main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

J.J. Abrams STAR TREK XI

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWanCon, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Seconded. The KotOR sub-franchise in particular has been stellar, far superior to any of the movies or books in the same period. Even KotOR II, a rushed half-complete mess of a game, is fun as hell.

But as far as comics in general are concerned, even though the industry HAS made great strides, the writing is still full of middle-school-level grammar and spelling problems that are frankly embarrassing to read. I can forgive it every once in a while from the small indie companies flying by the seats of their pants, but when I see titles from DC and Marvel regularly mixing up they're, their, and there (for example, there are more egregious examples but none that spring to mind) I find it really hard to defend the medium against people who say it's still kids' stuff.

2. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I don't judge books as a medium by the examples of Dan Brown or Nora Roberts. Defend comics as a medium with work like Sandman, The Watchmen, Fables, The Unwritten, etc.

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    But even Dan Brown's editor would be ashamed of letting the kinds of spelling and grammar errors I'm talking about slip into one of his books.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    And if I had read any of KotOR, I might have been able to comment on it. As mentioned, I'm about 14 years out of date with comics, and work with what I've read. The Thrawn Duology combined with one of the clone wars novels (Heart of Darkness in the GFFA), ended my interest in SW novels.

5. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Two things. Firstly, show me the errors. I'm not saying that errors don't exist. What I will say is that I don't expect that the rate of error in comics is significantly higher than the rate in mainstream fiction. Secondly, something to keep in mind about relative quality (outside of spelling and grammar) of comics is that the medium publishes far fewer books in North America than conventional publishing. With a smaller pool of available talent and application of Sturgeons Law, in its own way it's surprising that there are as many good books as there are.

It's a mistake to write off a medium or genre based on its average entry. I have no reservations whatsoever recommending the likes of Fables or The Unwritten to anyone, whether or not they read comics.

6. The_Smirking_Revenge

The_Smirking_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2008
    Wow, as usual absolutely nothing about what this thread is intended for. Just a bunch of pointless arguments. This place is slippin'.

-T_S_R

7. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    So I happily picked up the DVD this morning at the Blockbuster down the street. Anyone else pick it up? Anyone?

I got the 1 disc package (as that's all they sell at Blockbuster) which is a new one for me but I'm tired of pretty much never looking at the bonus disc even in the case of SW films. Seemed like a waste of money.

Now, as a completist, which really means obsessive compulsive nerd, I feel the regret.:_|:p

8. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I'm going to be picking up the blu-ray the next time I'm in a store that has it.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Keep in mind that disc 2 is where the deleted scenes are when choosing a version. Disc 1 just has the gag reel and trailers for TF:ROTF, GI Joe and Fringe.

10. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I watched this today for the first time. Besides the fact that there was WAY too much drama for a star trek movie, it was very good. :D

Evil.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Aside from the plot holes (mainly a few tech problems), its still a pretty good movie. Not my favorite Trek movie, but still a very fun movie, and I hope it keeps Trek active for a long while yet.

Got the Blu-ray, the Enterprise looks absolutely fantastic, though that's no surprise. Also nice to understand what they're saying at some points with subtitles, not to mention now I can pause the movie and look at all those Starfleet ships before they get blown up. I've always loved Starfleet ship designs. Just wish more of them had been given class names by now. Oh well, I still like the Enterprise's current look.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Apparently the BTS info on the disc confirms what many suspected in that the new Enterprise is much, much bigger than the original (in fact, seems to be larger than the Enterprise-E!).

The deleted scenes are pretty good- with exception to the Kirk/brother/step-father/car scene, I don't think any of them would have detracted from the film. The Klingon/Nero stuff was good, as was the extra Kobyashi Maru/green girl scenes.

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    The problem with not having the stepfather scenes is that the car scene utterly loses the meaning, leaving the momment and the character shallow and hollow. And they couldn't not have the car scene, because it was in all the trailers.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it loses all meaning- you still have him rebelling against a jerk stepdad by wrecking his car. You just lose the relevance of the brother and the specific motivation for rebellion.

15. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    The two kid scenes are probably my least favorite part of the movie. The car, Beastie Boys, and Nokia product placement and ringtone just take me right out of the movie. It's worse than Will Smith's "vintage" sneakers in I, Robot. And the Vulcan bullies just don't work for me.

16. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Best movie I have seen in years, was just as enjoyable on the small screen.

This movie had so many obstacles to overcome, opinions may vary, but this film is easily as good as any of the series, if not better.

All the special features were just gravy.

17. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    It takes Kirk from being the golden boy who has been spoiled and is rebelling to help his brother and get even with the step-father, and makes him a spoiled brat who decides to destroy his step-father's car on a whim.
    Hey, there isn't even anything in the movie to say who the voice on the phone was.

And yes, for all the faults, it was the first Star Trek movie I've enjoyed since Trek6. Not as good as that one, but the first one I've enjoyed.

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Hey, what movie is this? Put either "Kirk" or "Spock" into all the blanks...

A group of Starfleet cadets under take the Kobayashi Maru test while ____ observes. The virgin crew of the Enterprise voyages out in response to a distress call. ____'s family is under attack by the villain, who has been waiting many years to take his revenge on ____. The villain, who also possesses alien bugs used to control victims' minds, initially has the upper hand, but they come to a stalemate. The villain departs as Spock takes command of the Enterprise while Kirk is marooned on a barren rock. Eventually Spock helps Kirk beam back to the Enterprise so they can confront the villain, as ____ is forced to confront the meaning of the Kobayashi Maru test in a real-world setting. Kirk defeats the villain, and Spock saves people from the villain's doomsday weapon. Leonard Nimoy recites the famous split-infinitive speech and the credits roll.

19. Koohii

May 30, 2003
  20. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Do you mean that's where the deleted scenes are, or is there a version of the film that actually has them inserted?

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The deleted scenes are located on Disc 2 of the DVD set, so they're probably not on the 1-disc version. No release has them edited back into the film.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That particular plot point has been Star Trek canon since 1967 at the latest ( TOS: "Journey to Babel" ).

23. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah, I suspected as much. A couple of shots in the movie show that the bridge is just a small section buried deep at the foot of the traditional "bridge dome", making the rest of the ship very large indeed.

I've always been a bit of a nerd when it comes to Trek's ship designs, but I really like the new super-scaled Enterprise. It gives it more presence and authority that the E-D had, but the E-E lacked IMO.

24. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    Oh I see, just misunderstood. I got the blu-ray anyway, so it's all good.

25. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I know. It's not the concept that I have a problem with, it's the execution. The scene is just played with zero subtlety. The lead bully is more of an Aspie than a Vulcan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.