I've just watched Blade Runner for the 1st time...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by halibut, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    Does it mention that in the movie?
    Because it's entirely possible his memories of having been on the force for years were created to make him believe it so he wouldn't assume he was a replicant.
  2. Welshguy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Of course that is a possibility, but his captain is the one who brings him back in after his early retirement.

Deckard and the Captain both mention other Police Officers and his history in the Police Dept.
    It is a conversation that is used to establish Deckard's long history and shows us that he is well known to many
    people over a long period.

It is of course possible that the Captain and Olmos were lying about his history or playing along, but given the
    general feeling of hate directed towards rogue Replicants, it is highly unlikely that they would play along with
    any grand scheme that the Tyrell Corp. might have organised in order to place Deckard into a position of
    authority.

Though granted, having just written that I have just opened up a possible plot development that I may not have been
    aware of before: A Tyrell Replicant programmed to think he's a Blade Runner and seconded to the Police Dept in order
    to hunt down the missing models.

But then why give him false memories? Why not just programme him to hunt down the rogues and make use of his superior
    strength and mental powers?
  3. Moylesy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    TBF I think that those two were mentioned in the opening paragraph. That's just an excerpt (containing the Blade Runner ref.) that I quoted.
  4. DarthArsenal6 Jedi Master

star 5
    Pulp fiction
    Die hard with an vegence
    and what about Barbara Stanwyck
  5. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    you can't put Die Hard and Oscar in the same sentence.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London

star 8
    And only the first one was worthy of anything.
  7. DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    '...With a vengence is AMAZING you hethens lol
  8. Moylesy Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Barbara Stanwyck (one of my favourite actresses BTW) was nominated four times and actually deserved to win, why she did not is "open to interpretation". SLJ was nominated once (supporting role in Pulp Fiction).
  9. DarthArsenal6 Jedi Master

star 5

Could not have agreed more. :)
  10. Darth_Paddy_666 Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I doubt anyone has considered this aspect yet but Deckard may have been created a long time before but not given a short lifespan because the police may have wanted to train him up properly to hunt his own kind [face_whistling]
  11. DarthArsenal6 Jedi Master

star 5
    Yes we have, but on a mental note.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.