I've never really told anyone this, but TPM saved my life

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by Ardens_Furore, Jun 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ardens_Furore Jedi Master

star 4
    I just remembered that for most of my life I'd never had any friends and I didn't talk to people much. I was pretty much feeling dead, and suicidal.

When TPM came out in 10th grade, things changed. I liked the movie and so I became a fan. So then I actually had something to talk about that a few people were also interested in it. So I became friends with them. Other people were interested in how big a fan I was and would talk to me about things. And it was cool to be such a big Star Wars fan, at least in that circle. So for the next 3 years, 11th, 12th and 13th grade, I had friends. With AOTC coming out in 2002, people were talking again and I was able to book an entire theater for everyone who wanted to see it with me. I was a little late going to the theater, but I found out that the people who went there first had saved me the best spot in the theater.

When TPM came out, it was the first time I could ever connect with anyone. I could talk. I could make people laugh. That was all that mattered to me then. I wasn't suicidal for the most part.

TPM inspired me to make a short film with my friends, with some visual effects and a pretty cheesy story line. That was the most fun I ever had. We took it to a conference and it won an award for my school. People in my school knew who I was and they elected me an executive member of the club.

TPM was the catalyst for me to at least be a little happy. The elements that people hate, like Jar Jar and the kid-oriented themes, were the good parts for me. I can't explain it, but the emotions that the film evoked in me were good enough to get me talking. And I loved the way Qui-Gon sort of saved Jar Jar and took him on an adventure. I wanted something like that to happen to me. I guess TPM played that role.

Now that I'm in university, I have no such luck. But TPM played the key role in the best times of my life and prevented a downward decline that was spiraling out of control.
  2. winter_chili Force Ghost

star 5
    Then its all worth it, all of this
  3. rsterling78 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What an inspiring story! And from Ardens_Furore, no less! You should e-mail George Lucas or Star Wars Insider magazine about this.
  4. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Sometimes it is amazing how much of a profound impact movies can have our lives, but then again that is what makes them so special and sacred.
  5. Da_Joker Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's a really cool story.
  6. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    Wow! All I can say: Wow!
    Ardens_Furore, I´m truly happy for you. It´s so amazing that a film can make someone so happy and I don´t think it was coincidence that it was Star Wars that did it. It´s such a phenomenon!

Wow! :)
  7. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually, I have a similar, if shorter story.

I was a year and a half old when ANH came out, and I think I imprinted on it. There's nothing quite so wonderful to me as Star Wars. I even have a tattoo of the Rebel Alliance insignia.

But around about middle school through college I went through perhaps the lowest point of my entire life. I won't get into details, they're still slightly painful scars and I'm not after sympathy, but regardless, I was pretty close to suicidal.

But I promised myself one thing: I knew there'd be more Star Wars movies. George Lucas promised us there'd be more. So I made a deal with myself...no suicide until I'd seen them all.

Well, now I'm a rather happy and productive adult who doesn't want to cause herself any harm, and it was Star Wars that kept me going until I could get to this point.
  8. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    The power of Star Wars.... Wow!
  9. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'm very happy if these films have provided inspiration to people. Thank you both for your stories.
  10. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Ardens_Furore and Rocket_Girl:

And isn't that what movie going is all about. To entertain and bring some joy to someone even if it is for a few hours? Great story guys. Glad you are still with us to enjoy this great ride SW is.
  11. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    Ekenobi - It most certainly is what it's all about. I have a hard time convincing some people of that. They want to know why I refuse to go see powerful movies like Schindler's List...I'll tell you why! Because I go to the movies for a morale boost, and to lose myself in someone else's imagination for two hours. I'd love to be intellectually and emotionally challenged, but if I leave the theater feeling less happy than I went in because of disturbing images on the screen, well, the movie failed for me. Doesn't make it a bad movie, but it wasn't what I was after.
  12. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    RcoketGirl:
    Agreed. Movies are suppsoe to be fun to go to. I know there is this DRAMA catagory that gets in the way sometimes. And I have enjoyed a good few of them in theatre. Saving Private Ryan and We Were Soldiers come to mind. But I like the entertaining films more. I usually rent the more serious ones later. Again not that they are bad. I just want to come out of a theatre feeling good. SW, LOTR, SM, The Matrix, and all these comic books movies are doing that for me.
  13. Esperanza_Nueva Force Ghost

star 6
    that's such an awesome story!! :)
  14. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Those two stories were really amazing. :) That's what movies are, as was mentioned before. The ability to lose yourself, not be who you are for those hours that the movie is playing. During a good movie, all you can think about is the movie. Problems can escape you, and you just aren't yourself. You're lost in the movie. And TPM is just that sort of movie that you can get lost in. Its amazing to know that a movie can have so much impact on someone's life. And I'm really glad that you two are still here with us today. And especially you, Ardens_Furore, you are here with us on this messaging board. Talking to people. Even if your University life isn't good, at least you have us, family and Star Wars to keep you going. TPM helps people much more than they realize, and those two stories have helped to prove that point. Thank you for sharing, and reminding us of the pure majesty and magic of this movie. :)
  15. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    "So, instead of making, "isn't-it-terrible-what's-happening-to-mankind" movies, which is how I began, I decided to try and fill that gap. I'd make a film so rooted in the imagination that the grimness of everyday life would not follow the audience into the theater. In other words, for two hours, they could forget."
    - George Lucas

I'm glad that he has succeeded. :)
  16. YodaJediMaster12 Force Ghost

star 4
    Truly wonderful, the power of the SW saga is. ;)
  17. appleseed Force Ghost

star 4
    Those are both just awesome stories. I saw an ad in USA Today by some fanatical religious sect that predicted Armageddeon in 2008, and the first thing I thought was, "Good, I don't wanna miss Episode III."

Not that I believed a word of it or anything, mind you.
  18. Punisher Jedi Master

star 4
    Armageddeon in 2008?!

Not gonna happen while Harry Stanton is around! :D

Okay, if Bruce Willis dies before 2008, we're screwed! :_|

Let's see, 2008... hmmm... well, I'm unemployed without any job prospects in my area from my last job, I can't get a crappy job because of my last job makes me "over qualified", I can't go to school because I don't have enough money and it's too far away, my car's a P.O.S. and I don't drink, smoke or take part in recreational sex...
    2008 isn't close enough! [face_laugh]

At least then I can get 15 minutes of fame by holding up a sign that says "Repent! The END is near!"
    Then again, without any money, how will I get the cash to buy a marker to make my sign?
    This sucks!!! :mad:

BTW, glad to see that the SW films were inspiring enough that you didn't kill yourselves, but seriously, you should have talked to an adult, a priest, a family member, someone before you do something permanent like that.

Personally, I'm expecting a dramatic increase in the prison population after Ep.3 and the SW films come out on DVD... or when Lucas dies, 'cause then it's guaranteed there won't be anymore SW films and people then won't have "SW anticipation" keeping them in line...
    Hmmm.... maybe THAT causes Armageddon!! [face_shocked]
  19. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    Don´t worry, Armageddon will never happen.
  20. JohnWilliams00 Jedi Master

star 4
    Punisher: Personally, I'm expecting a dramatic increase in the prison population after Ep.3

I don't mean to make light of this thread, but I thought that was a hilarious statement there. [face_laugh]
  21. Punisher Jedi Master

star 4
    Trust me, I'm not making fun of this thread either, but one reason why suicide isn't the answer...
    Think of all the people you will never have the pleasure to piss off! [face_devil]

If you kill yourself, you are giving them the opportunity to have happy, productive lives and that's not healthy or natural, we need people to cut us off on the highway, talk on cell phones in a movie theater and to act like they are superior to you on every level of existence (Not that anyone like that posts here!);), people that are attractive, but turn out to be extreme psychos (Oops, wrong thread, that's my reason for Anakin excuse!).

That's the reason I exist, to make sure the Matrix isn't perfect. [face_devil]

Killing yourself isn't the answer, never is, wait until your 90 and THEN climb to the top of a high building and take out your frustrations on other people with an M-16, you're 90, what are the cops gonna do?!
    By then, you've got nothing to look forward to, but to be worm food... if you are athiest. I just say buy a gun & practice now on targets, 'cause I'm sure ammo in, like, 2025 or so is gonna be expensive and lazers aren't gonna be very effective then either.

Unless you are deeply religious, then I say moon people, no guns, just moon them with your wrinkly, saggy butt, I don't know any Commandment that forbade mooning! ;)
    I'll be Moses even mooned a few heretics. I'm certain the Hand of God has flipped a few people off! (For any non Americans, that's slang for giving someone the finger.)

Don't end your life, laugh at it and find someone else's life to laugh at also, it's even better if you can find someone else to make fun of other people's lives, then you can get a sitcom or a movie deal if you are the same sex, if not, marry them and still get a deal!
    You'll be so rich... you'll be driving fast cars & cheap women!! :D
    People will spit venom and bile at you behind your back on Internet message boards and you can send your lawyers to shut down their sites and take their house!

Don't you see? There's so much to live for! :)

Love, sex, marriage, cheating on your wife, getting a divorce, and cutting your kids outta the will! :)

In my own way, I'm trying to help 'cause my life stinks, but I realize for someone else, they think my life stinks too! :D
  22. Ree Yees Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Nice!

I have been down there too, I had dabbled too much drugs. To overcome my weaknesses, I actually watched either ANH or ESB *every single evening* (because I had angst at the time, I couldn't fall asleep without the movies in the background).

That's 5 years ago, and now I am a new person, while still of course proudly portraying my devotion to the holy trilogy on countless T-shirts :p
  23. DarthStothe Jedi Master

star 2
    Sheesh! And some people tear up these movies! Look how good these movies have been to people!
  24. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Better make a mental note...never try to take care of Punisher in his old age...
  25. han_solo_321 Jedi Master

star 4
    Why don't you send your fan film to theforce.net?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.