main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams to direct and co-write Star Wars: Episode IX (see warning on page 34 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by soul8luos, Sep 12, 2017.

1. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Yeah, bringing back Rian or JJ was the right call in this scenario, and I think either are better choices than Trevorrow. JJ already has a track record with another successful Star Wars movie and worked closely with Kasdan on it and, warts and all, makes the most sense.

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I'm not sure JJ is the right call. Has he ever written a satisfying conclusion to anything? Alias? Lost?

If Rian didn't want to do it, and Lucas was out of the question, I would have preferred somebody new like Brad Bird or Joe Johnston or GdT

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  3. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Besides, since the film was delayed, I'm pretty sure that they could have afforded to look for someone else entirely. It seems odd that Lucasfilm hasn't taken his track record for his endings, which always range from mediocre to utterly abysmal, into account when making this decision.

T-R- likes this.
  4. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    Not sure about Alias, but didn't he just wrote the pilot for Lost? I see that as the main proof that people have against JJ finishing things....

5. dr strangelove

dr strangelove Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    JJ was not really involved in Lost beyond the first season. I believe he helped come up with the overall concept of the show, and directed the pilot episode. That's it.
    Scathing criticisms of that show that are solely directed at JJ are vastly, vastly overstated.

6. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    This is absolutely ridiculous reasoning. You can criticize both Trevorrow for his moral failings and Abrams for his lack of creativity. I don't understand how it conveys a failure of the community to complain about two individuals who would have most likely (or in J.J.'s case, most likely will make) an installment in the saga that was mediocre at best.

rorow1 and Wrenegade like this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He wrote several episodes and was the producer and co-creator of the series. He wrote the shows outline and plot points, establishing its canon

8. yodarulzall

yodarulzall Jedi Grand Master star 1

Dec 1, 2000
    Disappointed. Abrams is a good director. Gets the audience involved, wondering about this and that. My problem with this is ending a story, and closing the plot points he gets the audience involved in end up getting unresolved. Episode 7 was ok for him, episode 9? I don't know, he needs to end a trilogy. Im not sure he is capable of this. Hoping for the best.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Leia being portrayed by someone else at this point might not be the worst thing in the world. Possibly someone close to Carrie and the family.

In all honesty, I think if someone could pull off the stunt, Foster would be one of very few. Also, if anyone can handle the sensitivity of the task, JJ would be him.

Almost a year ago, I was completely opposed to the idea of someone else portraying Leia in VIII. But I think moving forward in IX, it might serve to complete the story the way Carrie would have wanted it. I also think that there may be a reason the story is going to be re-written and this may be a big part of it.

guittarjedi likes this.
  10. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Agreed. It's a touchy subject, but I've always wanted to see Leia display force powers and have a really big amazing moment. I wouldn't be opposed to a recast.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  11. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015

Automatically making him bad at endings? Sorry if I fail to understand your logic here

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    He was responsible for the outline which included the ending. Like I said, what ending had he written or been involved in that was good? He's all about mystery boxes and not about tying up loose ends

yodarulzall likes this.
  13. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    JJ Abrams didn't know how a 6 years-long story that he wasn't even writing would end so he's clearly terrible at typing "The End" on his vintage typewriter.

ETA: BTW from what I recall the ending he discussed in RE: Lost was some survivors getting off the island and the series closing out on Jack's eye just as it opened on him. That was all. That's very vague and could be part of a great or poor conclusion.

14. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Nope that's exactly what he did.

15. KembaSkywalker

KembaSkywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 16, 2016
    Yikes. Think I'll sit this one out.

dogprivilege likes this.
  16. LadySithLord

LadySithLord Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I watched LOST for the characters and relationships but the story itself was always confusing.

17. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    JJ knows this trilogy needs finality. He will know how it will and should end. LOST was a mess and JJ pretty much left the project (the creative aspect) after the first season). Sure, it didn't have a plan, but KK will make sure JJ has a plan and they entrust him with it as they did with TFA.

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Please keep the Leia / Carrie discussion in the Leia / Carrie thread.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

They're all going to be sitting out for a while if they keep it up.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I actually wouldn't bet the farm that IX has a perfect finality to it or that it needs it. I honestly could see them set up an SST with Kylo killing Snoke and taking over.

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Will she? Rian said it was up to him to figure out TLJ, meaning there wasn't a plan for VIII until he made it. Even if she does, she also let JJ/LK design a plan for TFA. With all the firings that KK has done starting with MA all the way to CT, I'm not sure I'd trust her as a guiding force for a plan.

Besides, the question isn't whether they can come up with a plan, the question is whether it will be a good plan.

22. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    I find all those critics about rehash very ironic, considering this fanbase's most common expectations are :
    _ Rey being a Skywalker (rehashing the big reveal of Luke's heritage in ESB)
    _ Kylo being redeemed (rehashing Vader's arc in RotJ)
    _ Snoke being Plagueis (rehashing him into Sidious 0.5)

JJ is a talented director. Sure he did use the "nostalgia button" a lot in TFA, but that's exactly what the franchise needed at that time. He also knows Ep 9 needs to expand in a different direction : i completely trust him to find it.

Also, let's not forget that when JJ does take risks (not showing Luke, the Rathars), all he gets as a result is a ton of flakk. Mark my words, if RJ truly made TLJ risky & different, a lot of people here are bound to viscerally hate it, for that only reason (the "not Star Wars enough" catchphrase is bound to reappear).

23. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    That's part of reason I couldn't get into Westworld. The show takes the worst parts of Lost without the best parts of Lost so I gave up on it early on.

LadySithLord likes this.
  24. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    9 will end as a cliffhanger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Definitely not out of the realm of possibility, imo. At this point, I'm feeling very confident that we'll be seeing a SST at some point in the 2020's, continuing on Rey and Co.'s stories much in the same way that the Thrawn Trilogy did for the OT gang in the early 90's.