main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Iverna's art--updated 28. August with Han, Leia, the Solo kids, Jack Sparrow, and Eric Northman

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Iverna, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Right, it took longer than anticipated (college got crazy!), but here's an update!

Jagged Fel and Jaina Solo
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Jagged-and-Jaina.jpg]

... drawn from imagination. I referred back to my previous drawings of Jag, and some shots of Han and Leia for Jaina's face, but there aren't any direct references for this one. They're supposed to be in the Falcon's galley, busy... well, preparing food, officially. [face_shhh] Couldn't find any refs for the galley, either, so it's based very loosely on the kitchen unit of the VW van that we used to go camping in when I was a kid.

Jag and Jaina are one of my favourite couples and I really enjoyed drawing them. [face_love] Hope you like them too!

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Jaina and Jag are gorgeous. You can see the love between them [face_love]
    and a galley? Sure the falcon should have one. In my fics she has one

3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I think you have a wonderful imagination, dear Iverna. And you turn those two into one of my favourite couples as well. They have fire, especially the way to draw them.

And about Darth Real life...

*offers you a KIT KAT chocolate bar*

What´s their ad? Oh yes: "Have a break have a KitKat."

*would need a break, too*

Well, art works, family and dear friends gave me that break...

4. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    early-bird - thanks so much! I love Jag and Jaina together. [face_love] Dunno why I took so long to draw them! And yeah, I figure that the Falcon must have a galley somewhere. I can't find one in the cross-sections, but I don't care. Even space people have to eat! ;)

Azure - thanks, I do my best! I'm glad you like these two, and that you can see "fire" between them is just awesome. Darth Real Life has relented somewhat by, now--yay!--and I hope he does that for you as well! [:D] Thank you so much for taking the time to look and comment!

5. Kiyuuchan

Kiyuuchan Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 12, 2008
    oh noooo I almost missed this!!
    It's amazing! The details, the shading~ [face_love]
    I love it!

I hate to say it but there's just still something in Jag's look... he looks a bit shocked, I think it's his eyebrows, they make him look surprised...
    that would fit though ^W^

6. Kailene

Kailene Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2009

7. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    Your newest artpiece is looking really, really beautifully.
    I also think you caught Jaina pretty well, because to me she looks a lot like my mental image and Jag is nearly perfect. In addition to I love the pose [face_love]

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Kiyuu - thanks so much, I'm happy to hear that. I struggled with both of their expressions a little because it's an illustration for a specific scene--which is here--so maybe Jag's expression might make more sense if you read the scene. Maybe not, though. Anyway, thanks very much for commenting!

Kailene - cheers, thanks for dropping by here! I can't get enough of Jaina and Jag either. [face_love] I'm thrilled that you like the expressions, and I'm so happy that the intensity comes through here... that's what I was going for. Thank you so much!

Cem - thank you! It seems that the opinions differ widely on Jaina... but I'm glad that you like her. Obviously everyone's got their own mental image, but it's great if this one's close to yours. [face_dancing] Thank you so much for your kind words!

I'll hopefully update again soon--I'm working on my June challenge piece at the moment. I was also almost finished with another Jaina piece, but I was drawing outside and the wind blew the drawing into my pencil... drew a lovely line across Jaina's face. :oops: So I need to go back and fix that, and finish the background. That'll teach me to draw on loose pages!

Thanks for looking, everyone, and thanks so much for the support!

9. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I managed to fix Jaina's hair! [face_dancing] So here she is:

Jaina - The Jedi Mechanic
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Jedi-Mechanic.jpg]

... I used Jewel Staite (Kaylee in Firefly) as a reference here because it just struck me how much alike they are. Well, in my head, at least. I did change her a good bit from the references, though, and tried to make her eyes more like Leia's. At the top, you see Jaina in her Jedi robes, standing in the hangar of Yavin 4's temple (you can look outside over her shoulder). Bottom left is Jaina in an X-Wing cockpit, and bottom right, she's in the Falcon fixing some bit of machinery, with grease on her face.

Sorry about the watermark, by the way. I've come across several instances now where people have re-posted and used my drawings without permission and without crediting me, so I'm now watermarking my stuff. Not that I'm against people re-posting my drawings, I just don't like it when they claim it's theirs. I'm trying to keep the marks as unobtrusive as possible.

Anyway, I hope you like her--as always, I'd love to know what you think! [face_peace]

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That's very pretty!!

11. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    WOW, that's beautiful. I love her hair!!! You make me feel quite envious. :D Love the way it's set up. Fantastic, fantastic job. [face_love] :)

- Serena

12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great job on Jaina and loved how you integrated all those poses in one picture.

13. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks so much, guys, I really appreciate all your kind words! [:D] I'll have more stuff up soon, once I get around to uploading it all. Coming up, we have the Young Jedi Knights - Anakin, Jacen, Jaina, Tenel Ka, Zekk, and Tahiri. Watch this space, and thanks again for dropping by! @};-

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Your artwork is as gorgeous as ever, Iverna. [face_love]

Your latest rendition of Jaina is wonderful! I love how you've incorporated all the aspects of her personality into one piece. Great stuff! =D=

15. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks, Idrelle! Glad you like Jaina--I've found that lately, her mechanic side has been really downplayed, so I really wanted to show that side of her. And, well, the other two major aspects of her as well. Thanks so much for the lovely comment!

16. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I was talking to someone the other day about how Tahiri is so underrepresented in fan art, which immediately made me want to draw her. The result was a quick sketch of Anakin and Tahiri. And, well, then I just had to do more. I guess these show the guys during their academy days, when they were about to graduate.

This was an excuse for me to a) practice drawing poses and b) come up with a different outfit for all of them. I didn't use any references, these are all from imagination. I know they're just sketches, but I wanted to share them anyway, and I hope you like 'em!

Young Jedi Knights - Anakin and Tahiri
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Anakin-and-Tahiri.jpg]

Tahiri's mouth is open because she was in the middle of saying something when the "holo" was taken. She just can't be quiet for long enough! I think this is my favourite of the lot.

Young Jedi Knights - Zekk and Jaina
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Zekk-and-Jaina.jpg]

I put them sitting and kneeling because of the height difference. Yep, those are grease smudges.

Young Jedi Knights - Jacen and Tenel Ka
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/bria_lt/StarWars/Jacen-and-Tenel-Ka.jpg]

Less height difference here, you'll notice! Yep, those are Jacen's fingers behind Tenel Ka's head. Probably the reason why he's grinning!

So now I'm working on my June Challenge piece, which I'm stuck on because drawing Threepio is NOT my favourite thing to do. I've also started a digital painting based on the A/T sketch above, but I'm not making any promises that you'll get to see it because it may turn out to be complete crap. ;) Aside from that, I've got a few requests to get done as well. So, yep, I'm busy. But you can expect more--and better--stuff soon! Thanks for looking!

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Very nice drawings and funny to see Jacen having that fun with Tenel Ka.

Love them all.=D==D==D=

18. LittleMissNightsaber

LittleMissNightsaber Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2009
    The Jaina/Jag pic is cute.

How about you draw them getting married since Jag proposed to her in Omen.

19. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks, earlybird - Jacen was such a joker during those days, so I really wanted to show that. Glad you like it!

Nightsaber - cheers! First of all--wow, thanks for telling me that! I'm not reading the books anymore, but... yay! I may well end up drawing what you suggested. [face_love]

Thanks guys! [:D]

As I mentioned, I've started a digital version of Anakin and Tahiri. If you'd like to see a w.i.p., it's below:

Well, Luke always held Master Yoda up as the shining example... Tahiri just got carried away... (or: "zomg! She's green!")

Bear in mind it's in the early stages, and my first proper digital painting, so don't expect anything terrific. As usual, thanks for looking!

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Great updates all around, Iverna!

Your Jaina piece is excellent! The composition works really well and again, your attention to detail is stunning. I can't get over the individual strands of hair in the central portrait. Nicely done!

And great insight with the sketches! It's always nice to get in on an artist's creative process and what better way than to post up rough sketches like this. I love them!

And finally, the digital rendering - WOW! You really managed to capture a realistic skin texture on Anakin. May I ask about your technique and what program you were using(Photoshop, Corel Painter etc)? I'm experimenting with digital as my primary medium for the moment and I'm trying to gauge how to capture the most realistic image possible. :)

21. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Thank you, HanSolo - glad you found the time to stop by! [:D] Jaina's hair was loads of fun to draw, except for the part where I had to redo bits because I drew a line through it... silly me. But thanks!

And I'm thrilled that you like the digital attempt--I'm only just starting digital painting myself, so it's a lot of trial and error. Anakin's face took me about three attempts before I got it right. Firstly, I'm using Photoshop with my Wacom tablet. Face/skin, hair, and clothes are three different layers. I put down the basic shapes in colour first, you can see that with Tahiri. Green as base colour for a face was suggested to me by a guy on deviantart, DarthFar, who has some great tutorials up as well by the way. So then I use a normal, hard brush, set to a low opacity (between 10 and 20%, but going lower or higher for details or something), and just start laying on different colours. The trick is to use different colours and not just the same one in varying shades of light/dark. Maybe you can see it better close up, but Anakin's skin is a mixture--green as base, and then mainly fleshy/beige tones, but there's some purple and light blue in there as well. Varying the brush spacing is also a good way to get texture. Basically you build up the skin layer with different colours until the green no longer really shows (I'm almost there with Anakin).

I kept the sketch on top of the other layers, set to multiply, so I'd know where everything went. Problem was, then I removed it, and the rest on its own hardly qualified as a "face"... in the end, I traced over the sketch, in low opacity black, on a new layer, and then merged that with the skin layer. Then I blended them together by adding more colour etc. It was just impossible to get proper outlines of his eyes otherwise, at least for me.

All right, that's a lot of rambling. I don't claim to be an expert, so DarthFar's tutorials might be better for ya. But this is what seems to work for me. Good luck anyway, and if you've got any more questions I can help you with, ask away! [face_peace]

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love your new digital artwork.

And green:D
    With oils I start with red faces as the base and keep adding brown, white, red, yellow, ochre

23. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Wow, Iverna - your digital art is coming out spectacularly! His face is amazing!! I cannot wait to see this finished. Wonderful job!!

- Serena

24. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    earlybird - thank you! Yeah, green... just some advice I got at some point so I tried it. Red sounds like it'd work as well. You have my respect for using oils, by the way. I never have the patience!

Serena - thanks, that's wonderful to hear! I don't think I'll finish it for ages, but I'll keep at it anyway. Thanks very much!

New piece coming up shortly!

25. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    All right... this is one of the most emotional pieces I've ever done. I hope you guys will like it, of course, but it was primarily a means for me to try and deal with the absolute horribleness that was Invincible. Those parts about the twins' bond and their past trials, along with Jacen's death at Jaina's hands, made for the saddest thing I've ever read.

So I decided to draw something based on all of that. To get it out of my system. So I've drawn the twins, together, at various points in their lives, to illustrate both the fun they had together, and the support they offered each other. And to try and come to terms with the fact that in canon, at least, Jacen is dead and Jaina was not only left alone, but forced to be the one to kill him. Anyway, here's what I came out with:

Invincible Together

I figured I'd start just linking to the page with the drawing, rather than posting them all here--it's probably better for people with slow connections. But if you reckon I should stick with the old way of doing things, let me know.

Jacen, you are missed.