main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ITT you suggest cool iphone applications for me

Discussion in 'Community' started by Katya Jade, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Siriah

Siriah Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2010
    Okay, here goes.

Stanza is an absolute necessity, if you like to read. It's a great ebook reader by Amazon, and it hooks up seamlessly to many free sources for books. Right now, I'm reading the Thrawn trilogy on my iPhone. It's free.

SleepCycle is a very nifty concept. I find it does a decent job of tracking my sleep cycle and waking me up in a non-obtrusive way. It's about $2.

Skype is a great app if you use that for an instant messenger like I do. It's free, and it lets iPod touches make calls to other skype users if they have a mic.

If you've never tried SimpleNote, I highly recommend it -- you can write notes on that app, and it automatically syncs to the Simplenote website, which you can then access with your computer. Also, it doesn't use the stupid Marker Felt font, so it's bearable, unlike the built-in Notes app. It's free.

If you use IRC, Colloquy is an absolute necessity. It runs about $3-4, I think.

The Facebook app is pretty awesome, though there are some holes in its coverage. Still, worth getting, and free.

As far as games go, I like Paper Toss for a free game. It's absolutely infuriating, but still fun to play.

Non-free, I have Rockband, which runs $10, but I find is often too processor-intensive for me to want to use too often. Still, it's a nice distraction, and there's no denying there's a lot of gameplay in there for $10. Frankly, though, I think you'd be far better spending $2 and picking up Angry Birds, which is just a fantastic game in a lot of ways.

That's mostly what I have and use on a daily basis.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How does stanza compare to iBooks? Does it use the same library as iBooks? I've already uploaded some books I want to read to there.

edit: different library. Had to reupload them, and sorting on Stanza is a pain. :(

3. Siriah

Siriah Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2010
    If you've got iBooks, then go for that. Up here in Canada, the iBookStore isn't open yet, so it's pretty unusable.

4. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I forgot to say: I already got the Facebook app but thanks for the rest of the suggestions. That SleepCycle sounds interesting.

5. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    LucasArts released a new Star Wars game app, kind of like a tower defense game. Pretty slick so far.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Bump on request.

7. IellaAntilles

IellaAntilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2000
    Hipstamatic(pay) Zombie Farm(free) and Words with Friends(2 versions, the pay version is of course better)

8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I can't believe no-one mentioned Angry Birds (unless I missed it). Also get Plants vs Zombies, the Facebook app, Echofon Twtter app (the official Twitter app used to be good, but then they went in put in the stupid trending bar at the top), Star Walk and FlickStackr.

9. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I completely agree about Angry Birds. Haven't gotten to the sequel, Seasons, yet though. I also like the NPR News and Music apps.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My favorite apps are Facebook, Foursquare, AP news, my local paper's app, the Weather Channel, the Carb Lovers' Diet (which is mostly recipes), the MyRecipes dinner spinner, the Starbucks store locator and Mapquest. I have Pandora, Skype and the Kindle app but haven't used them much. I paid $.99 for the APA style app due to grad school. I also paid for a few kids' game apps from PBS and Nickelodeon.

ETA: There is also a Star Wars books app for $.99 if you're into the EU at all. It lists all the EU books by era, links to the Wookieepedia summaries, and lets you mark them as read, unread, want to read. Also divides them up into kids' books and adult books.

11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Star Walk is awesome, even if you have an iPod Touch without a camera.

12. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    I get to spend 5 hours on a plane on Tuesday and am looking for games, because apparently I only brought Harry Potter movies and the last few discs of Battlestar Galactica to watch on my laptop. Any suggestions? I have Angry Birds, but it won't hold my attention that long.

EDIT: Lego Harry Potter?!?!? I may have found my answer, but other suggestions will still be appreciated. :p

13. IellaAntilles

IellaAntilles Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2000
    I would say Lego Harry Potter, it is very easy to play it for hours and not realize you're doing it(at least, it is with the Wii version)

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Plane? Well, you said you're using a laptop for movies but I use my iPhone (and used to use my iPod) for those because I get more battery life with the battery peripherals. Plus, the resolution on the iPhone is pretttty darn good.

Otherwise, I load up my phone with books because it beats carrying 50,000 books onto planes like I used to do. :p

15. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    The trip to the bookstore is tomorrow. :p I have Guns, Germs, and Steel with me, but it reads like a doctoral thesis. I just can't take it. I like to have options.

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000