main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

J.J. Abrams STAR TREK XI

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWanCon, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Leonard Nimoy is one of my all-time favorites, but I really didn't want this to be a flashback movie and with Nimoy playing Spock, that's what I'm afraid this will be.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I love these announcements!

3. Dezdmona

Dezdmona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    I don't think Nimoy will be in the movie much...and I don't think it will be a flashback move...maybe there will be a flashforward.
    (It is a JJ Abrams film after all) ;) :p

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    For those who might not know who Zachary Quinto is, he also played Adam Kaufman (the CTU computer geek who was angry at Kim most of the season) in 24 Season 3 and 24: the Game.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Like I said in JCC, this increases my hope that this will be a post - Generations flashback film with Nimoy as the anchor.

6. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Then why not have Picard feature with Spock as well! ;)

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I've heard on the radio earlier today that Robbie Williams was/is (?) in talks to play... Kirk o_O

8. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    First let may say I once was a Trekkie - but then I found Babylon 5, Farscape, and the new version of Battlestar Galactica and left Trek far behind. So my personal investment for the Trek franchise is nearly null and void. That said I'd like to add my two cents worth regarding what I think this new Trek film involves.

It might be a film that explains one of the reasons a younger James Kirk wanted to join Starfleet. That reason being so that he might discover what really did happen to his long-lost father ( George Kirk Sr ). The film may take place before Kirk's first five year mission as seen in classic Trek. Or it may be set during the fourth year of that original five year mission. Ultimately it reads like a partial reboot. It is a story around the time of the classic show and remains true to the basic established franchise, but with a fresh set of younger actors playing the classic characters. If this partial reboot does well at the box-office then future films will most likely be confined to the original five year mission time frame. Essentially we'll be getting a fourth season of the classic show.

It might ultimately serve everyone better if the producers of this new Trek film had opted for a complete reboot instead of a partial reboot. Why? The accumalation of continuity errors may be a real handicap for this ailing franchise. Paramount would have been better off following in the footsteps of Universal/Sci-Fi Channel. Go back to square one and start over. The new version of Battlestar Galactica and Batman Begins should indeed be Paramount's goal. Maybe it is and the producers are gently trying to prepare the devout Trekkies for the changes. In other words the producers might be patting the heads of devout Trekkies and saying they'll stay true to the established franchise - but in reality they have pushed the big red reset button.

For myself I'm glad to have Babylon 5, Farscape, and new version of Battlestar Galactica as better alternatives to the rotting Trek cash cow. That reads rather mean spirited, but I call'em like I see them. Trek had its day. I thank Roddenberry and Coon for a show that made use of secular humanistic philosophy, racial tolerance, and emotionally charged future-history projections. I really do. But Trek's producers did the franchise to death. See one of the things that makes B5, Farscape, and BG better is those three shows understood QUALITY over QUANITY. Less is more. Don't over stay one's welcome. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. You get the picture.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Who knows? We may yet. We don't really know the script yet, and only two cast members so far (Quinto and Nimoy).

10. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Interesting interview with Nimoy. It's part one of two, part two will be available tomorrow.

Please take you're time and reading it. I find it very interesting. It seems they at least have a good script and good prerequisite for making this a comeback for Trek.

11. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    What's more interesting is that it seems that Nimoy has a SIGNIFICANT role, not *just* a cameo.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    At least they have confirmed that he's playing Spock and not (as I feared they might) offered him the role of Sarek.

13. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    Part 2 of the interview in my previous post.

14. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    And another good interview. This time with J.J. Abrams on why to include Nimoy in the film.

"The story needed his participation for a number of reasons. One, the plot. In many ways, the story revolves around the character of Spock. Two, I think it?s critical if we?re going to look at reintroducing these characters ? I didn?t want to disrespect what had come before, for those who care about that. But we?re making this movie for people who don?t care about Star Trek too. This isn?t about pleasing the fans, this is about making a great film. And to do that, you have to both please the fans and please the people who?ve never seen Star Trek. So having Leonard in the film shows that this film exists in a continuum of Trek history, as opposed to an absolute, page 1 reinvention".

15. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    Having read the interviews with Nimoy, I am hopeful that this film will be better than the last couple of Trek films.

16. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
  17. CaptainBinaca

Jul 15, 2005
    Well I kind of figured most of them would be there. Kirk, Spock and McCoy having the big parts and the others showing up as sort of cameo characters. Is this really a scoop? What else was expected?

18. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Is *is* kinda a scoop, as it does help determine when the film will be set. If the entire TOS cast of characters is featured, then doesn't the movie have to be set *after* season 1, as doesn't one of the main characters (Chekov?) join in season 2?

19. Beowulf

Beowulf Jedi Master star 5

May 28, 1999
    Has anybody noticed that Trek has jumped onto the Reboot Bandwagon, specially since Batman Begins started it off...

I do not have high hopes for this movie, but I am quite curious, especially with the casting update too. Trek unfortunately has fallen by the wayside.

I just hope that this movie isn't overloaded with technobabble...

20. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    This isn't really a reboot like Batman, Superman or Bond. It's more of a prequel, like Star Wars.

21. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I'm no Trek expert but watching the bonus features on The Wrath of Khan DVD the film makers stated that they retconed Chekov into Season 1 of TOS by having Khan recognizies him. One can assume that Chekov was on the Enterprise from the start and Khan spotted him "offscreen" but he wasn't seen on camera until the second season.

Of course if I'm totally wrong ignore the ramblings of a Trek newbie.

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    What makes you think that Batman Begins started it all? Batman Begins came out in 2005. Battlestar Galactica was reimaged and rebooted (with great success) in 2004, and that's not even the first high profile reboot in recent years.

Kimball Kinnison

23. CaptainBinaca

Jul 15, 2005
    I always assumed that was just a mistake by the WoK screenwriters, not an intentional retcon

24. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
  25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    One rumor that was floating around the other day was JJ was hoping to cast Tim Cruise in a cameo as Captain Pike, though this was apparently denied.

No, you're right- that's been the explaination for the Kahn/Chekov thing, though I think it's gone further tp say Chekov merely had a lower rank or position on the ship in Season 1, and was eventually promoted to bridge crew by Season 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.