main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series "I've got a bad feeling about this" - Your fears for the show

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Feb 4, 2014.

1. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    As long as this show does not hurt my opinion of Vader, I will be happy.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So how long until the TCW v. Rebels debates?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Within an hour of the pilot episode of Rebels.

I've got beer and popcorn on standby.

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That sounds about right.

5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Eh, that war will probably start even before the show premieres.

6. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    I think it's going to be hard for people like myself who loved TCW (and hated its cancellation) to go into Rebels with a totally unbiased view. My fear is that I'll judge the characters, animation, voice artists, etc. against TCW and never really fall in love with it.

I'll openly admit that I've been guilty of this before with animated shows like Justice League versus Young Justice (I regularly wished I was watching the League members instead of their sidekicks) and especially Batman: The Animated Series (Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill, still the best Batman and Joker ever IMHO) versus every other Batman cartoon since. I've enjoyed various reboot/spin-off/sequel shows over the years but often found myself thinking: It's good, but it's not as good as...

Although this probably says more about me than it does about the quality of the shows I've been watching.

7. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I'm personally betting the debates start as soon as we get actual footage from the show, probably in the form of commercials advertising the movie/pilot on TV or the internet.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just want Rebels to emulate the aspects of TCW that I liked and piss all over the aspects I didn't like.

Sir Chem likes this.
  9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Simple enough. :p

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I can understand this. It may be hard for me to adjust from TCW to Rebels right from the start; I watched TCW loyally from the end of Season 2 until the finale. A totally new show, so soon (relatively) after TCW's cancellation, will be very tough for me to look at impartially, but at the same time I am very excited for Rebels and I expect to love it.

11. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I second this.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    No more fortune cookies. Please. [face_praying]

13. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    And who could ever replace Campy Narrator Guy?

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Especially ones about fate and destiny.

Anyone ever notice that in the OT, almost everyone who told Luke what his "destiny" was, was flat-out wrong?

Bring that back please. Characters who tell other characters what their destinies are, just need a few Ex-Lax brownies.

Now there's a fortune cookie right there.

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Rebels fortune cookie: "Sith happened."

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    The first and only fortune cookie of the show: "The Republic is gone; the Jedi have been extinguished; and the Dark Times have begun."

That would set the tone of the show very well, IMO. There should be no more cookies after that and no narration either. It's too much at odds with the darker tone the show should have, in my mind.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ah but the tone is to be light!

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think I can say with absolute certainty that anyone expecting "Dark Times: The Animation" is going to be in for a rude surprise. Everything suggests the tone is going to be much more along the lines of most OT-era products (what I've sometimes seen called "Classic Star Wars").

19. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Yea, I don't see the show being all that dark. If it was a live action "dark times" show, then I think it would be. I'm pretty sure this is going to be much more like a swashbuckler, gang 'o heroes show. The only thing I can think of right now to compare the tone to is the "Home Alone" films.

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Again, I think you should look at old-school OT-era stuff if you want to get a comparison for the tone (though I'm expecting a more modern lens). West End Games adventures might be a good choice.

A lot of the stuff I've seen in this thread (and elsewhere) seems to have a very distorted idea of what Rebels is probably going to be like, honestly.

PraenomenCognomen likes this.
  21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    They call the Inquisitor a Sith.

Mention he is the only force wielding Inquisitor to exist.

purplerain likes this.
  22. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Bigtime. "Kiddy" is relative... but anti-Disney bias is usually totally preconceived, and anti-Disney fans can fallaciously choose to see Disney's hand in anything they want.

Vthuil likes this.
  23. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

I remember the worries about TCW when it was announced and that it would be kiddy and it ended up being being surprisingly teen/adult in its content and even more so in the dvd releases when they put stuff like Ventress kissing the Clone Trooper she skewered on Kamino or Savage throwing his saber and decapitating like 6 Falleen Black sun guys.

24. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012

And yet despite the violence I would still absolutely make the argument that TCW is little more than an entertaining kid's show, but that's a discussion for another thread. ;)

That being said and all joking aside, my biggest legitimate fear for this show is that it will make the Imperials as incompetent as the CIS was in TCW. If the pilot episode depicts a rebel defeat I will be ecstatic.

25. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    It's no more of a "kids show" than the OT and PT movies were. And there's no logical way to argue against that.

Of course if you consider the movies also kids shows and have no issue with that, then all bets are off I guess.