main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO I've got a Koopa head poking out!- Quest's Backlog v2.0

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Passed the Phantom Train segment. "Did I just fight a train? Hahaha-who are these peop- oh that's messed up!".

I don't think a game has ever shifted some rapidly from ridiculous to depressing so quickly.

Outside of the "NPC! Move!" irritants, the way the game hides things behind buildings and in the shadows of the walls is a bit irksome- makes you have to poke around in the shadows of every room at random or wander in circles in a village until you realize a key connecting exterior pathway is obscured by a building . They really should have had an x-ray effect for those moments like they had for the tents at the war camp.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I hope you remembered to suplex it.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, I haven't learned that skill yet. Someone else mentioned that to me and I wish I could have.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's pretty much the greatest thing in the history of the universe.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Where do you learn suplex?

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    He learns it automatically at level 10.

Edit: Although, apparently it might be called Meteor Strike in your version.

7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    So I was bored last night and decided to play DKCR. When I loaded my save file, I was at the beginning of the Cliff level and had 44 lives. I turned off the game after finishing the Cliff with a stock of 18 lives. I remember now why I never finished this game. There's enjoyable hard and there's non-enjoyable hard and this game is definitely more towards the latter. The one thing that I find most frustrating is the timing of the jumps on enemies. You press jump to jump on an enemy, and then you have to press jump again at the EXACT PRECISE MOMENT with no room for error or you don't get a good bounce off the enemy. I don't remember having this problem with previous DKC games in the series.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I generally didn't have any troubles with enemy jumps- there was the occasional mistiming but usually any deaths there were the result if other mistakes.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That type of button mashing put me off the first Force Unleashed game. I was getting PS2 thumb by the time I put it aside. I think I lasted til the level where you're in the ruined temple.

10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    So I'm in the factory and I just played the level where you ride the rocket barrell. OMG, I want to stab someone! It's so hard, but definitely rewarding when you collect the bananas and get the puzzle pieces.
    I will admit that I really enjoy the shadow levels, not playing them, but visually they are really cool. :)

I think I'll finish this game and maybe buy Tropical Freeze for $19.99 a couple years from now.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The Rocket barrells are always hard- the one in the cave with the giant bat was one of the 3 hardest levels in the game. Thankfully it's optional for people who aren't like me.

There was either a factory, cliff or volcano shadow level where you play most of the level with Rambi- that was a really fun one.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah I'm like you, Quest, I gotta play all the levels. Even though it's added difficulty, I have fun getting angry at the game and swearing my head off whenever I die a lot. Same thing happens when I play some Mario Kart games. :p

Speaking of those shadow levels, though they were very fun and aesthetically awesome, they could get annoying when there were a ton of tiki drum enemies that weren't as easy to see as some larger enemies. But yeah the one with Rambi was great.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I still need to go back to the game eventually and dig out the bonus temple stages. I think I only discovered one or two of them on my own during my play through.

Rambi levels were all really well done- instead of making him a power up they designed the level around him and it really ratcheted up the fun of using him, though I kinda wish they had more.

Really made you miss having the other animal friends while appreciating how the game didn't overly rely on them like the later SNES games.

14. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I played more last night and now I'm stuck at the factory boss - chicken in robot suit. I got frustrated (surprise!) with him so I went back to the jungle to stock up on lives/search for puzzle pieces before heading back.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I didn't find him that bad- it took a few lives (naturally) but his pattern wasn't that difficult I thought.

16. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    It's hard to tell if he's going to spread his legs or not when he lands. (That's what she said.)

The2ndQuest likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't recall off the top of my head but I think he does it every so many landings- but it might try to stomp you regardless if you hover underneath too long.

18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, I'm semi determined to beat this game now. It helps talking about it. I don't know. I might snap it in half later tonight.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You haven't gotten to the final boss yet. You'll tear your TV in half and then do this:

(jump to :40 sec)

Before you actually beat it.

20. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Is the final boss in the volcano? I beat Robot Chicken first try last night. I'm currently in the rocket barrel volcano level. Someone shoot me!

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, he's at the end of the Volcano's vertical rocket barrel level.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I think I'm 1/10 on dodging the clapping Tiki Andross. That son of gun! I finally beat him after about dying about 20 times. I'll play it a little bit more before putting this 4 year old game back in the box. Not sure what I'll play next in my backlog.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sounds like you had an easier time beating him than I did (I easily lost twice as many lives), though I was more successful at avoiding the clapping hands (the secret is to jump on and over them while they're still stationary at the sides of the screen- but not so early that he punishes you for anticipating his attack).

24. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, he wasn't too too bad.

So I spelled KONG in each level in the first world, unlocked the temple and probably died 20 times playing that platform level before finally getting the orb. The timing of the jump on the enemies to get over the spikes is, again, my major gripe with the game. It's almost like you have to press jump a micro second before to get that boost jump. Also, no half way point make these flawless runs and those types of levels drive me up a wall. This game's days are numbered! [face_skull]

The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The2ndQuest, are you currently orb collection or playing something else? I got all the orbs last night and my thumb was so sore that I played level 9 three times before just shutting it off. My thumb didn't want to work. So far, level 9 doesn't seem worth the effort. The stage is trippy and weird like the level in Aladdin where you were inside the Genie's Lamp.