main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Iverna's art--updated 28. August with Han, Leia, the Solo kids, Jack Sparrow, and Eric Northman

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Iverna, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks everyone! I haven't been around in a while, but I do have more art to share with you guys! First, another Han and Leia piece (getting sick of them yet?!) which I made ages ago but never got around to scanning and uploading:

"A Nice Man" (Han and Leia)

I drew it in black pen on coffee-stained watercolour paper, added some shading with pencil, and burned the edges.

I started playing the Knights of the Old Republic games over Christmas, and got sucked into that area of fandom, too. They inspired me to finally try comics properly, so I have two to share so far:

"Gentleman" - there are some lines that even Atton Rand won't cross.

"Wartime Fashion" - the KotOR II boys discuss their armour.

They're both painted entirely in Photoshop, using my pen tablet. I'm slowly getting the hang of it, I think. It's challenging, though, and very time-consuming!

I've also finished my first proper tutorial, which explains my drawing process when it comes to human faces. It takes you through the process step by step, and I've added in extra bits which explain shading, hair, eyes, tones, and so on. I know it's not Star Wars, but a few people had expressed interest in seeing it, I think, so here it is:

"I Am Charlize Theron" - tutorial

Okay, I think that brings me up to date on here again. Enjoy!

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Enjoyed that thoroughly. the comics and the tutorial are great=D=

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nicely done! Your coloring skills in Photoshop are coming along great and the tutorial was very informative. It must have took quite a bit of time to put that together. ;)

Also, I just wanted to let you know that I received your e-mail about the icon and I will be submitting that shortly! Thanks again! :)

4. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    earlybird-obi-wan - I'm glad that you enjoyed them! [:D]

HanSolo - thank you! Yeah, the tutorial took a while. It doesn't help that I tend towards perfectionism so everything has to be aligned right and all the layers have to be named and so on... heh. And awesome! Sorry it took me so long, I thought I'd sent it already and then forgot all about it for a while. I'm looking forward to seeing it! :)

5. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks so much for the tutorial! I'm trying to learn to draw and that is very helpful. And I love your comics, you are very talented!

6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You are brilliant![face_love]

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    How long did it take to draw Charlize?

Thanks for the tutorial by the way. I have a feeling I lack talent in the drawing department. :p
    Or maybe I'm just not patient enough.

I still have this dream of finally getting Kyp on a piece of paper... :p

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Tarsier - awesome! I'm glad that it's helping. Yay! And thank you!

AzureAngel - aww, thank you, my dear!

Ceillean - uhm, I don't remember, really. Maybe 20 hours, all told? I work over several days, but only a few hours at a time, and I always forget to keep track. :oops:

I hope the tutorial's helpful! Don't worry, though. From what I've seen I definitely wouldn't say you lack talent. Seriously. And a lot of it is literally just practice. And patience, like you said. I just love details and I can spend hours doing the one thing, which I guess helps. But it also helps when you do it in stages... draw until you get bored, come back to it when you feel like it, stop again when you get bored. Takes longer, but it works out way better in my experience!

Kyp is tough to draw! I've only tried it once. I really want to try again though. But he's a challenge, I think!

9. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Well, I'd sure as heck be happy if you'd try drawing Kyp again. [face_mischief]:p

10. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Well, Ce, this is why I did not send you a Kyp yet. He never looks right, but sheepish.

11. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    I guess he's just too frickin' awesome to put to paper. [face_laugh]

12. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Well, I'd sure as heck be happy if you'd try drawing Kyp again.

I think I will, you know. In fact, I meant to ask you if you'd mind me trying my hand at a Kyp/Liz piece? I followed a link to your LJ and saw the pic you posted (the kiss) and my hands really really want to draw something with the two of them now.

That's if Kyp's awesomeness doesn't prove too much once again. With that guy, you never know... [face_thinking][face_laugh]

13. 6amcrisis

6amcrisis Jedi Youngling

Feb 7, 2011
    Hi Iverna, great thread and work.

I'm going to show this to my 8 year old son as I'm having a hard time convincing him to move on from only drawing in outlines. Hopefully when he sees some of your shading of characters he'll pickup the greylead and add some shading to his pics. Keep it up.

vince

14. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    First of all, thank you! And hey, don't worry about it. When I was eight, I wasn't big on shading, either. That came a lot later!

15. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Yay! I got Ceillean's permission, so I tried my hand at a Kyp/Liz piece. I ended up with four versions - well, three really, but then I went ahead and also made two of them into possible covers for Ceillean's fic "Awakened" (which you should read if you like a well-written story with great characters, great dialogue, and a generous helping of mush!).

So, my attempt at portraying Kyp and Eliziya:

The plain sketch version.
    The digitally coloured version

Cover for "Awakened", version 1.
    Cover for "Awakened", version 2.

There's information about references etc in the artist's comments section, as usual. I used a lot of references, especially for Kyp -- Liz was a lot easier to draw, although I am anxiously awaiting Ceillean's verdict on how well I managed. I hope I've sort of done her justice.

And can I just say, Kyp's stubbornness is not restricted to his presence in fiction. He really fought this whole coming-to-life-on-paper deal as well. It took me three attempts, and I'm still not entirely sure I got him right. Still, he doesn't look like Han and he doesn't look broody or angry, so I'll count it as at least a partial win. It's a good thing they have holos in the GFFA, because Kyp having to sit for his portraits would be absolutely disastrous. 8-}

Anyway, I hope you guys like this. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone! [face_love]

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I love this, both the b/w and colour version. Great artwork=D=

17. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Wow, those are just gorgeous! I think I would give the edge to the color, but they're all great.

18. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Can someone get me a drool bucket please? =P~

Good Gods, these are beautiful! [:D]

I'm all happy and giddy now.

Thanks so much for doing this!

[:D]

And by the way, my muse just got one hell of a kickstart. :D

I might have an update finished sooner than I thought. ;)

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    =D=

We need a Kyp/Liz permanent icon. :D :D =P~

20. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    earlybird-obi-wan - thank you, my dear! I'm glad you like them.

Tarsier - I'm happy to hear that! I don't know which one I prefer, tbh... but I like having different versions, that way there's something for everyone, I guess!

Ceillean - yay! I'm really thrilled that you like them. Makes me happy and giddy as well! [:D] And I'm selfishly glad that your muse got a kickstart, when it means more great stuff for me to read!

Jade_eyes - thanks! Heh, that'd be something, wouldn't it? :D More Kyp/Liz around here can never be a bad thing!

21. EleyaDurron

EleyaDurron Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2006
    Wow, I love your art *-*
    *goes to deviantart to fave* :D

Especially I love the way you draw Kyp. You should definitely go on with that ;)

22. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Eleya - thanks, I'm delighted! I may well end up drawing Kyp again. He's a challenge, but very rewarding when it works out.

An addendum to my last update: I've started on what will hopefully be a series of "Star Wars couple". Jaina and Jag are up first, and I've just completed the lineart for them, so I figured I'd share it.

Star Wars couples - Jaina and Jag lineart

If you have any ideas for a background, preferably one I can use, with small variations, for other couples - please let me know! Also, I've been trying and failing to find some good J/J quotes, either about each other or to each other, so if you can help with that, let's hear it!

And for anyone who likes colouring, feel free to take the lineart and try your hand at it. I'll be posting my own coloured, finished version here when I get it done, but I'd love to see what others come up with if anyone's that way inclined. You can get the fullsize version via the "Download" link on dA.

Uhhh, I think that's it. I'd really like to hear your ideas for this, if you have any!

23. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    [face_laugh] Look at Jaina's snarky attitude. I love that. What's that in Jag's hand, though?

24. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Oh, I should probably have explained that - it's a datapad with flight scores. "Fel" is #1, "Solo" is #2, and the others are gibberish since you can't really read it anyway. But the idea is that Jag won, hence why Jaina's all "meh, you think you're hot stuff? You aren't. I'm not impressed. Not me, no sir."

I love those two. [face_love]

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love that new one and the humor showing in the picture