main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I've gone Ape for Planet!

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jamiebacca, Feb 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamiebacca

Jamiebacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Three weeks ago I came home, my son was watching a recent Planet of the Apes TV show box set lent from my sister-in law. "Neat", said I. I'd seen a bit of the first movie on tv decades ago, but that's it.

Not thinking much more about it, I sat to watch a little an hour later.

If this isn't on of the best damn series - ever. I bought the six-disc movie set. I can't get enough of it. Roddy McDowall is my new hero. I've watched it all but 3 TV episodes and the 5th movie.

IT'S A MADHOUSE!!!!!!!!

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    the first couple were ok, but it took a nose dive after that - I never really felt that the TV series worked particularly well

3. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Oh, well, Malkie, I can understand how you feel - living in the UK. However, I think that we Canadians garner much more sympathy for the series as a whole - what with our hills being chock full-of talking sasquatches.

4. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Is there anymore out there who like the Apes?

Anyone?

(poor Galen)

5. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    we have Gordon Brown

6. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    People outside of the UK beware...

Still, no more Apes fans here?
    There must be a better way to reach out to them...

7. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Mego made some cool POTA figures... Sorry, that's all I got :p.

Seriously I only have vague memories of the TV show and after the original movie, it's all sort of jumbled in my mind... They 'Battled' 'Beneath' and 'Conquest(ed)' so much I can't keep it straight.

8. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i've seen the movies but never the TV series. is the TV series worth checking out?

9. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Funny you should ask - I saw the TV series first, and that's what hooked me!

For what it is... it WAS very well done. I love it! The 4 disc set is inexpensive to boot. Go for it!

10. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    My oldest brother bought for me the PLANET OF THE APES THE LEGACY COLLECTION DVD set for this past CHRISTMAS. I've enjoyed the PLANET OF THE APES since I was very young. I remember seeing BATTLE FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES in a theater. I remember the PLANET OF THE APES TV series and I really enjoyed it and I collected the bubblegum cards of the TV series back then. I also remember having PLANET OF THE APES action figures, coloring books and at least one shirt. :cool:

11. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Coolness Oolnes!

I've only gotten into it in the last month or so. MAN! I was missing out! LOL!

12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I remember when the tv series started. I even bought a few of the action figures. But the series died pretty quickly. They were really beating a dead horse, as the movie sequels were never as good as the orignal, and a few really scraped the bottom of the barrel (though the one where Cornelius and Zera go back in time was pretty good).

13. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    The problem with all of the sequels was only in the budget - not the acting or writing (relatively speaking, mind you). If you can look past this, than you can see how the sequels did in fact form a true saga and an interesting, complete story-arc.

The TV is viewed today as being underappreciated for its time that should have been given a better chance. Apprently 'Chico and The Man' and 'Sanford & Son' were mightier forces than anticipated.

(listen to me, one month and I'm talkin' like an Apehead!)

14. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    I really enjoyed the TV series. I thought it was really cool and it's really cool that Roddy McDowall did the TV series. He was great as Galen and in all of his PLANET OF THE APES roles. I thought Urko was a cool villain. I also liked the two lead human characters. I thought the series was done well. :) :cool:

I'm pretty sure there was a PLANET OF THE APES cartoon. I don't remember for sure if I ever saw any of the episodes, but I'm thinking I possibly did at least watch and or come accross some of the cartoon.

15. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Urko's da man!

The guy who played Spock's father played Urko.
    And yes, there was a 1975 cartoon series "Return to the Planet of the Apes" where they drove cars and flew planes. It lasted about as long as the live action show.

What a great show, and GALEN ROCKS!!!

16. SkottASkywalker

Jan 3, 2002
    Jamiebacca, you seem to really like the TV series. That's cool. I really did enjoy it, myself. :) :cool: And I remember reading/hearing about the actor who played Urko, Mark Lenard, also playing Spock's father.

I was disappointed with the remake/re-imagining of PLANET OF THE APES directed by Tim Burton. I enjoyed it and there were some really cool things about it, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped I would. I'm not real sure, but Tim Burton may have planned on making a sequel to it or considered making a sequel to it and maybe with a sequel to it I would enjoy the remake/re-imagining more.

17. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    I haven't seen the re-make. I've heard only negative things online - including Tim Burton saying that he won't make a sequel due to it's "poor performance". I don't know if that would be artisitcally or commercially.

I've seen the trailer (it's on my dvd sets), and they have a chimp as the evil ape leader. What would Galen or Cornelius say?

[face_monkey] ?

18. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Saw the remake. It was aweful. Really aweful.

19. Jamiebacca

Jun 17, 2003
    Just what was so bad about it (I haven't seen it, or know why - all I know is that it's bad)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.