinity Gene
    Blackjack
    Drink & Cocktail Recipes
    Amazon
    Ebay

Those are the ones I use the most.

You're going to love the heck outta that iPhone, Kate.

AYBABTU?

4. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Useful:
    Shazam (free) - This really should be included as standard with all iphones...listens and identifies pretty much any recorded song, even if it's at a noisy bar.
    Facebook (free) - I pretty much like this version better than checking fb on my PC. TwitterFon & LinkedIn are also free if you have accounts at either one of those places.
    Urbanspoon (free) - Could be better, but not bad...Find resturants in your area by price/type.
    Radio Finder ($.99) - Useful if you're driving on vacation or something and you don't have a satellite radio...lists radio stations by type and how strong the signal is from where you're at.

Free Games & Non-useful fun:
    Lightsaber
    More Cowbell
    Rimshot!
    iPint
    Morocco
    - 'Othello' board game
    Sway Lite

Non-Free games...you can find 'Lite' versions of a lot of games for free...these were ones that I fell upgrading to the full was worth the $:
    Peggle $4.99 (I got this when it was on sale at $1.99, but would have paid full price)
    Parachute Panic $.99
    Touchgrind $4.99 - Finger Skateboarding...pretty much the best thing ever.
    Solebon Solitaire $1.99 - tons of solitare games...the free version is good too.

5. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Cool. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get my info set up. We got it from a friend who got the newest version so it still has his email account showing. I have the synch cable but after that, I get stuck. I hooked it up to my pc and itunes showed a message about 'genius' but then, nothing. I'm used to my Blackberry automatically booting up what I need so I'm kind of lost here.

6. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    First, I'd start iTunes without connecting your iphone...you can turn the genius function off, or at least cancel the updating it does upon booting up. Assuming your friend de-authorized the iphone before giving it to you, and you have your phone number with AT&T and already setup on the specific iphone plan, then connecting your phone after iTunes is up is all you really need to do.

7. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Ah...that's the key. I just got it this morning and I haven't called AT&T yet. I'm not set up on anything yet. So, call them and tell them I now have an iphone instead of my Blackberry and they'll help me with that?

8. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

You'll at least need to do an IMEI update with AT&T, and also change your data plan to the unlimited iPhone plan.

This assumes that you've moved your SIM over from your BB.

AYBABTU?

9. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, iphones have a specific plan that you have to sign up for...I assume you can do it over the phone, if not, you can go to any AT&T dealer and they can make the swtich.

Edit:
    I had a Cingular Smart Phone (just before they were bought out by AT&T)...all they did was switch my phone number to the iphone plan, then once I plugged in my iphone, it asked for my phone number, and I was off and running.

10. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, I switched over my SIM card so that's done. Okay, I'll call AT&T and hopefully we can make that switch over the phone. Thanks!

11. Ambassador Cara Jade

Ambassador Cara Jade Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 23, 1999
    Pocket God! Play deity to your own little island of pygmies...teach them to fish, blow them away in a hurricane, strike them with lightning, feed them to fire ants...etc etc etc...It's extremely addicting.

12. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Well, apparently I need a new SIM card. Ugh. So I'm off to the AT&T store this afternoon and, hopefully, I'll be lightsabering and posting from my iphone soon after.

13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  14. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
  15. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    ARGH. I went to the AT&T store, got the new SIM card and he reset it for me. After two hours, it finally gave me the little sign to hook it up to iTunes and when I plug the cable into the computer...NADA. Zip. Nothing. Either the cable is screwed or I'm doing something wrong. FRUSTRATION.

16. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    How about the "How to get Pekay an iphone" application.

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Baby shaking.

18. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    I won't be getting any apps if I can't get this to work!

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i got this, but got bored of it very, very quickly.

the answer to all your problems is this: Monopoly: Here and Now. i played this like every day until i lost my iphone in a drunken haze. luckily it seems my insurance scam may pay off seeing my theif has been actively calling Nigeria (honestly) between the actual theft and the time i reported it lost (2 months, as necessitated by my insurance policy). anyway, Monopoly.

20. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    It's obviously a bomb and you need to mail it to me to deactivate.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    The previous version of Shazam was better, as the newest one is slower and more cluttered (asks you if you want to use your current location for something), including advertisements in the application.

My applications are like my OS X widgets. I don't have many and other than Shazam, I hardly use any of them.

22. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Fieldrunners is the definitive desktop tower defense game for the iPhone. I've killed hours with that game.

Also, you have to get Peggle. Its incredibly addicting.

23. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Okay, iPhone is working. Someone tell me about Tweetdeck and/or Tweetie. What's the best app for doing my updates?

Today I shall be app shopping!

24. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    What's the point Katey, you're just going to drop this one in the pool too. :p

25. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    No, no, no. I didn't drop it in the pool, I had it in my pocket and walked into the pool. Big difference!