main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series "I've got a bad feeling about this" - Your fears for the show

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    What do you fear that Rebels might possibly do, concerning characters, direction, treatment of EU etc etc?

I mean stuff that you realistically fear might actually happen, not wild flights of fancy like in the WWMYSMYWSOANWAE thread.

E.g. The show becoming a pet character vehicle, or suffering from idiotic Disney executive meddling, or becoming an EU Retcon Rampage of epic proportions, or horribly mischaracterizing certain characters, or just straight up getting cancelled by Disney before it has a chance to properly go anywhere.

As you look ahead to the show, things that you worry might come to pass.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    1. Pet characters.

2. Love triangles.

3. Going overboard to appeal to Millenials with characters who say stupid **** like "that's cray-cray."

4. Dialogue that tries really hard to be funny and just isn't.

5. Non-threatening Imperials who get their asses kicked by our teen heroes in the first five minutes of each episode. The worst example of Problem #1 decapitates four of them at once, then they all go to a kid bar and drink neon blue berry juice and talk about how cray-cray it was.

6. Disney refusing to air the episodes on any other format, meaning that I'll have to spend about 75 dollars a month for Disney XD and 149 other channels that I don't watch if I want to see the show before the DVDs sell.

KED12345, Immortiss, spicer and 4 others like this.
  3. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    No villain decay please :(
    I don't want no snot nosed kids beating the Inquisitor at a lightsaber duel.

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    1. Focusing too much on romance. It can just happen, you don't need an Anakin/Padme by the fireplace kind of awkward conversation.

2. The heroes, particularly the young ones, being too idealistic and can-do-no-wrong kind of characters.

3. Having the heroes constantly on the run. The centerpiece of ANH was the Death Star Battle, and ESB had Han, Leia, Chewie and the droids on the run from the Empire for 90% of the film. I hope when they say they are looking more toward the OT for inspiration that they don't mean they are going to make a full season of heroes just constantly on the run. There do need to be battles and victories, despite what the opening crawl of ANH says (they can find a loophole, I'm sure).

4. Piggybacking off #3, heroes cannot win ALL THE TIME like they seemed to in TCW. In fact that should win very, very infrequently.

5. I'm worried the main characters are just going to be cutouts of existing characters just with species, sex, and names altered.

6. Getting no insight into what is happening on Coruscant or the political situation.

7. Having the Inquisitor essentially be Vader while turning Vader into Palpatine as the guy that hardly appears or only does so via hologram (also see Dooku in most of TCW).

8. Treating the Inquisitor like a Sith without specifying why he isn't a Sith

9. I don't want to see the Empire being overtly evil like they were in ESB, but rather more secretive, using coverups when they execute someone, etc.

Rauno, Darth_Pevra, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The show will be all about new and unfamiliar characters. I don't mind a few but so far all the characters we know about are new. And not known and established characters. Particularly the Senators. A few TCW characters. Characters from the PT or OT. Major and minor.

Pet characters. It gets old when the ptb have faves.

The villains always lose and look stupid like in TCW.

It will be too much like the OT not a mix of the OT and PT. Many keep hoping it will be like the OT and even some of the ptb have said it will be. I hope the PT isn't forgotten about.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    All Force-users only. Give us the Underworld characters and the common man/woman!
    The Empire being un-competent and not scary. Give us the dominating presence from the OT!
    Vader and Palpatine being pathetic like Grievous was in TCW.
    An Obi-Wan and Vader duel. No. Just no. ROTS and ANH only!

8. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    1. As others have noted, a romantic plot tumor. Romance can be done well, but it's difficult. One of the more enjoyable romance plots I've seen was with Tom Paris and Bellana Torres (spelling mangled, I'm sure.) from Star Trek Voyager. There was very little drama, and it wasn't a will they/won't they type thing. It started, it escalated, they got married and had a daughter. It gave them both character development, not taking away from their characters.

2. I've said this before and I'll say it again; bad voice acting. For me, VA can make or break a cartoon. I hope to see some really good VA's for the main characters. Nolan North, Jim Cummings, Steve Blum, Jennifer Hale, Grey de Lisle... There are tons of great and versatile voice-actors out there, use them!

3. Too much Jedi. I love Jedi, but at this point Luke really needs to be the last Jedi. It's pretty much his entire story, so I hope they respect that. I'll be fine with a force-sensitve, though. Maybe just someone who's has enhanced senses and has a sixth sense kind of thing? I'm guessing Ezra will fill this place but, not enough is known yet.

4. Shrewish annoying political characters. I'm sorry, but I always hated Padme, I hated the other senator kid from TCW, I hated Rachel from The Dark Knight. They are very naggy characters who annoy me to no end. Look at Leia for inspiration, not Padme. Leia was the type of political character I could love.

That's it, I guess. Oh, and no Boba Fett. Or at least change his voice-actor. I could swear that guy has a speech impediment, and it really grated on me.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't really have any fear for this show, but the thread title gave me an idea.

Gratuitous use of "I've got a bad feeling about this" and other OT references.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    A lot of good points in here... and I hate to say it, but I think some of you are going to be disappointed when some of these things do come to fruition.

I'd guess (and hope) they show it on starwars.com like they did with TCW a day or two after it aired on TV.

TKT, Revanfan1 and Contessa like this.
  11. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Oh yeah, many if not most of these fears will be realized.

Pet characters, bad romance, terrible attempts at humor, villain decay and too much Force/Jedi will almost certainly happen.

TKT and EHT like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    On the positive side...

Making fun of all of the above will be entertaining, if only for a few minutes.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    1. A forced view that the Empire is blacker than black evil
    2. The heroes will seem too similar to OT ones
    3. Kidified approach and unnuanced characters and motivations
    4. The Empire will appear incompetent
    5. Too Force-Sensitive heavy
    6. Aliens either as 'evil' or 'primitives'
    7. Too much focus on politics that don't make sense
    8. Forced romance

14. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Yeah, that or like an itunes thing where you can buy the shows. The problem with that is buying it twice. I'd rather just have the blu-ray and be done with it. I hope you're right about showing it on starwars.com that would be nice.

15. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

The great thing about TCW (and really almost any show nowadays) was the iTunes Season Pass. Sure its frustrating that you're essentially buying each season twice (if you buy the blu-rays as well) but when you think about it in terms of cable TV costs - it makes a lot of sense for those of us who don't want to spend and extra 50-100 dollars a month - it saves you about 90% of the cost of buying the cable plan with said channel. I would be surprised if they didn't participate in the iTunes Season pass at least...

Now, as for the other things listed on here (romance dialogue, etc.) I think we will probably be let down to a certain extent no matter what. The goal is low expectations. When TCW came out, I say the film - hated it, then would buy each season on blu-ray just to have; I couldn't bring myself to actually watch them after how low my expectations were after the film. It wasn't until about the 3rd/4th season break that I actually sat down and watched the show and was pleasantly surprised. I just have to remember to keep Rebels in the same mindset as TCW was for me when it started out and I think I'll enjoy it more than I won't.

Darth Maul Apprentice likes this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm actually much more worried about Disneyfication hysteria than I am about Rebels itself being "kiddy" (in any of the senses people use). Too much of the latter would just drive me away from the show, but too much of the former (which I'm already seeing) would help alienate me from Star Wars fandom.

17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    As far as an actual content-based fear, I really don't want Rebels be "TCW: The Continuation". So far it doesn't look like this is happening, but there still seems to be a decent amount of fan-based expectation for it, and I do not want to see it happen. I don't have a problem with a few individual elements popping up for single story arcs or in secondary roles, but Rebels really needs to be able to stand on its own.

18. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    With everything I know about this show so far, I can honestly say that I'm not worried about a single thing right now. Filoni seems pretty chill and on top of things when he's not under Lucas's thumb, and Weisman just does amazing work on everything. I'm not even bothered by some Jedi being around, Weisman knows how to do competent as **** villains, good relationships and dialogue, and character arcs, and Weisman and Filoni are both big EU people. I've got nothing but good thoughts about Rebels.

Revanfan1, Sir Chem, Skaddix and 2 others like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had thought about adding "retcons" and "inconsistent characterization" but I'm not too worried about that with Lucas not being around.

20. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    I don't know if they do this any more or not, because I haven't been paying attention, but my worry would be if Disney holds rebels to a firm 65 episodes, total. They used to do at least on cartoons that were on five days a week. I heard the only reason Kim Possible got more was that fanbase flew into a rage over it. Of course this is a weekly show so maybe that won't be the case here.

Hopefully this show is allowed to run as long as possible regardless of episode count.

21. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Concerning the treatment of EU, I don't care about what they do with EU. However, I fear about certain things about the Rebels.
    1. The show being to kiddish in the look, the stories, the characters.
    2. The Inquisitor presenting as a Sith whereas he is not and shouldn't even be on the show
    3. The new characters being all too young and stupid and wanting to save the world
    4. Not seeing Vader a lot

22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I personally think a fixed episode count is a good idea. Gives plenty of room to plan out a specific and structured story arc with a beginning, middle, and end.

65 episodes is a bit low, though.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I fear that Bo-Katan won't make an appearance. :(

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree. That kind of structure could help the planning and writing of Rebels stay on target with regards to plot and fitting into the larger timeline. IMO, this would help them avoid one of the major issues that affected TCW.

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No Ahsoka

No Wac or Gascon