main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I've never read any if Calvin & Hobbes

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Jul 8, 2014.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    If I can enjoy/like Calvin & Hobbes, you can too, Vin.

2. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Shut up, Tunick. /dave

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Probably good that Watterson quit while he was still ahead. I mean, look at Garfield nowadays. Jim Davis doesn't give a **** anymore.

4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Who the **** is Jim Davis?

5. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I guess that is what saved Calvin and Hobbes. If you watch the documentary a curator at a museum noted that by not selling out, Watterson guaranteed his work would stand up for itself. For example, with Peanuts kids are introduced to it when they are young with Snoopy stuffed animals and the like. Later they get older and they can read the comics or watch the shows. But with Calvin and Hobbes, the legacy is passed to each one of us by someone who appreciates reading. A teacher who sees a bit of Calvin in a child and gives him the books to read and thus a new fan for life is born. Is it mass marketing genius. No, but to all aspiring writers its what happens when your work stands for itself. A lesson few artists and authors get to really experience.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man, Jim Davis never gave a ****. He's said as much in interviews.

jp-30 likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Late 80's to mid-90's Garfield is the best Garfield due to the storylines and better creativity with gags and so on, so I would argue that Davis had to have cared at least a little bit back then.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Apparently, Jimmy Buffet concerts are a lot different than I thought they were.

But, yeah, the same decline in quality has happened to nearly every once great comic strip. Dilbert used to be a pitch perfect satire; today it's garbage. Too bad.