main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I've got some catching up to do.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by skawookiee, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Hey everybody.
    Perhaps some of you remember me. I posted around here all the time like 2 years ago. Then I went to college and ran out of money and time for Star Wars. Well, I'm falling for the ROTS hype and have decided to try and get back into it. I'd like to read up on the Clone Wars a bit so I'll know some of what to expect. I have read Shatterpoint and Republic comics up to issue #52 (I think). My question is this: If I was to buy 3 additional books and 2 story arcs from Republic to get the gist of the Clone Wars, what are the best ones? I don't have tons of money, so unless there's a hard back book that's just amazing, I'd like to stick to paperback.

It's nice to post again. I hope I'll get some time to come back more often!

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, there are five Clone Wars TPBs covering what looks to be all of the Jedi comics and what looks to be most of the Clone Wars issues. You might want to get all of them as time and money allow. But for just two of them right away, I think maybe either Volume 1 and Volume 3 or Volume 3 and Volume 5.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the CW volumes would be your best bet....Volume 1 has 49 and 50 in it, plus Jedi: Mace Windu...so you have most of that, so probably skip that. Volume 2 has 51-53 + Jedi: Shaak Ti. 53 isn't hugely arc-related, and while Shaak Ti was excellent, it's not a necessity.

So, just grab Volumes 3, 4 and 5. (though read 4 first since its set chronologically earlier for the most part...).

Volume 6 is tremendous, but won't be out till June.

Novel-wise, Labyrinth of Evil leads direcly into ROTS, but thats not in paperback yet.

So, paperback wise, Yoda: Dark Rendezvous seems to get pretty positive buzz (ignoring Excellence's inevitable comments ;) ) and seems to have more bearing on the main characters of the war. Republic Commando: Hard Contact has gotten raves but doesn't have much impact on the bigger picture.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Oh, but it does, 2ndQuest. Hard Contact shows that in five years of publishing, you can find at least one maturely-written book. [face_batting]

5. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    Hey skawookiee! Welcome back! :)

I highly recommend Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. It's...well, it's excellent! ;)

6. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    Thanks, Pezman! I guess I'll go for Clone Wars TPB's 3 and 4 and maybe 5 if I can swing it. Since I'm really looking for books that have a greater overall impact on the story arc, looks like I'll be getting the Yoda one and I might think about Labyrinth of Evil. Possibly I'll get it at the library and then buy it when it comes out in paperback.

7. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    If you're getting 3, get 5 or you'll be left with some story threads hanging.

8. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Volume 4 was good, with it's intrigue and with the Aayla-Aura Sing story, but I liked Volume 1 better due to it's showing the Seperatists attempts to deprive the Republic of reinforcements. I think the Battles of Kaminoa and Jabiim are two of the most important battles of the war to be shown in the Clone Wars TPBs so far. That most assuredly does not discredit all the intrigue and such that we see Quinlan Vos involved in in the volumes he appears in. Really, you should read them all and decide for yourself what your opinion of them is rather than listen to our opinions and decide based on that. But money wise as far as picking stuff up for preparing for EpIII, I think I'd have to agree with 2ndQuest on picking up the last three volumes so far released.

9. skawookiee

Feb 12, 2000
    Well, I've already got the first TPB. I've had that for a while now. And Quinlan Vos was always one of my favorites, so usually when I see a comic with him on the cover, I'll pick it up. So my Clone Wars comics are: Clone Wars TPB 1, Shaak Ti one-shot, #53, #54, and #59. 54 I picked up because of Quinlan, and 59 because of Asharad Hett. I think the 2nd TPB might not be worth the money cause I already have most of the issues in it. I might try for a couple of back issues to fill in the blanks. So right now it looks like I'll be getting issues 3 and 5, and maybe in a few weeks with a couple more paychecks I'll get issue 4.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    #54 is in Volume 4, however there's also two Jedi issues (Aayla and Dooku) and #63 in there.

#59 is included in Volume 3 (alongside 55-58).

I'd say you'd be good skipping Volume 2 since you have 53 and Shaak Ti, and just go and find back issues of 51 and 52.

Vol 3 is basicly Anakin-centric, 4 is Quinlan/Aayla-centric and 5 spans Anakin/Obi/Asajj/Yoda/Bail.

11. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    I'll second what everybody else(Except Excellence ;) ) has said and highly recommend Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. It's captured my personal views on the Jedi like no other EU I've ever read.

Labyrinth of Evil is also good--I read it whole at my local Borders.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    **Go'uld eye glitter**

[image=http://www.gallery.otherplaces.net/avatar0020.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.