main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation J.J. Abrams Says There Will Be a Central Love Story

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by ManaByte, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Why does the female protagonist need a love interest?

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Why does any movie need a love subplot?

Because in the end it's Hollywood and that's almost a "must have."

spicer likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, I ranted on that a few posts ago.

I was just curious as to the PP's assertion that the female protagonist must have a love interest but not the male. "Hollywood is sexist" doesn't work for me as a reason.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't think he would confirm a "central love story" about man-love between 2 guys that are good buddies like Luke and Han- of course he means a love story between a man and a woman. I can't picture them having the new SW with the total absence of a love story/romance. I don't think he is talking Han and Leia or Luke, but the new characters.

5. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Maybe they'll all just love their jobs?

6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not so sure. Did you see the new Star Trek movies? Bromance at its finest. Spock/Uhura felt cold and sterile compared to all the Spock/Kirk-hints and emotional scenes.

7. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    Star Trek has always been about the bromance. The Kirk/Spock relationship is kinda what drives Trek. The two bantering back and forth alsways a tinge of sarcasm.

Star Wars is about a boy, a girl and a galaxy...at least that's what it used to say before the movie started on my VHS ;)

JainaSoloYJK and fishtailsam like this.
  8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    True, but fact is, Abrams didn't shy away from it and delivered plenty fodder for the slash community. Right now this really seems to draw audiences.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    Agreed

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Exactly. Star Trek always had Kirk's flings, but nothing serious in terms of a "central love story," Kirk was like James Bond in space. Like the green girl he is with under the bed in the first Trek movie in '09, that is similar to what Trek has been all about. SW is different

JJ would not have put it like that about Kirk and Spock anyway, "Yes, the new Trek has a central love story, Kirk and Spock." That is clearly not what he meant.

Comparing every aspect as if JJ is out to make Star Trek out of Star Wars is doomed for failure, that is apples and oranges.

SW will have a romance in the ST, that is as sure as the sky is blue.

11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think we all knew there'd be a love story. I'm just hoping it's not a tweenie, Hunger Games or Twilight "love triangle".
    BUT Give me a LOST love quadrangle!!!!!!! :p

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell.

(I hated that show with the passion of Anakin on Mustafar but dammit...it was Abrams.)

13. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Well, then please go watch some of Kubrick's and Coen brothers' films. They are among the best american film makers ever and they obviously don't feel the need (or studio pressure) to satisfy demographics by inserting a love story.

Movies don't "need" romance. The fact that it's common place in Hollywood doesn't mean anything other than lack of originality and/or economic and demographic models of movie making. It may be archetypical in certain cases but never a necessity, that's absurd.

FRAGWAGON and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Imo in recent years hollywood has become more aware of the fact that simply put many people like romance, even fans of action movies. While 80ties action movies didn't include many love stories nowadays this is completely different and I personally don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Why are romances "yucky" when explosions and big guns aren't?

15. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm guessing that's because pulling off a believable emotional dialogue, performance, chemistry and overall feel is somewhat more challenging than making big guns and explosions work.

But then again, http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000881/?ref_=sr_1][/url]some people even manage big guns and explosions not to work.

16. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    No? Chuck Norris and Van Damme almost always got the girl.

I wonder how they are going tio handle it. The heroine hitting on a guy would be awkward, giving the look in the club and grinding woukld also be awkward. Hiunger Games got it right with the 2 of them isolated and geting close.

17. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    I knew exactly who your link would lead to.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  18. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    No , I do think romance is one of the key elements , the whole thing is a romance (I know it was meant in other ways but still ) , it has to have swashbuckling , it has to have comedy sidekicks , it has to have OTT villains and it has to have romance .

unfortunately romance is very hard to do , I do hope the main character this time is a female , and that the romance has some comedy and wit to it . You know who'd be good at that - Joss Whedon!!
    sorry , ok , must accept Whedon's out of the frame , but dammitt ....!!!

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Amelia" Solo might work. Female, Force-sensitive, descended from Leia, with some scoundrelly skills, royal, close to the right age already. Push the timeline up a bit from Fate of the Jedi and you've got a pretty good protagonist.

20. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah - thats because Luke is a Jedi and isnt really supposed to mess around with such things. Id be pissed if they did that!

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Did I hear a rumor that Whedon is supposed to do one of the spin offs? That man can direct some kick-ass female characters.

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Clearly a failure, his films have only generated north of four billion dollars in revenue from theaterical releases alone.

23. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    They can generate all they want, they are still crap.
    Money is hardly the most important factor in judging artistic achievement.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    In that case, fifty shades of grey is obviously also a glorious shining star of literature.

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    So now we are talking about artistic achievement as opposed to guns and explosions?

Michael Bay's films have been nominated for at least 15 Academy Awards and he was inspired to become a film maker by George Lucas himself.

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean that it doesn't "work". How many film critics panned A New Hope when it came out in 1977? Nearly all of them. Yet here we are today.

If you guys want to talk about art house films and fine literature, that is completely different than trying to sell us that some of the most successful film makers of all time are not successful, or "don't work", based upon you not liking them.

If their films didn't "work", no one would be watching them. They work just fine - Twilight(shudder) works just fine - and yes, 50 Shades of Grey works just fine as well. Doesn't mean I like them but it is silly to try and alter reality to try and paint them as failures.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.