main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams to direct and co-write Star Wars: Episode IX (see warning on page 34 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by soul8luos, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm a huge PT fan, but I'm also not dying for a ton of references. Thematic and narrative connections yes, but it's also vital for the sequel trilogy to have its own identity.

2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Which will be in contrast to the two trilogies before it.

The PT is about Anakin giving in to the Dark Side because of his greed for power to save the ones he loves.

The OT is about Luke resisting the Dark Side because of his ability to let go of the ones he loves.

So what will the ST be about in relation to that? This time there are two major players in Rey and Kylo Ren rather than one. Ben Solo has already fallen. But why? Will he stay with the Dark Side? Rey presumably will be tempted. What will her choice be and why does she make that choice?

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015

Well, if we take Rey seriously in the teaser, the ST is moving towards "... the balance"

4. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I disagree with your interpretation of the OT, but I think the questions you raise about the ST are on point. Lotsa "whys" in the ST< and I like that.

5. BlueHenDave

BlueHenDave Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 21, 2013
    Going with todays society of total acceptance regardless if it really is good for people, I expect Disney to go with the balance theme and acceptance of the dark side, the light side, the neutral side.

guittarjedi likes this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Character-wise this is probably why it's a duel journey in the ST. We had the journey that lead to the Dark Side, the journey that lead to the Light Side now we have two more journey's.

The aspect that this does fit for JJ is that it is something he did in the set-up for LOST in terms of Jacob, the Man in Black/Smoke Monster and the power of the island.

yassir.khan and Xael like this.
  7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That's fake news! It's been established that Ep. 9 will be a rehash of Ep. 10, because JJ's using time travel, again.

8. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015

I bet Chris Pine is Rey's father :rolleyes:

yassir.khan likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I heard she's the love child of Uhura and Emo Spock. :)

yassir.khan likes this.
  10. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015

Disney and their SJW agenda of interspecies couples.... SAD

11. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Colin Trevorrow was singing the same song.

Colin Trevorrow, former director and writer of Star Wars: Episode IX: “A story must evolve or perish, and Rian [Johnson] and I are working closely together to make sure our stories build off of each other and continue to evolve and take us to new places, and I think that’s what the fans expect and what they want.” (January 11, 2016)

Colin Trevorrow: “By the time we get to Episode IX, I look at that movie as one movie, as three movies, as six movies, and as nine movies. It’s something that needs to honor a story that has been told over a period of 40 years.” “I don’t want to ignore any of it, and I respect all of it. It’s something I think the fan base is going to embrace.” (January 12, 2016)

Colin Trevorrow: “[I’m thinking about Episode IX] in the context of three films, six films, nine films, and one film. It’s a lot.” (March 30, 2017)

ewoksimon likes this.
  12. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    "Don't give in to indifference. That leads to the Neutral Side of the Force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  14. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, we saw Coruscant and Mustafar in R1. So...

It’ll be interesting to see how they end the trilogy of trilogies.

No problem mentioning the weak points of the PT. I’m a huge 007 fan and that franchise has been inconsistent. And the OT and ST have weak points as well.

15. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I don't believe him. I still think there will be a Starkiller Base II that will be able to shoot five laser beams and the whole thing will end with a big porg party.

Darth_Articulate and Xael like this.
  16. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    In VII we got the biggest Death Star ever (Starkiller base).
    In VIII we got the biggest Star Destroyer ever (The Supremacy).
    In IX we got the biggest ________ ever.

17. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015

The biggest Luke ever. Bigger Luke confirmed!

18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The biggest lens flare ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagnarTheGreat likes this.
  19. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Probably the biggest non-lightsaber Force duel ever. Luke vs. Snoke.

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  21. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    All this PT talk and not one mention of Plagieus yet? I'm impressed, internet fandom.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I believe the dark side creates imbalance. But if you mean Luke sees light and dark relativistically, then OK. Kenobi killing Maul (twice, kinda sorta) is in the light. Anakin killing Dooku and Vader twice in murderous rage against his former master is dark. But Vader killing Sidious is in the light.

That said you can’t reject the dark side in that it is always there, inside you and outside. This kind of acceptance, natural relations with people, are perhaps two things the pre-Luke Jedi lacked.

23. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    Biggest Jawa ever, I hope.

24. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Isn’t it obvious, since TFA is an ANH rehash and TLJ is clearly ripping off ESB?

A planet-sized Hutt.

Resistance officer: It’s another Jabba.
    Poe: I wish that were the case, Major. This was Jabba. This is Mega Jabba Prime.
    Finn: So, he’s big.
    Ackbar: How is it possible to power a Hutt of that size?
    DJ: It uses the power of the bun. As the hutt is charged, the galactic supply of sticky buns is drained until it disappears. Then he moves onto bacon-maple doughnuts, etc.
    Han’s force ghost: OK, how do we strangle him? There’s always a way to do that.
    Leia’s force ghost: Han’s right.

25. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Do we have any reliable sources yet for these E9 quotes?

Whether they're real or not, I do expect JJ to want to do something more original than E7. But one limitation he has is that this is E9, an episode that will mainly have to wrap up whatever Rian's set in motion in E8. So a lot of what JJ is able to do in 9 depends on Rian.

Of course, I'm thinking of newness in terms of story: plot and character, not merely the visual aesthetic of the film. News ships may be fun to look at, but it's unlikely they add any new depth to the story.