1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:NZ iTunes music store allegedly opening here in days?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRaptorOne Jedi Padawan

Hey STH! I love having my favourite shows on DVD, too. I more than a few boxed sets on my selves, much to my partner's dismay. I bought BSG Season II when it first came out in the US for $140NZ! [face_hypnotized] I'm a bit of a fan and would rather not wait the extra 6 months for it to come out on DVD here in Region 4.

But, I like watching videos on my iPod on my way to work, too. As of now I don't know how to convert my BSG DVDs to files I can shove on my iPod. Not a really tecno-geek with those skills, yet. :-B Anyone know how to??

Also, the BSG webisodes are only available through iTunes and just downloading the normal episodes via iTunes would be an easy option, solving my problems. At $1.99US an episode and a shortish download time via Telstra broadband, it would be fine with me. That's all assuming I could do it! Which I can't! :mad: :_|

I would be a lot more understanding if it was free or they were trying to stop it from being illegally downloaded, but I, like many others, would happily pay to download stuff from other regions.:_|
  2. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah, I know. I feel you pain man. It's all licensing issues though. A TV network will buy the rights to broadcast something here, and that'll give them rights to it for a certain time. It's the same reason majot studios were getting angsty about DVD-hire places parallel importing DVDs of films which hadn't screened in New Zealand.

By all acounts season III of BSG is supposed to be pretty awesome.
  3. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Fiona Rae over at Public Address is singing its praises. I wonder if I can convince mark to buy it then lend me the box-set(s)
  4. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    JP

I don't have the mini series but do have season I & II. (We've only jusst started on II) You're welcome to borrow them if you like. Great stuff. Oh, check your email re: Sopranos.
  5. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Sweet - some Summer vierwing. I watched the miniseries when it aired, so no loss there.
  6. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    http://www.publicaddress.net/default,3771.sm#post3771

Can't see it yet either...
  7. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Mark Perry was loving it on Hauraki this morning!
  8. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, it's pretty empty at the moment - but seems they're adding content on the go...
  9. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't beleive in paying for music :D
  10. zacparis VIP

star 7
    What music catalogue will you get? Same as Oz?
  11. YouAgain Force Ghost

star 5

QFT

I'll pay for the cd's of Local bands selling their cds independantly, but why should I give more money to the record company's and stuff, artists only get a tiny bit of the cut...
  12. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    You guys are idiots. Non-Indy Local albums (which almost always make a loss) couldn't be funded/subsidised withought the funds from the sales of international catalogue.

13. SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Knight

star 3
    Youagain ... sadly, if it wasn't for massive sellers like (ulp) Celine Dion and Nickleback, there'd be a lot _less_ indie music around. As someone involved in the running on an indie record label here in NZ, I know how desperately hard it is to actually make any money - hell - to even break even to cover costs. You can't begrudge anyone for signing to a major label because that they artists at least get some kind of revenue stream. The huge profits from the sludge MOR stations play all days is what pays for the sorts of bands who don't sell in big numbers.
  14. SithForceLord Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ****, why pay for music? Why pay for petrol, we're only lining the pockets of companies that are already rich!

[face_plain]

Be sensible.

edit = I've used amplifier.co.nz for a while downloading and paying for music, it's been great for some of the more rare NZ stuff :) itunes will be good though.
  15. solo77 Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't care about all that stuff, all I said was I don't like paying for music.

I know I can get it at places for free so why would I willingly fork out money for it, that is my only argument.
  16. YouAgain Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't see why I should pay 20 dollars for say a Guns 'N' Roses album when those guys are already loaded and I can get their songs off of any p2p program, Where as paying $7 to go to a local punk gig and then shelling out $15 for a CD of a band playing there I could handle even though half of their songs are already on myspace.

sure it may not work in the real world, but you gotta stand by you principles!!
  17. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Funny, it would seem you don't actually have any principles.
  18. RedRaptorOne Jedi Padawan

Ah, the youth of today!

Why should I pay for music? [face_laugh]

Pardon?!

Did you make the music? Did you write the lyrics? No?! Mmmmm, maybe that's why you should pay for someone else's intellectual property. Just a thought... [face_tired]

I remember in the oh-so-ancient-past when you could only get music by buying albums. And yes, we did have television and motorcars back in those crazy olden-days!

I really like iTunes, now I can pay $1.79 for the one song on a cd album I want and not have to shell out for the whole thing. Bonus. Like, say, that newish Brook Fraser single. I like it and want to own it but don't want to shell out for an entire CD (~$24NZ) that I probably wouldn't listen too.

Now if they'd only sortout those BSG episodes so I can buy them too! :_|

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go find my walking frame...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.