main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga I've Watched The Entire Saga In Order

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by EternalHero, Aug 18, 2014.

1. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Over the past three months I watched the entire existing "canon" Star Wars Saga in chronological order:

Episode I
    Episode II
    The Clone Wars (in correct episode order) *
    Episode III
    Episode IV
    Episode V
    Episode VI

The entire Saga is presently 73 hours long by my calculations. It has to be one of the longest continual narratives ever committed to film.

I can say a few things with confidence:

1. This is the best way to watch the Saga. Every serious Star Wars fan should do it at least once.
    2. It works. Which is staggering. But it really does work as one long narrative.
    3. The altered versions of the OT do help continuity greatly.
    4. The prequel trilogy is incomplete without the Clone Wars.
    5. Fans who think the original versions of the OT are the be-all/end-all are really missing out on something special.
    6. Star Wars contains much that is juvenile, silly, absurd etc. but as a whole it contains great breadth and depth.
    7. One day this will be the default viewing order for the majority of fans and the Prequel/Clone Wars saga will undergo a radical reevaluation.

Right now I feel a deep satisfaction. The quiet that comes after completing a great epic. Exhausted but awed. My mind echoes with these legendary characters. I feel inspired to try harder and do more with my life. I am grateful for the gift George Lucas has given us.

I'll add to this once my thoughts have cohered. I welcome any feedback or questions.

Has anyone else done this? How'd it work for you?

*I also read the three existing issues of Darth Maul Son of Dathomir and I'd say it's essential to slot it in there to give certain story lines from TCW a feeling of completeness.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    rebels can soon be added as well as 7, 8 and 9. :)

Andy Wylde and EternalHero like this.
  3. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Sounds great. I still have not seen TCW (beyond a couple episodes and the movie a while back), but I just got Netflix so that's going to have to change. I'll probably watch them the way.

EternalHero likes this.
  4. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    If you have not watched all the Star Wars films or The Clone Wars, there will be many Spoilers in my posts so be warned!

Part I : The Clone Wars

The biggest effect watching the Saga in chronological order has is to expand and complete the prequel "Trilogy". The trilogy as it stands - I-III - is really an abridgment and should be considered as such now that we have a mostly complete Clone Wars. Simply put, it's like showing the Battle of Sumter and then jumping to Appomattox and skipping the rest of the Civil War. The story simply has not been told.

Some of what The Clone Wars provides:

+ Detailed explanation of the politics of the Clone Wars which is glossed over in the "Trilogy". The Clone Wars actually makes the politics of the "Trilogy" easier to understand.
    + Fleshes out and clarifies the Republic/Confederacy rift and the causes of the war (even though it is a part of Palpatine's plan, the issues are real enough for the Separatists to actually take action. Many of the issues involved were only amplified by Palpatine - they already existed for him to exploit. For the players involved the war is very real and worth fighting. I don't think the "Trilogy" ever makes that clear, something that made it difficult for audience members to invest in the story.)
    + Detailed explanation of how the Clone Army is created, trained, maintained and deployed.
    + Provides "faces" to the otherwise helmeted and "faceless" Clones. By the end of the series we care about Rex, Cody, Fives etc. and they are individuals to us, not simply "clones".
    + Detailed explanation of the economics of the Clone Wars which helps to explain why entities like the Trade Federation and Techno Union are so important for the Confederacy.
    + Fills out aspects of Palpatine's plans.
    + Fills in the missing gap of Anakin and Obi Wan's friendship.
    + Fills in missing character development for Anakin.
    + Fills in missing character development for Obi Wan.
    + Fills in missing character development for Padme.
    + Fills out and completes the character of Count Dooku.
    + Fills out the character of Boba Fett.
    + Explains aspects of the Jedi Order that would have been left unexplained.
    + Explains aspects of the Force that are important to the Saga.
    + Explains who Sif-Dyas was and how the Clone Army was initiated.
    + Explains how Order 66 was executed.
    + Provides some continuity for side characters like Bail Organa and Jedi like Ki Adi Mundi and Plo Kloon etc. which fleshes out Revenge of the Sith by giving us characters we care more about since we've gotten to know them better.
    + Fleshes out the Separatist cause and gives a face and voice to several Separatists.
    + Provides major links to the OT such as Jabba, Ackbar, Chewbacca, Tarkin, Mon Mothma etc.

+ Fills out the underworld of organized crime and bounty hunting.
    + Provides minor links to the OT such as Bossk, Dengar, Greedo etc.
    + Provides major battles for the Clone Wars, giving the war an identity.
    + Expands and deepens the mythology of Star Wars, especially the "mystical" aspects.

That's just skimming the surface. Whether you watch TCW (and I highly recommend watching the series in the correct episode order, not as they were aired) after the prequel trilogy or after all six episodes or between II and III, I don't think it is possible to truly judge Star Wars or George Lucas as its author without watching TCW. It is an essential part of the Saga and the Saga is incomplete without it. Yes, there are a few dangling plot threads (Ahsoka, Ventress) but the major parts of the story have been told, probably right up to the "Outer Rim Sieges" or very near. What it fills in is more important than what was left out.

Part II coming soon . . .

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I've done the Saga in order, but minus TCW. Though I did with the first animated series.

spicer likes this.
  6. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Do we each now get our own watchalong thread?

bluecadet3 and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Since I haven't marathoned (if I can say so) the saga like this, what is your opinion about adding the micro series as well? Obviously the second season's last episodes would be right before ep 3.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You'd have to add it imo. End of TCW ends before the Battle of Coruscant starts. Too much of a jump imo.

spicer likes this.
  9. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014

The Micro-Series: Since it isn't Lucasfilm Canon it wasn't a part of my screening. Not that I don't love it, it's just not a part of official continuity.darth-sinister One of the aims of this experiment was to see if TCW was actually essential or not. I think that it is. I'm encouraging all SW fans to try a Complete Saga screening :) It's a very different experience from just watching the movies.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012

Agreed. Besides, adding the micro series explains how Anakin and Obi-Wan know Asajj Ventress, and how she got recruited by Dooku. IMO the micro series are essential.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

No, I got that. But that's what I did. The show was still on the air the last time I did that, so there was no point in doing it before the show was done.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That too. Ventress just comes out of nowhere in TCW and Obi-Wan flirts with her? OR whatever that was. Um what?

sarlaccsaurs-rex and spicer like this.
  13. spicer

Nov 14, 2012

Yeah, the way Obi-Wan and Ventress interact in TCW is strange and without much context. That however is expanded in the Republic comics, which make things much clearer. Bottom line, many things from TCW are much better understood if you read the Republic comics and by watching the micro series. Ironically, those things are not cannon anymore, which makes TCW feel incomplete to me sometimes...

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    Hey if you can add anything that pleases you go for it!

Andy Wylde and spicer like this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Well done OP. I did the same thing over the course of the summer (with the exception of Son of Dathomir, which I read as soon as they were released). Your points #1-6 are spot-on for the most part (I do feel that the PT works well without TCW). And hopefully your point #7 will be true someday!

16. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    I think the 2003 CW serves better for this than the 2008 one.

Crucial events: Introduction of Ventress/Grievous, Anakin becoming an official Jedi Knight, the battle of Coruscant and Palpatine's abduction, why Anakin's hand is different in ROTS, major maturing of Anakin between Seasons 1 and 2.

Although Ventress still needs more fleshing out, even taking both series into account. We still never know how Obi-Wan met her, since they didn't meet in the micro-series, and her story was not even concluded. Hell, he name wasn't mentioned in the micro-series. As far as we knew, Anakin killed her.

The main issue I have with the 2008 series is that they play up everything, only for it to never be heard of again. Ahsoka? Where is she in the films? Obviously, they got rid of her in the show, but she still would be worth a mention in ROTS. Why is the only Clone Wars battle mentioned in ROTS NOT in the Clone Wars series (Cato Nemoidia)?? Why can't they just kill Grievous? In the microseries he was badass, so that's why he didn't die, but in TCW he's like the same as in ROTS.

Another thing that bothers me is that although fans clearly know who he is, Sidious' identity should still be a "secret". Nobody should see the face under the hood, yet it is extremely obvious in TCW that Palpatine=Sidious. If you're watching the saga for the first time in order, and you view TCW before ROTS, the identity of the Sith Lord will be spoiled for you.

Overall, 2003>2008. Screw canon. If anything, 2003 should be the real canon one. The only thing retconned from 2003 in the 2008 was Grievous's cough, which wouldn't be an issue if you don't consider the series canon. Whereas making the 2008 noncanon means that the Battle of Coruscant, Anakin's knighting, etc are NOT canon, and I think that's just messed up

17. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014

Thanks for sharing your opinion but this thread isn't about debating canon. This viewing order takes the official Lucasfilm position on canon for granted. And since I didn't include the Micro-Series it's not germane to this discussion. Please respect the intent of this thread.**

As for which works better, take a look at my shortlist. The Micro-Series, nice as it is, accomplishes none of those things. I think that speaks for itself.

**I'm a huge Genndy fan and I like the Micro-Series, it simply wasn't a part of this project.

I'll have more notes on this soon.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Oh yeah, I also watched the microseries. I put stopped after the montage, then did TCW, then the rest of the microseries.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and EternalHero like this.
  19. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011

That's a pretty good way of doing that, although I'd be thrown off about Grievous' cough

Darkslayer and EternalHero like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    There isn't an introduction for Grievous or Ventress in TCW. That's pretty problematic imo if we don't count the micro-series.
    The Maul thing is problematic too but I expect them to get around to that soon.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The show was cancelled before they could finish her story. Lucas had consented to a full sixth season and it's rumored that the show could go as far as an eighth season.

Because Obi-wan and Anakin were discussing the number of times that the latter had to save his friend, to which Obi-wan said that he didn't really need Anakin's help at Cato Neimoidia. The other nine times were a different story.

Because Lucas didn't want Grievous to be a badass warrior, but because he wasn't so hands on in the first series, this is why there's a contradiction. The second series was more consistent.

Most everyone figured it out at the end of TPM.

"Darth Maul: Son Of Dathmoir" has two more issues left.

22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I'm happy that you enjoy it this way, but personally I won't be doing this any time soon. I intensely dislike TCW and have no intention to watch Rebels. The animation style is.... odd, to say the least. I understand that animation is obviously not going to look like real people physically acting on a set, but.... Dooku's head is a rectangle. That is all. I find that I-VI is perfectly complete as is, and if anything, TCW massively contradicts the saga and ruins a lot of things I like.

I don't particularly like that it gives the clones personality. I'd rather they stay more or less mindless drones. I don't see the point in resurrecting Maul aside from fan service. Anakin feels way out of character more often than not. Constantly facing Dooku takes away from the meaning of "my powers have doubled since the last time we met, Count." Grievous is made out to be much more of a wimp than he is already in ROTS. Anakin returning to Tat after AOTC takes away the meaning of that being the last time he was there. It's much more impacting if Padme is the first person to receive Anakin/Vader's infamous Force Choke. I could go on and on about the things from the saga that it would ruin for me if it was in my personal canon

Aside from that, TCW would leave too many open plot points, like what happened to what's her face or Darth Maul etc
    Really, the only open question right now in the saga is what Luke is going to do about "passing on what he has learned"

Aside from that, if I had included TCW, it would be impossible for me to marathon SW without sleeping. I-IX will be difficult enough and I'd rather not include a TV show I don't care for.
    To be honest though, I do somewhat fancy the original CW cartoon, though it's still not something I'd include

Now, in response to the original post:

"Best" is a subjective word. And to say that someone is not a true SW fan simply because they dislike TCW is absurd, if not insulting

As I said above, I believe it contradicts too much in the saga and leaves too many open ends

I don't see what this has to do with TCW

Feels complete enough to me

Agreed, but again, this doesn't apply exclusively to TCW and is an opinion

Again I don't see what this has to do with TCW. We're talking about a saga with toilet humor in the first episode

And you can say this with certainty how? Didn't know you were psychic

23. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    @Seagoat You have a right to your opinion :) I didn't say "marathon" anywhere in my post, I watched this over a three month period. I posted a preliminary list of contributions TCW makes to overall continuity; I'm not finished posting on this subject, there's more to come. Everything is subjective I'm just stating my own perspective.

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Oh of course ^_^
    I do apologize if I came off as rough or insulting, that wasn't my intention at all

As for the marathon thing, that's more of a personal quirk of mine. I watch SW all at once, so if I were to include TCW.... yeah that'd be unhealthy xD

Vezner and EternalHero like this.
  25. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the tcw is part of the pt now.

EternalHero likes this.