main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Iverna's art--updated 28. August with Han, Leia, the Solo kids, Jack Sparrow, and Eric Northman

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Iverna, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Black-Dog - thanks for dropping by! Janson looks like he really couldn't care less, doesn't he? I've always loved that picture of him. I'm glad you like the boys!

Jag4Me - thank you!

You've done an amazing job capturing the Rogues.
    Really? That's great to hear! EU characters are always harder, for obvious reasons, so I'm thrilled to hear that.

AzureAngel - I'll be drawing them again, no doubt! I have a weakness for flyboys. And thank you for spreading the word, as well, that's so kind of you! [:D]

FalconFan - there's always one... *lol* You're right, though, I think every group needs a Janson really.

Nice job of "real-izing" them from comic images--that's a challenging task!
    So I found out! I'm glad you think it worked though. Thank you!

Why on Earth didn't I think of flipping the Falcon photos?! :oops: But then I'd feel like I'm being dishonest or something, I guess. Thanks for your kind words--as for buying it off me, no way, I wouldn't take money for it. I've been wanting to do more carving anyway; if I manage to make another, I'll send it your way! [:D]

is there anything you DON'T do?!
    Uhm, science and maths? *lol* I have too many interests. It's really hard finding time for everything--boredom, what's that? I'm sure you know the feeling though!!

Kiyuuchan - everybody loves Janson! Or so it seems anyway! I'm a fan of the flyboys myself; coming from a fellow fan, this is a really great compliment, I'm really happy that you like my attempts!

Cem_Fel - thanks for dropping by and especially for taking the time to comment! [:D]

I really love your Jagged Fel Drawing, he is looking so much like in my imaginations
    No way, really? Yay!! That's so cool! I think it's the first drawing of an EU character that I did that wasn't copied from a reference, so that really means a lot.

Glad you like the boys, as well! Hobbie is such a glutton for punishment, isn't he? Bless 'im!

Thanks for looking, everyone, and especially for these lovely comments... they really made my day. I'm currently working on a new drawing, featuring Jagged Fel and Allana, which I'll hopefully be able to upload over the weekend. It's an illustration for a fanfic that I'm writing (here's a link for anyone who wants to know more).

In the meantime, here's another couple of drawings. I've got a backlog at the minute, partially because I've been neglected TFN for a while and partially because I found more scans on my computer, so I apologise if I'm spamming you all here... this'll be the last one this week, I promise!

[b]Gavin Darklighter[/b]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Gavin.jpg]

In the same vein as the [link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Rogues.jpg]"Red Flight"[/link] pieces, but without a reference. He also looks a bit pensive, I figure this is from around the time when he joined the squadron so he's just a kid here.

[b]"He's certainly got courage"[/b]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Han-7.jpg]

Han Solo in various moments from ANH. I really enjoyed drawing this, and I hope you'll like it as well!

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, you're really pumping out the artwork! It's great to have you back!

Of course, I have to say I love the Han pieces. You managed to capture him so perfectly and from experience, he doesn't have an easy face to draw. Another thing that really pops out is how you captured the different textures. In your last Han drawing, the texture on his vest is excellent! How did you manage to pull that off? That's something I continue to struggle with.

And finally, who doesn't love the Rogues? Great job capturing those crazy guys! It seems like you're going for a different style here and there's some hints of comic work going on here. I like it!

Please post more when you get a chance! :)

3. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    Awesome work again. =D= Gavin looks neat and I hope you try him like you did with Wedge and the other Rogues. :) I can't get over how real your Han drawing looks. Realy, really fantastic. :D Keep it going.

4. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    Oh, I really love the last drawings of Han ^^
    It has a wonderful compsition, and I love the way it looks so smooth and pretty.
    It looks like you've captured the prettiest shots of Han's face, the one left bottom corner is so gorgeous [face_love]
    Are these your own imaginations or from screen shots ? It doesn't matter to me, but I am wondering because I don't remember seeing shots like your pictures.

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW, lovely works of art from the boys. And that Han Solo piece=D==D==D=

6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Darklighter is also great, but after a very long school day all what a lass needs is a good-looking scoundrel who cheerfully plays with her heart. [face_love]

*turns around very annoyed to silly husband who pulls out her white hairs... [face_frustrated]*

Scoundrels, don't we love them... [face_talk_hand]

Anyway, your Hans are great...

7. TheOnlyJediPrincess

TheOnlyJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 11, 2006
    Wow! :eek: Han Solo looks amazing! awesome job! He has such a softness to him and I love all the detail. keep up the great work! I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next. :D

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    HanSolo - thank you, it's great to be back! I've drawn Han so many times by now that even random portraits turn out looking like him if I'm not careful. *lol*

How do I do textures... oh, I suck at explaining, so bear with me. For the vest, I just used a blunt pencil and really short, straight strokes. That usually gives a fabric-y look. I did it in several layers here because it's a fairly finely-woven fabric and several layers make it look smoother. I hope that kinda makes sense; I'm really bad at explaining stuff like this, sorry. Ask me more questions if you want to!

With the Rogues, it was a slightly different style, both because it's colouring pencils and because I copied from comic references. I'm glad you like them!

Black-Dog - oooh... a portrait of Gavin... there's an idea, thanks! I'm thrilled that you like my Han drawing, I had a great time drawing him in his various ANH moments!

Kiyuuchan - haha, I can't really take credit for the composition--I didn't have one when I started this piece, it just grew. It was luck. But I'm glad you like it!

The bottom left's my favourite too, actually. Love that smirk. [face_love] I used references from the movie, but they're my own screencaps--I went through the movie and paused it whenever I saw Han looking gorgeous--so I guess that's why you haven't seen these exact shots before. I'm nowhere near being able to draw him so accurately without a reference! ;)

earlybird - thank you so much--I really appreciate your comments! [:D]

AzureAngel - I completely understand... I think we all need our scoundrels every now and again. [face_love] I'm so glad that you like my Han pieces, and thank you once again for dropping by!

earlybird - thank you so much--I really appreciate your comments! [:D]

AzureAngel - I completely understand... I think we all need our scoundrels every now and again. [face_love] I'm so glad that you like my Han pieces!

JediPrincess - you're so kind, thank you! I'm really happy that you like "my" Han--I really enjoyed drawing him and it always makes my day when other fans like the results of my endeavours! [:D]

Thanks for dropping by, guys, I really appreciate it. Your comments always make me smile, and it looks like this is the place to come to for inspiration as well! If you have any requests about what you'd like to see, do let me know--I'm not making any guarantees, but you never know! [:D] And I can only draw Han so many times... *lol* I really ought to try my hand at some other characters, so ideas are always wel

JediPrincess - you're so kind, thank you! I'm really happy that you like "my" Han--I really enjoyed drawing him and it always makes my day when other fans like the results of my endeavours! [:D]

Thanks for dropping by, guys, I really appreciate it. Your comments always make me smile, and it looks like this is the place to come to for inspiration as well! If you have any requests about what you'd like to see, do let me know--I'm not making any guarantees, but you never know! [:D] And I can only draw Han so many times... *lol* I really ought to try my hand at some other characters, so ideas are always welcome!

9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    This is why I learned to love this place here so much myself, dear Iverna. The kind tips, the appreciation and the inspiration. [face_love]

10. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I kind of neglected college last week to get this done... what can I say, the galaxy far, far away just grabbed me and didn't let me go again. And now I'm home with my scanner, so I can share it with you guys!

Scoundrel Tactics
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Scoundrel-Tactics.jpg]

...done as an illustration for a fan fiction I'm writing, "Intuition". Jag is in the process of rescuing Allana, and yes, he's leading her into a 'fresher. Or at least, my interpretation of what 'freshers look like, since we're never shown one! You can pretend it's from a different story if you like; I just loved the mental image of Jag, all soldier-on-a-mission, leading Allana by the hand!

This is all pretty much from imagination, although I used three loose references for Jag: a shot of Iker Casillas (Spain's national goalkeeper--random, I know) for the pose; a picture of Han's blaster for, y'know, the blaster; and a shot of Ewan McGregor (y'know, Denis Lawson's a.k.a. Wedge's nephew...) for the angle of the face. Mostly, I based this on my previous portrait of Jag, just aged him a bit and gave him scruff and slightly longer hair. Allana is all from imagination, as is the background.

I should give credit to FalconFan for telling me the technique that I ended up using for the carpet. Thanks! [:D] And apologies if my perspective is off, I don't do architecture that often and I'm not very good at it.

Thanks to the wonders of technology (a.k.a. my scanner) I've also got some closeups that are actually bigger than the original drawing... all praise Hewlett Packard. *lol*

Jag closeup:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Scoundrel-Tactics-Jagged.jpg]

Allana closeup:
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Scoundrel-Tactics-Allana.jpg]

Wow, I had a lot to say about this one. I'll shut up now. Feel free to take over the talking and let me know what you think!

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW, such great details and I loved to see how you have done this.

Great work=D==D==D=

12. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    That's gorgeous, a very good work =D=
    I can't say much about the technique... realism is not my knowledge :( but that it looks as good as always and you've done a very good job.
    My favourite thing about it is how Jag is holding Allana's hand. I adore Jag's face, it's really handsome [face_love]

13. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    [face_dancing][face_dancing]

Illustrations! =D= I was SO hoping you'd have a go at some--I knew they'd be fabulous!

This looks wonderful (and seriously, the hallway and perspective of it look great): I love Jag's intense and alert expression, and how he's guiding Allana in front of him to shield her if necessary; his weapon hand is perfect, carefully aiming at the ceiling, unless or until there's a concrete target on which to bead--perfect soldier habit! Excellent clothing/costuming: a nice example of covert mission attire, with enough of a soldier-ly look to catch someone off guard for a moment or two (re: mistaking him for someone official, instead of someone trying to rescue the Princess)--the folds and drapery look fabulous! And Allana...how dear! I love that she looks so much like TK, with a hint of Jacen...but what I love most is her trusting little hand in Jag's, and her outstretched fingers on the other--it's just so right for a child that age. Her face is open, expectant--maybe a tiny bit apprehensive--but she doesn't look scared at all, and I love the soft curls! [face_love] This SO fits your narrative, and is going to add a beautiful dimension to the story! Keep it up, girl--this ROX!! =D==D=

FF

14. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    earlybird - thanks! I was really happy with how it turned out, usually I mess up the face when I'm drawing a full-body pose. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!

Kiyuuchan - thank you! I've noticed that you don't really go for realism--but your style is always gorgeous, I love your art! [:D] I'm glad you like Jag--he's becoming one of my favourite characters to draw and since he's an EU character, it's really cool when other people like my interpretation of him!

FalconFan - yes, this is all thanks to you, you keep feeding ideas into my brain! *lol*

I'm really thrilled that you like this! I enjoyed drawing Jag "on the job" way more than I thought I would--"intense and alert" is exactly what I was trying to convey in him, so yay! As for Allana, I usually suck at drawing kids, but I think I've got the trick figured out now... I'm so glad you think she looks right for a kid her age, it's always a challenge not to make children look like miniature grown-ups when you're drawing them... at least for me it is! You really think she looks like her parents? That's so cool. [face_dancing] As for her expression, what you describe is EXACTLY what I was going for, so I'm really thrilled to hear that! Thanks so much for dropping by and commenting! [face_dancing]

I'm working on the next piece right now; this one will feature Jacen and Han, if I can get it to work. Jacen's arm is being stubborn! But I'll post it here asap. Once again, thanks for dropping by, everyone! [:D]

15. DarthBellumSolo

DarthBellumSolo Jedi Master star 1

Mar 26, 2008
    Iverna

Beautifully! However, Jag is very similar to Carth Onasi... But always it seemed to me that they are similar. Allana the charm, and very much reminds mum...

[face_devil] Bel [face_devil]

16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Woderful, Iverna! Simply wonderful.

*is forced to return to her 1.001 duties and Darth RL*

17. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    DarthBellumSolo - thank you! And you're right--I'd never seen an image of Carth, but I did a Google image search for him, and he DOES look like Jag in my drawing. Wow. It's unintentional, I assure you!

Glad you like Allana, and that's so cool that she reminds you of her mum! [:D]

Azure - thank you so much for taking the time to comment, especially given how busy you are. [:D] I'm glad you like this. Good luck dealing with Darth RL. ;)

18. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    o wow your art work is great! I love the way u draw their hair---its something that I'm still working on lol

19. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Alishu - thank you! I won't lie, my hair is mostly just scribbles. It all depends on light and shadow, really, it's not very hard once you get the hang of it. ;)

And now, an update. Yay!

It's one of my favourite scenes in Empire, it features the best reply ever to the classic "I love you", so of course, I had to draw it. Here, once again, are Han and Leia:

"I love you." (Leia Organa)
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Leia--I-love-you.jpg]
    ... I did this after the one of Han, but I suppose it really ought to come first. I'd wanted to try out cross-hatching for a while and I'm really quite happy with how it turned out. Aside from the hair, maybe, it doesn't work so well for that or maybe I was doing it wrong.

"I know." (Han Solo)
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Han--I-know.jpg]
    ... mhmm... anyway, this is also cross-hatched, on Bristol paper (oh, how I love thee!). I know, Han Solo again, but what can I do when he's so darned handsome in that scene, with that look in his eyes, and oh...

Coherence fail... uhm... I hope you like these, feel free to ask me if there's something else you want to know about 'em!

20. Kiyuuchan

Oct 12, 2008
    You're very welcome ! [face_mischief]
    Actually I'm trying to go a bit more realistic with the proportions, just think it looks better that way ^^
    I always envy how you get your pencil shading so smooth ^.^ I try to do the same in class but mine always look like I scribbled...
    Is there anything special I should be doing ? ^__^

And your new drawings... I think the cross-hatch works really well for the scene. It sort of makes them look more desperate and longing. I don't think I can describe it, but it brings out a weariness that is perfect for the pictures... [face_love]
    Very well done: A++ ;)

21. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Kiyuuchan - proportions are difficult, aren't they? But good on your for tackling them--it does pay off in the end!

I'm glad you like Han and Leia! I really enjoyed the cross-hatching, I must say. I'm happy that you think it works--and even adds to the effect, wow, that's really great to hear!

I always envy how you get your pencil shading so smooth ^.^ I try to do the same in class but mine always look like I scribbled...
    Is there anything special I should be doing ? ^__^

Hmm, okay... the easiest thing is to use a Kleenex, cotton bud, or something like that (NOT your fingers!) to smudge the pencil. It's simple and it works, but I've mostly stopped using it because it's easy to overdo, and when you overdo it and rely on it too much, your drawing ends up looking flat and boring. For "The Scoundrel and the Princess", I challenged myself to do the whole thing without smudging anything, and it took longer, but it turned out SO much better!

The main technique that I use involves taking a blunt, light pencil (HB or B is best) and angling it so it does light, broad strokes. Cover the area with short, light strokes, and layer them over each other, preferably at angles (like a soft version of cross-hatching, I suppose); this will give you a smooth cover. If some areas are lighter or you "missed a bit", you can even "colour it in" lightly until it's the same shade as the rest of the area. For darker areas, you can then go over it with a 2B or darker pencil in the same way. Just make sure to keep your strokes short. The more you wear down the pencil lead, the flatter and broader one side of it gets and the better this works. It takes longer than smudging, but I think it ends up looking a lot better. You can always smudge a little if it's not quite good enough, but the less, the better.

I hope that makes sense and helps a little. If you want me to clarify anything or explain something, just ask. [:D]

22. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Great Han and Leia!

I've had a similar piece planned for a long time and you beat me to the punch. Of course, it was one large composition, not two separate drawings, but the same concept nevertheless. ;)

I think you also have a great start with the cross-hatching. It can be very time consuming, especially to get it to blend and appear nice and smooth, but the payoff is great. I use cross-hatching to shade most of my graphite drawings. Adding layers also eliminates the graphite shine you get by just scribbling or smudging. Now that I've started doing it this way, I won't go back.

23. Black-Dog

Black-Dog Jedi Knight star 4

May 27, 2008
    Great job on the one with Jagged and Allana. Those of Han'n'Leia are perfectly just like the movies. =D= This is awesome stuff.

24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    both are so intense pictures with their emotions coming through. Lovely=D==D=

25. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    HanSolo - you totally should do that! It'd be awesome seeing a rendition of that scene from you! Please do it! [face_praying]

I'm glad you like my versions, and yeah, cross-hatching really does pay off. I really want to do more like these.

Black-Dog - thank you, I'm happy to hear that! [:D]

earlybird - I'm glad I got that across, thank you very much!

Yeah, I know, I just updated this a few days ago, but I've got another illustration done so I wanted to share it here.

[b]Jacen and Han Solo[/b]
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Han-and-Jacen.jpg]
    ... done for the same fan fic as "Scoundrel Tactics" and featuring, well, you know who. I used a reference shot for Han and aged him as best I could (Jacen's about thirty years old here, it'd be silly for his Dad to look the same age!). I tried to make Jacen look [i]a bit[/i] like his parents without going over the top. I think he resembles Han slightly, but I really don't know how well I managed it overall... anyway, didn't use a direct reference, so I'm happy with how it turned out.

As usual, hope you like it, and do let me know what you think! [face_peace]