main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I've got some beef with this board. (Rant.)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by SilverFox0440, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Very good points, Darth_Jerak.

2. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    hey bulwif,

what I meant was that a lot of these pretentious, overly-critical senior TFNers (by senior I mean those that registered in 99 or 00 and thus think they own the forums)
    who, despite their relatively young age, feel fully empowered by the anonymity of the internet, to scold and berate Newbies (who may be the same age). I'm not calling you old.

Sorry if I was unclear (I was, as I expressed, making a generalization).

-Kol.

EDIT:

Thanks MaxVeers. I expect to be flamed by the Senior TFNers.

3. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    buliwif, i actually imagined the mushroom cloud when i read your post, LOL.

i do agree that anti-matter for a lightsaber is pretty impossible. and the star trek referrence was a good example. when it comes in contact with matter, there is a burst of energy. this has been studied for a long time by researches and scientists.

as for the new people coming into the forum, there has to be some control. this includes replying with posts about redirecting them to the FAQ or links that will help them. if we weren't doing this, then this forum would be TOTALLY out of control.

with time comes knowledge.

4. filmmaker

filmmaker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    LOL (did I spell that right?) Silver has demonstrated something else that is important for a filmmaker....an ego! I read the posts on this forum and realize that many of them are from people who don't know filmmaking at all, but guess what? I used to be one of them. Someone with no knowledge at all, but a burning desire to learn and make films. So as far as I'm concerned, welcome noobs (oh, I guess I'm one of he the 02 guys) and I will gladly pass on any information that I can. There were people who helped me when I was just learning, it's now time to pass the torch. This forum is not some elitists club, it's common thread is that we all love Star Wars and filmmaking. To me those are the only requirements. Oh, and although there may be limitations to science, there are none to the imagination, so by all means experiment with black, short, nunchaku...or any type of lightsabers you want (even purple ones). Lucas moved to Marin County because he didn't want Hollywood to tell him what to do, and I agree with him on that, and I refuse to now let him tell me what to do. Our films are not about the length of the lightsabers, they are about entertainment.
    Sorry for the mispelled unintelligent conversation.

5. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Ok screw thinking outside the box. I prefer standing on the box.

~Neszis~

6. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    what I meant was that a lot of these pretentious, overly-critical senior TFNers (by senior I mean those that registered in 99 or 00 and thus think they own the forums)
    who, despite their relatively young age, feel fully empowered by the anonymity of the internet, to scold and berate Newbies (who may be the same age).

So ... you talking about ME then ??? [face_plain]

7. Darth_Jerak

Darth_Jerak Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2002
    Yeah TAC I suppose I am. But I get the idea that your criticism is sarcastic and in good fun.

-Kol.

8. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    i was invisioning TAC as i read the statement

-Tom

ps: o dear

9. DarkJediJaina

DarkJediJaina Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    I've been a lurker for awhile, like SilverFox. And I only recently decided to get an account so I can post here occassionally.

A black lightsabre is just as conceivable as any other color. As far as Windu's lightsabre being purple because he was a big actor... in the EU there are several different shades of lightsabres. Mara Jade's sabre is purple, Tenel Ka's is turquoise- not green, and Lowbacca's is a golden color.

SilverFox's post was not insulting anyone, it even went as far as to say it meant no offense. And yet people, most notably newbies are bashing it. He was just trying to be constructive.

10. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    Black isn't a color 8-}

Windu (I forget the actor's name 8-} )was alowed purple only cause he's an influential big name actor.

Well he's a bad mother.....SHUT YO MOUTH [face_shocked]

11. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    You know what, the whole black lightsabre thing...

just DROP IT. FOR GOD'S SAKE EVERYONE....

who really cares?

I think the debate makes ALL star wars fans look pretty dumb, whether you are "scientifically correct" or not.

This is the kind of thing trekkies argue over, not star wars fans... I say:

Let the trekkies debate and the star wars fans create.

Cya
    Mike

12. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    "So ... you talking about ME then ???"

TAC, you must have misunderstood. He said "despite their relatively young age." I don't think either of us fit the profile. ;)

(by the way...how's the fiance?)

(damn, am I spelling fiance right? Silverfox?) :p

13. Son-Of-Suns

Son-Of-Suns Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2000
    That's a good quote wix, into my sig it goes 8-}

14. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    I'm in the process of creating the Definitive Tutorial Resource at the moment! See this thread for details. Hopefully this will be able to help all fan filmmakers, May 02ers and the 16 to 24 year olds. ;)

15. Waylynne

Waylynne Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2001
    There's a great little resource for aspiring filmmakers - it's called "Google"...

Senior TFNers... 16-24... ?[face_plain]

Just call me Grandpa...

You young whipper-snappers need to git it 'n yer heads...

"It's just a movie..."

Perhaps I should emphasise "JUST" ...

Arguing about a thread arguing about posts in a thread arguing about the existence of "Dark Sabers" is a pretty superfluous thing...

And perhaps people should accept the fact that some people are going to post anything just to see their name in the forums...

lookey... thar I am...

:D

What a wonderful little pleonasm we have created...

16. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    GOOGLE is GOD... use it, learn from it, worship it NOW !

D

17. Deagle_Raa

Deagle_Raa Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2002
    I prefer yahoo myself
    (although if you look carefully they're 99% identical :p)

anyway, samuel l jackson! samuel l jackson! how could i have forgotten?!? *sigh* Since i'm in the 'senior' category of 16-24, I have to blame it on failing memory... :(

18. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Sorry for the delayed response, all, I was shooting a movie on a lake, out of town yesterday, and just got back to see that my thread had 41 replies. Lol. You guys are fast.

Also, thanks, DarkJediJaina, you actually got the point of my post. I was not trying to cut anyone down, and as for the science behind lightsabers and darkmatter, according to my experience and knowledge, it would be possible, but darkmatter is a highly controversial subject in itself, as different schools teach it different ways, so, perhaps, Crook, either of us could be right, because I referenced my notes from school on the physics of dark matter, and it fully supports what I said. Who knows? I'm no scientist, so for all I know, you could be right....then, again.... :)

And I wasn't bashing newbies, just the unimaginitive ones. Some of you seem to have completely misinterpreted my post. I am all FOR the darksaber. I say let the filmmakers do what they want, despite the science, but some of you are saying that I don't support the black saber. What the heck? Please go back and read my post.

Tumblemonster, you asked how much more difficult it would be to get people to read my document as opposed to the faqs, and my response is that because my document would not necessarily be about starwars (just filmmaking in general) it would have a broader audience, meaning that it wouldn't be limited to those people on this board. So, it would still be justifiable.

You also said "Rediculous. How could you possibly judge a member's education and imagination by their expression of an opinion? You are making a blanket judgement about new users based on scant observations." I am not trying to say that all newbies are dumb. I'm not saying their dumb people at all, but I AM saying that they need to realize that they can do whatever they want in their movies. The whole reason that I brought up the subject of this thread was that someone said it's not possible to make a darksaber in the thread detailing how to make it look good in a special effects program. And when I said they're undereducated, I meant it only in that they don't understand that in filmmaking you aren't restricted by reality.

Then you said "New member's come here to learn, and while some of their repetitive questions may get annoying, How else are they going to learn? My second question on this board was something about lightsabers. I bet if you ask older members of this forum many of them will tell you the same thing. I refuse to believe new members have nothing to contribute." I never said that new members have nothing to contribute. And I do think that newbies should read the threads, as an alternative to asking right away. I mean, it would make the board much more efficient, make those newbie filmmakers more independant and less annoying. I can personally say I never asked a single thing about where to find tutorials or how to do this or that....I did it all on my own, reading all of the threads where a noob asked "how do I do lightsabers" and all the times they were answered with "god, this is annoying, read the FAQ." So, I didn't want to annoy any of the senior members (which I am not, and am not claiming to be), and read the faqs and all the resources available to me other than asking the members, and low-and-behold, I learned how to rotoscope and do some 3d animation--on my own. So, i think it's feasable to ask new members to be more resourceful.

And Dragon, who were you calling a commie? And some of the stuff you were explaining on dark matter was similar to what I was taught, but some of it I had never even heard of, and it contradicted my definitions....Again, with the different schools.

And, yes, datoolman, antimatter is the same as dark matter.

For anyone interested in any of this, I reccomend reading The universe in a nutshell, by Steven Hawking. It explains it in layman's terms. It's also available on vhs, for those lazy (like me, lol. ;) )

Various posted "I like the idea of centralizing the info but let us still ask questions if

19. DragonScythe

DragonScythe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2001
    I'm the Commie!!!

Look at the sig...polysci/marx!

MUA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

I sign every thing with

COMMIE
    or THE COMMIE or the REALLY BORED COMMIE

20. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that was part of your "sig." You know, you don't have to type it manually... you can enter it into your real sig by going to your member options. Sorry.

21. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    I could...
    but my sig has links to pro-commie stuff already...and i don't wanna have extra junk...

22. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    I see. Is there any reason that you are pro-commie in particular, or is it just cool to say it?

23. DragonScythe

Jun 25, 2001
    I read too many books...and I'll leave it at that...

THE COMMIE

24. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    "Tumblemonster, you asked how much more difficult it would be to get people to read my document as opposed to the faqs, and my response is that because my document would not necessarily be about starwars (just filmmaking in general) it would have a broader audience, meaning that it wouldn't be limited to those people on this board."

Have you read the FAQ? It links to several HUGE resources for independent filmmakers. You of course can do whatever you like, but what you want to do is freely available already. As I pointed out, many of these sites are linked in the FAQ. If a new user isn't even going to read it, what is the likelihood they will search out your site or any other?

"I am not trying to say that all newbies are dumb. I'm not saying their dumb people at all, but I AM saying that they need to realize that they can do whatever they want in their movies."

Since you're insisting on correct spelling, perhaps you should expand to include proper grammar and correct word usage, as well. I believe you wanted "they're", not "their" in that paragraph.

I never used the word 'dumb'. If you are trying to say "they can do whatever they want in their movies" why didn't you just say that? You said "It occurred to me that this new generation of fan film makers and starwars fans, in general, are undereducated and unimaginitve". These two statements have two radically different meanings. How could you have possibly meant the first when you said the second?

"And, yes, datoolman, antimatter is the same as dark matter. "

I think you need to read that book you recommended. This subject is for another board, for certain, but if you insist on arguing it incessantly you should at least know what you are talking about, especially when the argument is central to the point you are trying to make. Try posting everything you said in sci.physics or sci.astro on Usenet and see what happens.

-tm

25. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    Gosh. I caught it when I went back to check to see if anyone had responded, and it was too late to change it. I only see the spelling as a problem when it hinders the communication of the message from one person to another, like when someone doesn't put a few punctuation marks where they need to be, when it's important to the meaning of the sentence. A couple of spelling errors isn't a major deal, if it doesn't bother the main message. When I said that the new gen. was undereducated, I meant in filmmaking. All filmmakers should know they have absolute creative liscence. I didn't mean in schooling or whatever, but that they lack the knowledge of basic filmmaking. I think that's where the big misunderstanding is. And the darkmatter issue is not central to my arguement, it was only a small sidenote to answer an objection that someone had in that darksaber thread. And, I don't know what you're talkin about, with saying that I should re-take my exams and all, because I just took physics this year and made a's and b's all year. When did you take your class? I don't know how old you are, but I'm beginning to think that your class is now outdated. PM me if you want to further this discussion. Also, I don't see what the ruckuss is all about, I was just suggesting that we make a compilation of tutorials. And as for that, tm, you seem to be ignoring my posts, or not reading them all the way thru. I've already said that I wanted links that aren't already publicly available. And as for why I may want to make yet another list of url's, mine is about filmmaking in general, and will be on a site that deals with filmmaking in general, not just star wars, making it available to a much broader audience. Go back and read my other posts, you'll see I already said it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.