main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

J.J. Abrams STAR TREK XI

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWanCon, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    A reimaging of Trek, in the hope that it will be as popular as the reimagination of Batman in "Batman Begins."

I wonder if the broad-audience appeal will be accepted...

2. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    That would depend on the cast I suppose. If they had a 'sexy' Kirk, and hyper-amped his stereotype of a charmer / womaniser, they could snare some segments of the female viewing market.

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Yes except Paramount wants more than die-hard Trekkies (Trekkers, whatever) to see this one.

I say either original cast or franchise reboot. For me the appeal of Trek has never been in the convoluted continuity or the techno-babble. The great thing about Star Trek is how it uses the sci-fi setting to deal with present-day and universal human issues.

The fascinating (couldn't help myself) science and adventure aspects are set dressing, but the heart of it all is the relationships between the characters and the strange new worlds they encounter.

4. Beowulf

May 28, 1999
    Abrams is planning a reboot along the same lines as Batman Begins and such. I think it may pan out if they can get rid of the techno-babble that made every single ST show about as much fun as watching grass grow and paint dry at the same time. (Thus the fact that mostly Trekkies watch the movies in the theaters while the mainstream audience somewhat shuns the movies).

They're in for a rough ride, considering that ST has a certain "super-ultra-mega nerd" connotation with it (SW has the same, but to a lesser extent. Just the "ultra-mega nerd" connotation. ;) ) It will be interesting to see.

They can't really go back to the original cast because DeForest Kelley and James Doohan have both passed away. It wouldn't be the same without Bones or Scotty...

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I just hope they don't fall into the trap of trying to be all BSG-gritty. I could see them doing that in much the same way they tried to out-Star-Wars Star Wars with ST:TMP. I hope the producers pay attention to the fact that most people (to my knowledge) favor II and IV out of all the Trek films, since they are arguably the most 'fun' installments in the series, not to mention among the most approchable from an outsider's perspective.

6. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Abrams is cool but Bryan Singer should have been doing this film.

7. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Nah, I think screwing up Superman is enough.

I think someone should talk Spielberg into it. Or maybe Nicholas Meyer, since he's responsible for what are generally regarded as the 3 best Trek films (II -director, IV -writer, and VI -writer/director).

8. Confidence

Confidence Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    The problem here is that the techno-babble is as part and parcel of Star Trek as Picard boldly going. The reboot of the Batman franchise took it back to its roots. That was right. A reboot of Star Trek without the techno-babble would be wrong. What needs to happen is stronger stories than we've had recently. Don't strike off one thing to make way for another: have the courage and creativity to pitch both in. That's what the very best Trek always has done. Your opinion that every single Star Trek is show about as much fun as watching grass grow and paint dry at the same time means you're obviously no fan of what trek actually is, and so are not going to like any new Trek film unless it betrays itself.

It's a massive misconception that in order to bring a franchise back you can't cater to the hardcore fanbase, that you have to distance yourself from all that they geek out over. You don't, you absolutely don't.

9. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Well said Confidence =D==D==D=

10. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    What would a rebooted Star Trek without Treknobabble be like? The Hunt for Red October in Space???

Hmm... that's actually not too bad an idea. However, if the Klingons were the Russians, then it would be pretty similar to Star Trek VI. Perhaps they could do an analogy instead of the Cold War, with the current War on Terroism?

11. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    You mean the Makke(sp?)?

12. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Huh??? :confused:

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Maquis- a psuedo terrorist group that appeared in DS9 and VOY. IIRC, they were originally colonists that later wouldn't give up their worlds when the Federation gave the planets to the Cardassians.

14. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Now I get it. Sorry, I didn't associate that spelling with the Maquis.

15. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Batman could have self-imploded and been utter crap, but some excellent direction, plot and actor performances ensured a wonderful movie, and a credit to the franchise.

I imagine there were plenty of hardcore bat-fans worried when they heard the over-view of the batman reboot, but it paid off in the end.

I'd imagine your fears over a ST reboot might be misled, and it's worth waiting to see the final product.

My personal opinion is that the original movies had far less techno-babble than the TNG movies, and it worked for them. It was more about the relationship between Kirk and Spock than about inverting the polarity of the main deflector to emitt a tachyon pulse.

If it's handled correctly it will work.

16. Beowulf

May 28, 1999
    Indeed. If Abrams can show he is a very good director (this is still up for grabs), and can pull in the kind of talent needed to bring ST to the forefront again, then I shall be impressed. And as long as they bring Christopher Plummer back to play a Klingon (General Chang from ST 6), I'll be very happy.

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    QFT.

Yes, the technobabble is an essential part of the BACKDROP for anything Trek. But all the technobabble in the world is meaningless if the characters (and audience) don't go on some sort of meaningful journey.

I would liken Trek's technobabble to LotR's mythology. When making a movie, of course one should attempt to satisfy the established fans of the pre-existing material. But unless it's a straight-to-video release that can recoup its cost based solely on the sales to said fans, the film also has to appeal to those who don't know a thing about the franchise.

18. HankDGomez

HankDGomez Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2007
    I grew up on Trek! I'm terrified of a reboot (but of course I'll be first in line, and I've seen every Enterprise episode, even though they were lame!). With the exception of a few glimmers on Voyager and a very few on DS9, pretty much everything since Roddenberry died has been a waste! I can't think of many successful reboots that change what made a concept great in the first place. TNG recaptured the old Trekkies, and got a whole new generation--and was very true to the BOLDLY GOING, NON-soap-opera-formula-pandering heart of Trek. Sorry to butt in.

19. adoyidej

adoyidej Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 17, 2004
    Personally, I think I'm ready for the reboot...I love everything that's been done, I think a true remake is long overdue.

20. ObiWanCon

Apr 15, 2004
    I'm bringing this thread backup because there's been some news and there's more big news on STAR TREK XI coming at Comic-Con so go here to catch up Trekmovie.com and the latest news is Zachary Quinto from HEROES is rumored to be in negotiations for the role of SPOCK.

21. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I could buy that. He seems like he'd be able to pull the role off well.

22. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Yeah I could see him as Spock.

23. Randy1012

Randy1012 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2007
    I think it'd be a great choice, and also an encouraging one. While his role in Heroes has given him some recognition, he's not really a "name" actor. Hopefully they follow the same route in choosing an actor for Kirk.

24. ObiWanCon

Apr 15, 2004
    [image=http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/ObiWanCon/Star_Trek_Poster2.jpg]

Zachary Quinto IS SPOCK and Leonard Nimoy also returns as SPOCK.

Go to Trekmovie.com for all the news on STAR TREK

25. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    I just saw news of this too. how exciting. Christmas day 08? And they still might have William Shatner in there as well. Can't wait!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.