main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

J.J. Abrams STAR TREK XI

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWanCon, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Chekov Casting News! from The Hollywood Reporter

Yelchin sets course for 'Trek'
    By Tatiana Siegel

Aug 8, 2007

J.J. Abrams is putting together his bridge crew for Paramount Pictures' 11th film in the "Star Trek" franchise. Russian-born Anton Yelchin is in negotiations to play Pavel Chekov, the Russian-born navigator of the USS Enterprise under the command of James T. Kirk.

Yelchin will join Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy, who will both play the role of Mr. Spock. Casting is under way in New York and London for Kirk, Bones, Uhura, Sulu, Scotty, the film's villain and the Federation captain. Abrams, who will helm the untitled film, is expected to sign bigger-name actors for the latter two parts.

Plot details are being kept under wraps, but the story line is believed to chronicle the early days of the Enterprise crew during their time at Starfleet Academy.

Chekov was played by Walter Koenig on the original "Star Trek" TV series, and he is a key member of the Enterprise crew.

Abrams is producing the tentpole through his Paramount-based Bad Robot shingle. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci penned the screenplay and will executive produce along with Bryan Burk and Damon Lindelof. The film is scheduled to bow on Christmas Day 2008.

Yelchin, whose recent credits include "Alpha Dog," next appears in "Charlie Bartlett" and "Finding t.A.T.u." He is repped by CAA.

Entertainment Weekly's PopWatch Blog has a photo of Yelchin
    http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/08/star-trek-watch.html

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Maybe they can explain the accademy rivalry between Kirk & Finnegan (or whoever that was on the fantasy planet).

As for when they set it, Don't really care.

The big problem with enterprise wasn't the cast, it was the Time-Travel/Temporal War super-plot that didn't fit in with anything and made no sense.

DS9 was totally different because it was B5 retooled for the ST universe (long story, don't really want to get into it here).

IF they do make it in line with the original series, they should make the sets and models as close to the original as possible without making it super-tech make over or giving it too much "bling" (whatever the hell that word is supposed to mean).

3. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    The film is going to have to have a 1960s retro look. Judging by the teaser posters that looks like the way they're heading.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The term "bling" originates from the typical sound effect assocated with a sparkle of light coming off of a piece of jewerly, gold tooth, etc in tv or movies.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Dude, I'll say it again: You need to watch the series again. The Dominion War arch is far more darker and gritter than it was on B5. This is coming from someone who has watched and likes both series.

6. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Oh...Sorry, I thought this was supposed to be about the NEW Star Trek flick... My mistake. ;)

D_M_S_L

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the latest rumors floating about have been a cameo by Tom Cruise as Captain Pike (though that one was apparently debunked and probably couldn't happen after the Paramount/Cruise falling out, despite JJ's working past with him) and russell Crowe as the main villian.

8. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Interesting article at AICN:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33832

An ALTERNATE timeline???

9. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    If this is true, it will make me SO many kinds of happy.

Avoiding a total discard of established canon while leaving an easy out to forget the whole thing if it doesn't work is the best idea I've heard for this project. Then we'll NEVER have to worry about idiotic Lucas-eque retcons to the original movies *cough*Haydenghost*cough*.

10. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    The guy that's going to be playing chekov is pretyy cool. He was on the series Huff.

11. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    What about Christian Slater as a Young Captain Pike?
    OK, he's a little old for it now, and he already made an appearance as Sulu's comm's officer, but what the heck.
    It might get him out of the limbo of bad and/or low-budget movies he's been consigned to lately (like "Alone in the Dark" and the one where he plays a priest).

12. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    STAR TREK XI CASTING NEWS

Mike Vogel is the front runner for the part of James T. Kirk in STAR TREK XI

KIRK NEWS

13. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    Not too sure about that choice... I hope it's not true. He just doesn't have that "Kirk quality", if you know what I mean.

D_M_S_L

14. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    The chick that played Anamaria in Pirates of the Caribbean will be playing Uhura in the new film. I definetely like the choice.

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Vogel is not my first choice for Kirk but he looks like he could be a decent candidate, but again, not my first choice.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I've never heard of him, but he's a decent physical match for Shatner. Now if only he can master the slow-then-fast-then-slow dialog, then I'm sold.

17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    It's the fact that his hair is real, right?

18. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    STAR TREK XI NEWS

Karl Urban as the VILLAIN and he?s not a Vulcan but close if you know what I mean.

STAR TREK Goes Urban

19. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm hoping that the report is accurate, I've always liked Karl Urban.

20. ObiWanConClone

ObiWanConClone Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2006
    BIG STAR TREK XI NEWS

Eric Bana has been cast as the Villain in STAR TREK XI go to the link for the story Trekmovie.com

21. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I think Bana would make a good villain.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    So, the Romulans, are going to try and destroy Earth? Awesome. I have high hopes for this movie. The casting is shaping up to be excellent and JJ is doing exactly what the director on a big screen adaptation of a long running TV show should do, give us a big epic story that would be impossible to do on a weekly TV show.

23. SionsBrother

SionsBrother Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 26, 2006
    Interesting. I don't know if the Romulan part could be true, considering that Kirk never encountered Romulans until "Balance of Terror".

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That he knew about. ;)

25. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    Pine Up for Star Trek

It looks like Vogel may have been passed on by the studio since CS.net is reporting that Chris Pine is in talks to play Kirk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.