main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I've been gone for a while

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by darth-nerfherder, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth-nerfherder

darth-nerfherder Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2004
    any recommendations of how to watch the saga. I want my kids to see it as I did: 4,5,6,...1,2,3.

I hope I don't get a lot of flaming, but I have baby on the way! and I've been away for awhile! thanks!

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    1-6 is the only proper way now.

3. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    You should introduce your kids to it anyway you want. A small child is going to have a lot of questions anyway you cut it. Watch it the way you like it best, that way your child will share your enthusiasm and excitement.

As this site will always remind you, get 3 Star Wars fans in a room and you will get at least four very passionate, well argued positions!

Of course, it is all about taste and opinion, so there is no right answer. So do what works for you and ignore the posts that tell you that there is a "right way to watch the Saga"--they are really good, fun, entertaining films with a positive message after all, not some kind of religious lectionary that must be read in a particular order!

4. darth-nerfherder

darth-nerfherder Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2004
    thanks man!!!! that really meant a lot!

5. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah, don't watch it 1-6 just because that's how Lucas says it should be watched or 4 - 3 just because a lot of fans(myself included) prefer the OT. If the way you wanted to watch it was 6, 1, 2, 4, 3, 1, 5 that's how you should watch it.

6. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Do it that way. Totally.

Funny that you say this. My wife's sister is a Star Wars Virgin. She's caught little bits here and there but largley ignored it - until she saw my Star Wars room - now she's ready to give it a shot.

SHowing here Episode 1 first, I think, will turn her off the whole saga, so I'm planning on showing her the movies over 3 Saturdays.

Week 1 - Ep 4, 5
    Week 2 - Ep 6, 1
    Week 3 - Ep 2, 3

7. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Personally I feel we didn't get as much out of the prequels as we could have seeing them in the order produced.

But if you have already decided to show them in a certain order, I don't see the point in asking us about it.

Seeing them in the order we did will spoil everything about the prequels, and then all they will have left to be surprised by is Jake Lloyd's performance and Jar-Jar Binks.

8. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
    Pffft.[face_shame_on_you]

9. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    Being the long time STAR WARS fan that I am, my first time viewing each episode was in order of release and that absolutely worked. Ever since I have equaled my number of viewings for each epiode, I have viewed them in order by episode number and that absolutely works.

If I were to show them to someone for their first time viewing them, I would show them to that person in order by episode number.

Either way, your kids will be experiencing something special. :cool:

Congratulations on the "baby on the way!" :)

10. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I felt a great disturbance in the Force...as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

11. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    Well, this topic certainly comes up over and over, but I recommend 1-4-2-5-3-6, and have argued why, among other places, in Watching the Saga with Newcomers, because it is much more dramatic and preserves all of the surprises. After that, I would recommend going back to 1-6 for them, if they want to "unfold" the Saga chronologically. I do not think 1-6, or any other order besides 1-4-2-5-3-6, actually works for dramatic reasons - that is, those orders have no dramatic tension and ruin the big surprises.

12. morpha2

morpha2 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Bollocks.

13. TragicLove

TragicLove Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2005
    My Dad's girlfriend and I are doing a marathon before the year's out, and we'll be watching them in this order. She's in her mid 40's, isn't really into Sci-Fi, and knows little to nothing about SW. I've never watched the saga intermixed like this, so it should be an interesting experience for me, too. I'm very excited. Unfortunately, we're probably not going to get around to it until the winter.

14. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Perhaps you should leave it up to your kids.

15. DarthMatter

DarthMatter Jedi Master star 3

Jul 12, 2004
    Cool, let us know what they (and you) think, either here, or in the "newcomers" thread. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.