main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

J.J. Abrams STAR TREK XI

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWanCon, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah I love the nacelles and pylons. Having them curve slightly inwards makes them look far more sturdy and believable.

Here's a shot of my two toys, er.. models, highlighting the distance between the old and new nacelles.

[image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/photos/DSC06619.jpg]

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I dunno what you mean about the scale. Zacparis' picture quite clearly show both the original and the new Enterprise to be of a similar size.

:p

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    :p

Good call- I think I've seen the ones you refer to.

4. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I lost interest in seeing the movie when I saw the Enterprise design. The Kelvin looks great, though. I never thought I'd like a one nacelle ship, but it's beautiful.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    As I think I've mentioned before somewhere, I really dislike the Kelvin's design- the "nacelle on one side, secondary hull on other" attempt at symmetry just ends up making it ugly- and not just ugly, but an ugly that you can't tell which way is up.

6. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I think even the producers couldn't tell which way was up. When the captain uses the turbolift to get to the shuttlebay, it appears to be going down, when clearly the secondary hull is above the bridge. :p

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Uniball Vision Elite pen:
    [image=http://www.mpuni.co.jp/newsrelease/photo/visionelitealone.jpg]

Enterprise side view:
    [image=http://www.movietrailers.net.au/images/star-trek-xi-11-enterprise-20081.jpg]

As for the secondary hull above the dish factor: the original TV model was supposed to be "upside-down" from what was eventually used. The "secondary" hull was originally on top, with the warp engines like pontoons. Someone (Roddenbury?) turned the model "right-side up" and said "that looks much better". And so it came to pass.

At least, that's a story I heard...

8. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    That's just a fan rendering designed before the new Enterprise was revealed I think.

Speaking of pens, the Cheyenne class studio model actually had markers for warp engines.

[image=http://a.imagehost.org/0239/Cheyenne_class_studio_model.jpg]

9. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I'll have to try to find better images, then.

Meanwhile, that cheyenne class looks... ugly. Sorry. But really... Worse than the Trek11 enterprise. And there are just too many numbers in the NCC registration. 4 digits is perfect. Adding the -Letter was pushing. 5 digits is just too many. And 6 is out of the question. Just looks wrong.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I guess you don't like the Defiant and Voyager then. Most ships since TNG have had five digit registries. :p

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Makes sense, actually- if so much of the fleet was wiped out by the Borg and had to be replaced, combined with any additional military build-up beyond those numbers to improve their chances the next time, then there'd be a lot of new ships in a short period of time, which might make an additional digit necessary.

12. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I'm just glad they haven't migrated to IPv6 yet. NCC-2348:1111:AAD7:1:213:19FF:FE7B:5004

13. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    I do miss the size and submarine feel of the original, however, Enterprise's role was always a battleship/cruiser type, with smaller ships being closer to the submarine style. The new Enterprise definitely has space more like a carrier or battleship, for modern reference points.

However, on the other point of technological advancement made between Nero's destruction of the Kelvin and the new Enterprise, I believe it is reasonable to speculate that Starfleet's priorities may have changed slightly with the attack. They may have been expecting another attack, either from the same ship or the rest of the Romulan Empire, as they would have no way of knowing that the Romulans were not behind the attack. They may have put more focus on military hardware, and intelligence in Romulan and Klingon activities and technology, including increasing the size of their vessels.

14. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    OK, now hold on to that reaction - now you understand what it's like for me to read the PT described as anything but an utter disappointment.

Just as I view this STAR TREK movie - utter disappointment.

15. Daramin_of_The_Way

Daramin_of_The_Way Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2004
    I read your review, DRush76, so I could try and understand your disappointment, and we may just have to agree to disagree (what is the internet for, anyway?)

When i first heard of the new movie, I was very "meh" about it. The original trailer did not inspire me much. The casting choices struck me as being mediocre at best, and not inspiring.

The 2nd trailer caught my eye and made me more willing to see it. When I did see, I was blown away by the action, and even upon repeated viewings, I still enjoy the movie. While there are some plot holes, mainly the big bad super nova, other aspects I could enjoy with a little bit of suspension of disbelief.

The main thing that sold me on this movie was the characters and their chemistry that comes across in their performance. Like the way Bones and Kirk meet, and gives a new spin on Bones' nickname. I like the fact that Kirk cares about his crew even though he barely knows them and is willing to sacrifice himself to save them. Spock and Kirk start out in a hate-hate relationship and slowly grow into a grudging respect by the end of the movie, which is not the way most fans imagined their relationship getting started.

I love the fact that there are genuine heroes in this movie, from Robaue, to George Kirk, Pike and at the end, Kirk, who are willing to put themselves in harms way for the sake of saving others.

Again, we are welcome to your opinion, but I think this movie brings some elements from the original series, such as the teamwork of the crew, and the fun of exploring space back to Star Trek.

My two credits:-B

16. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Such as?

18. frodopwo

frodopwo Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2011
    Spamvertising.

19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I do miss the size and submarine feel of the original, however, Enterprise's role was always a battleship/cruiser type, with smaller ships being closer to the submarine style. The new Enterprise definitely has space more like a carrier or battleship, for modern reference points.

However, on the other point of technological advancement made between Nero's destruction of the Kelvin and the new Enterprise, I believe it is reasonable to speculate that Starfleet's priorities may have changed slightly with the attack. They may have been expecting another attack, either from the same ship or the rest of the Romulan Empire, as they would have no way of knowing that the Romulans were not behind the attack. They may have put more focus on military hardware, and intelligence in Romulan and Klingon activities and technology, including increasing the size of their vessels.

[/quote]

They might have some idea, seeing as Nero outright denied that he was affiliated with the Empire and Pike would have reported Nero's time travel story to Starfleet. Plus, the Romulans likely would deny it if the Federation brings it up to them. Still, I think given the destruction of Vulcan and the devastation of the attack in general, you're right about the priorities of Starfleet changing quite a bit. They're going to be rather wary from here on out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.