main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams to direct and co-write Star Wars: Episode IX (see warning on page 34 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by soul8luos, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Very excited. JJ understands, like Rian, that mystery is more important than explanation. He also values character and revealing character through image and action rather than monologue.

He's also been involved in some of the most innovative storytelling of the past 20 years, like Lost, Alias, and Fringe.

People who don't like him are lazy viewers who want everything spoon fed to them.

2. MJ-100

MJ-100 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2015
    Disappointed but not suprised. They clearly went for the safest choice but not necassarily the best. The more I watch TFA, the more problems I have with it.

JunoSynth and KSennia like this.
  3. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    On the nose is exactly what a general audience (i.e. not super fans who have all the movies memorized) want from a resurrected franchise, and a big turnout from the general audience is needed for a successful box office. Abrams knew that and the mountains of money TFA made confirms he took the right approach.

Eternal_Jedi and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Please tell me what about it was so stupid. Guarantee I can refute every criticism you will bring up. By the end of this conversation, it will be your favorite film and Zack Snyder will be your favorite director.

themoth likes this.
  5. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Q- Are lens flare jokes funny? Should lens flare discussion continue?

A- Yes they were funny, five years ago. Time to come up with something new. No, it should not continue. That would be really sad to have a repeat of this thread from TFA.

JJ might become the permanent director of all SW movies, because he is the only director they get along with. :)

titansupes and Trikuza23 like this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's drop the Zack Snyder talk. He has nothing to do with this.

7. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Please no Death Star again.

8. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Can I borrow your time machine when you're done with it?

9. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    In what regard? JJ's movies are very straightforward. I've never had to think too much from watching a JJ movie. Not saying that's a bad thing, but it's just not my taste.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Just like for Episode 7, IMO, it was his job to lose. It makes sense, really. They were never going to go for someone completely different. It was always going to be either him or RJ.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  11. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Has anyone made a joke about Rey's mom being named Martha yet?

12. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Thumbs up for this decission!

(Didn't he say after 7 he does not want to do another one because it's too time consuming?)

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  13. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012

Read my post again, more slowly.

14. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013

I wrote plenty (on the SHH forums and others) and seen every pro-argument for it under the sun-- They're all a waste of pixels. Like the movie itself was a waste time and resources.

15. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Not my first choice but seems like a safe decision.

Honestly many of the mystery boxes may be addressed in 8, so all JJ will have to do is finish the story started by RJ and not mess it up. He seems capable of doing this.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Darth Chiznuk I believe we have a direct violation of your previous post.

17. Vader0706

Vader0706 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2017
    As someone who loved TFA, this news really made my day.

I am glad LF have confidence in him after the enormous success of TFA. I am certain he will once more do an amazing job.

18. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
  19. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    Hahahahaha, oh this is glorious. Haters to the left. Please get all your complaints about mystery boxes, lens flares, remakes of Jedi, not enough new planets, etc out of your system now. This makes a ton of sense and I can't wait to see how JJ wraps up the trilogy now that he's no longer weighed down with resurrecting the entire franchise. Of course, I would LOVE it if the saga weren't so beholden to the trilogy model and would extend these actors and characters for a few more movies, but I'll take it.

Also, I'm wondering if this means certain behind-the-scenes fights just got lost. Sorry, Pablo. The original rumor on TFA was that JJ wanted a bigger seat at the table and Kathleen Kennedy was reluctant.

20. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
    with Snoke's ship the possibilities of another death star are practical inexistent,anyways I think KK is aware of the criticisms and will control.

Xael likes this.
  21. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I guess Brad Bird really put himself in the doghouse with Tomorrowland.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Just stay on topic everyone. Please. Thank you.

23. Darth Ewok

Darth Ewok Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 27, 2016
    Kathleen Kennedy is done in Hollywood. JJ is still getting death threats from how Lost ended and now you bring him back to wrap up the biggest franchise in cinema history. How could you not beg Rian or Lucas to come back?! This is all bad.

Dr_Cthulhu, 4ce and Jaxxon- like this.
  24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    JJ actually gave specific reasons why he brought back TFA in the way that he did. So no, I don't think so.

25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    My mistake - I actually haven't seen any of those 3 titles.