"I've just made a deal......" coolest scene ever

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by AlecGuinnessBeer, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. AlecGuinnessBeer Jedi Knight

A previous poster started a topic on the best emotional scene in TESB. It got me thinking about what's probably my all time favorite scene in all the SW movies combined, what I'll call the "coolest" scene ever and that's on cloud city when Lando says "I've just made a deal that will keep the Empire out of here for a long time" (or something like that).
    The door opens, and Vader's there! He stands up, Chewie roars, Han shoots twice, Vader cooly deflects the bolts with his hand(!), then force lifts Hans blaster right into the same hand. I think there may be a bit of cool dialogue (yeah, I know it's blasphemous, but I haven't seen the movie in a while), then Boba Fett steps from the shadows.

Then, with the camera to the backs of our heroes, the door closes on us and we're left yearning to see what transpires next. In a way, I hate that we don't get to see that, but in another, I can see how it's for the best. I'm not sure anything would quite live up to my expectation of that particular meeting and I like imagining how exactly it went down. It's one of the things that makes TESB stand head and shoulders above the rest of the movies.

That scene just oozes with kick-ass coolness.

I just wanted to get that off my chest. Feel free to agree or tell us what scene you think is the coolest.

Also, please post the exact dialogue if you know it.
    Thanks!
  2. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Good choice of a favorite scene. Several people choose this scene merely because of how Vader deflects the blaster bolts with his hand and then Force pulls Han's blaster to him. I personally enjoy it because it's the first and only meeting between the galaxy's most notorious scoundrel and the most feared man in the galaxy.

[image=http://community.webshots.com/s/image8/1/19/8/124011908gGmtzY_ph.jpg]

We would be honored if you would join us, Captain Solo.
  3. fcz1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    well said indeed. i am also fond of the ending of the scene when the door shuts and you see people walking by. something about that shot that is very cool.
  4. JediJamesT Jedi Knight

star 1
    It's a great scene because once Vader "takes" the blaster away, Han knows he's meat, yet still shows the stiff upper lip and steps forward to face Vader/protect Leia. Great missing scene fanfic possibility here. I am glad they didn't film it as well, great for the imagination.
  5. Hudnall Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The whole movie is flawless. Not a single cringe moment.

That's why it's the best. The no-cringe factor.
  6. RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I just love is that Han hates Vader enough that a split-second after seeing him he starts blasting away.
  7. Esperanza_Nueva Force Ghost

star 6
    In a way, I hate that we don't get to see that, but in another, I can see how it's for the best. I'm not sure anything would quite live up to my expectation of that particular meeting and I like imagining how exactly it went down.

That's what I love so much about the OT. It tells a great story, but leaves some things to your imagination, which is wonderful. There is so much background that is referred to in the movies that makes the enormity of the galaxy that much more believable. I like that the movies dont tell you every single detail about each character and event. It allows you to see the characters and story the way you want to, and makes Star Wars unique to every person.

Ok, well that's enough gushing from me for now 8-}
  8. MrHat Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hundall> If you think about it, the whole trilogy is flawless.
  9. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Agreed. It comes across as a great scene. Gives me chills everytime I see it.
  10. Cyprusg Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, that scene was always my favorite, even as a kid.

Just the way Irvin Kershner set that whole scene up. One minute the characters are having an interesting conversation, then all of a sudden the door opens and you see Vader. I'm sure everyones reaction was "oh crap!". So I think it's way beyond the cool factor that makes that scene special. Everything from the initial surprise, to how Han instantly reacts by grabbing his gun, to Chewie growling.

Irvin Kershner is a certified genius for how he made Empire Strikes Back.
  11. Eva_Pilot04 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I like Han's reaction as well. I know it was a little thing, but Harrison Ford did a great bit of face acting with his obvious surprise, then anger as he pulls a hell of a quick draw on Vader. Had that been an Imperial Officer, instead of the Man, no Imp in that room would have had a chance between him and Chewie. :cool:

»Who dares wins«
  12. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    In the Archival Edition, Vader shoots first, to make Han look innocent

(how many thousand times has this joke been made yet? :p)
  13. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Oh, just a couple thousand. And it never gets old *cough* :p

Gotta love Boba's 'spur clinkle', too.
  14. Hudnall Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Mr Hat - I wish that were true. Maybe I'm just too critical.

ESB tho - is perfection. Not a wasted scene. Not a wasted bit of dialogue. Everything in it moves the plot forward. Every camera angle is perfectly planned. Every detail draws you deeper into the story. Technical perfection.
  15. SkottASkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    "I've just made a deal......" coolest scene ever

Great scene. Absolutely. :cool:

I watched THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK again recently. It is amazing how everything flows so well and fits so well. The story, the dialogue, the visuals, the music, everything. Great movie. Absolutely. :cool:
  16. Jedi_Knight_Jonas Force Ghost

star 3
    BEST.....SCENE.....EVER.......*drool*

The tensoin in that scene is great. Just the way Lando says "I'm sorry, I had no choice." It just rips me apart inside.
  17. BaronFel88 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I find it funny how Leia hides behind Han (she might be enjoying it too much ;) ). Is she really afraid of daddy that much?
  18. Luke_SW Jedi Knight

star 2
    I have many favorite scenes for different reasons, but when you say "coolest" scene, the first one that comes to mind is in ROTJ at the Sarlac pit right when Luke leaps off the plank and springs himself back up in time to catch his saber

man! the tension in that scene and the way the music creeps up and then just busts out simultaneously with Luke catching his fall and somersaulting back on the sail barge right as R2 launches his saber

and the look on his face when he flicks it on and introduces us to his new GREEN saber just says "yeeeeah....who's your Jedi!"

One of my all time favorite scenes for sure and also one of the COOLEST!
  19. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The dining hall scene is definately cool. I 'unno about cool-EST, but cool nonetheless.
    I like how Vader reguards Han (who's smug as hell and who everyone loves) as little more than a pest to be swatted away.
    But I also like how Han remains collected throughout the scene and how Lando gives off his explaination in a no nonsense way.
    I also like 'I'm sorry too...'
    It's cool, and crisp. But a bit too short and non essential to the overall scheme of things to be coolest.
    I mean, it's important obviously, just not the most important.
  20. Stikil Jedi Padawan

Indeed, a great scene. :)

But the coolest? A serious contender is in ROTJ, when Luke walks into Jabba's palace, dressed all in black, and in a cloak, silhouette from the closing door...

And when the guards try to stop him, he chokes them both, soundlessly. Damn, that was cool. :)
  21. 3263827 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Personally, I always felt that the most emotional scene was when Luke was hanging below Cloud City, totally beaten and desperate, calling to Leia through the Force for help. Leia "hears" him, tells Lando "we've got to go back" and "I know where Luke is". Cue emotional music, and a pretty cool shot of the Falcon flipping around a cloud and back to save Luke.

That scene gets me every time.
  22. Gregatron Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yeah, the "deal" scene is the stuff of classics.

Lobot can be seen walking away from the dining room as our heroes approach.

"I've just made a deal that'll keep the Empire out of here forever".

Chewie looks around and moans, perhaps smelling the presence of enemies.

A beat.

Lando opens the door, revealing a glimpse of Vader. We cut to Han's face, glancing inside the door. We see a much closer shot of Vader as a variation of his musical theme is heard.

Han grabs Leia by the hand, whips out his blaster, and pumps at least four shots at Vader, who deflects them into the walls with some cool moves. The blaster then flies into his hand.

A beat.

"We would be honored...if you would join us".

Boba Fett steps into view, cradling his gun, with the sound of boot spurs announcing his presence.

Our heroes begin to turn around, only to see seven Stormtroopers file into place, with Lobot at their side.

"I had no choice. They arrived right before you did. I'm sorry".

A beat.

"I'm sorry, too".

Chewie moans.

The group walks into the dining room. Vader sits down, with Fett at his side, blaster aimed.

The doors close.
  23. JediMasterChiefYoda Force Ghost

star 3
    I think the card "Blaster Deflection" from Decipher's CCG (Cloud City set)put it best:

"Vader confiscated Han's blaster, his ship, his Wookiee, his girl and his only hope of escape."
  24. BaronFel88 Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Dont forget "Han was fast. Vader was faster." from Force Field.
  25. Emperor_Billy_Bob Chosen One

star 7
    Definitly. This scene is my second favorite in the whole saga, right behind The Throne Room in ROTJ. Although the Throne Room was considerably longer.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.