main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Diego, CA J.J. Abrams reveals new ugly X-Wing design in latest Force for Change video

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DarthBrian, Jul 21, 2014.

1. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

The video in question. Definitely give it a watch for the charity stuff. Then we'll discuss how ugly that X-Wing is.

First thing's first, that *IS* an X-Wing according to the Star Wars twitter: https://twitter.com/starwars/status/491196351422554112

Now let's discuss how ugly it is.

The first thing you notice is the wing doesn't split through the middle like most X-Wings do. It looks like it goes through the engine but then the split appears to happen laterally through the wing plate. The bottom laser is attached to the "front foil" (so to speak) and the top laser is attached to the "back foil". Ugly.

I am, of course, assuming the wing does still split through the engine because the whole point of having four engines once the S-Foils split is for maneuverability in space. If the engines don't split, then it's bad design for a SPACE ship.

the next thing you notice is how aerodynamic they made the fuselage with it sloping down the back. It makes sense they made it aerodynamic because of all that air in space they have to fly through. /SARCASM

It also doesn't appear that there's room for an astromech droid behind the pilot's canopy. I hope I'm wrong about that.

The next detail that's missing is the prominent nose cone. There is still a nose cone but it's not sticking out as much. Again, probably so they could make it more aerodynamic for flying through all that air in space. :rolleyes:

To be clear, I would be fine with this if it were a new ship. But as an X-Wing this is an utter failure. Call it an H-Wing or a K-Wing or something. But this isn't an X-Wing.

Dune_Sea_Hermit likes this.
  2. yoshiki

yoshiki Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2003
    yah that is pretty ugly.

I can hear right now some fanboy saying that it's aerodynamic for when it flies in planetary atmospheres ( which have have even more air than all that air in space ) but the old X wings maneuvered just fine in atmosphere so I don't buy that argument.

This is just change for the sake of change and it's a bad change at that. I sure they'll call it an technical evolution of the X wing but that doesn't change that it's still a poor design.

It looks flat, like a AT-AT stepped on it.

3. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    what a bunch of haters.

As for technical evolution, it's closer to some of the McQuarrie concept art X-wings. [​IMG]

Miana Kenobi likes this.