I've just watched Blade Runner for the 1st time...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by halibut, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    ...and so I now consider myself an expert on it, so ask your questions, and I shall answer them.
  2. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Shouldn't it be you asking questions about it, you've seen it once and many of us have seen it multiple times :p
  3. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    Not as recently as me, I'll warrant.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Maybe not, but it is a film you must watch a few times to fully appreciate (especially as there are multiple versions now, did you watch the most recent Director's Cut?).

Someone who watches The Matrix for the first time 10 years after it's release is not so likely to know more about it then someone who has spent the last 10 years watching it many times. There are those who still don't know what it means.
  5. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    I watched the HD version, but I am aware of the different versions.

And I am disappointed in your lack of questions.
  6. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    OK whos the main villaini in the film ?
  7. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    Although we are led to believe that Roy is the villain, the true villain is Eldon Tyrell, or if you want to be existential, humans are the villains.

EDIT: Actually, Ridley Scott is the villain for making the film in the first place
  8. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    In no way do I believe that you, Halibut have never seen Blade Runner before!!

To think that someone who was once an RSA of a Star Wars Fan Site has never seen one of the most important and famous Sci-Fi movies
    of all time just defies belief!!!

Next you'll be asking us about whats all this talk about Terminator and is it a decent movie!!

But ok, i'll play along.

I'll go for the biggest Blade Runner question there is:

Do androids dream of electric sheep? ;)

Oh, and is Deckard a replicant.
  9. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    No they don't, and no he isn't

Next.
  10. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    Care to back up your claims with any valid proof and evidence?
  11. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    Certainly. The book says he isn't, and I didn't watch the crappy director's cut with the stupid dream sequence ;)
  12. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    Well the actual book (Dick-Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - which I own) is totally different from the movie.
    The main plot features a case revolving around animals, which are pretty much extinct in the Blade Runner timeline.

While this plot was more or less dropped completely from the movie, it did serve as the basis for the rather good
    Blade Runner computer game that came out in the mid to late 90's.

By the way, are you trying to tell me that even though you have never seen the movie before, you have read the book??
    I find that hard to believe. ;)

Edit: Ohh, and the Blade Runner Directors Cut is widely regarded to be the finest Directors Cut of any movie... EVER!

Why do I have the feeling that your pulling our legs?
  13. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    I haven't read the book, although I know that it states that Deckard is human.

I'm not pulling legs. I've only seen it for the first time today. It was ok, but nothing special. I saw the version without the unicorn dream sequence, and without the voice overs. I agree with Harrison that voice overs are a bad idea.

And I really don't buy into the "Deckard is a replicant" idea, despite the fact that Mr Scott may have said so since. If that was the case, he'd have said it in the movie. Which he didn't.
  14. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't believe he is a replicant either, I think it destroys the plot somehow if he were one. Why the hell do you send a lesser model to take out Nexus 6's? Ridley Scott most likely put things in there to make you question weather Deckard is one or not, since it is never stated in the film weather he is.

Oh and what is Deckard's Blade Runner number?
  15. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
  16. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  17. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    But don't ask me the serial number of the snake scale. All I know is it's got a "47" and an "X" in it :p
  18. ForceGhostOfCozmic Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Don't worry, I can't remember it anyway lol :p
  19. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    Hmmmmm Impresive !

Another point will be Deckard but that will do !

ANother Question

An actor in the film will repeat his role in terminating adriods about 20 years after in a series which has nothing to do with Blade Runner.

Name the Actor Halibutt. :)

Edit: Oh if you want name the series hes at for bonus poits.
  20. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    I'll go for Edward James Olmos, and Battlestar Galactica. :-B
  21. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Replicant.

Ignore the dream sequence, and ignore the directors comments - they are besides the point.

Two clear things point to him being a replicant. 1) the nonsense on his shelf in his apartment - there's no flow and no theme or trend to the photos in the frames, and he looks at them not really knowing who they are or what they are about because his memories of them are artificial. 2) the sequence where they are kissing etc in his apartment - it's clear from the akwardness that neither of them have ever had a sexual relationship before and don't really know what do to. They have implanted memories and knowledge of the process, but it all seems foreign to them because they are most likely virgins at that point.

22. Welshguy Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmm, interesting theories.

But wouldn't an implanted memory of how to kiss be as valid as a real memory?

I mean its not like you have to exercise your lips or build up a resistance, you just go from memory.

So my argument is that a memory is a memory regardless of how it was put in your head and therefor would not dictate
    how well you carried out any given action.

An expample of this argument can be found in the Matrix. Neo has all his Kung-Fu fighting skills downloaded into his brain.
    He may not have learned them the conventional way, but he was still able to access the "memories" and use them
    when the situation called for it without having to relearn them in the conventional real world sense.
  23. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    MOST IMPRESSIVE ! =D=

One more question:

Which actor hated the film and for what reason ?
  24. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    Harrison Ford didn't like it for a few reasons. One being Ridley Scott's obsessive attitude to getting shots exactly right, and he also strongly disagreed with Scott's idea for a voiceover believing the film didn't need it. He was right.
  25. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    ^ GIVES THIS MAN A CIGAAAR !
    although the internet was there, fully availible :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.