main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST J.J. Abrams to direct and co-write Star Wars: Episode IX (see warning on page 34 before posting)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by soul8luos, Sep 12, 2017.

1. SunnyNelson

SunnyNelson Jedi Master star 1

Dec 23, 2013
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I replied to you and then Chiznuk told me to knock it off, so I did. You were the one not staying on topic after the warning was given.

3. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Again, does anyone know what happened to Jack Thorne?

4. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Yup. Makes sense, judging by what the production cycle for Episode IX is. My guess is that Rian's terms would have been giving him until April 2018 or so before production started on IX. He'd almost definitely need a little bit of time off after finishing TLJ before being able to come back for IX, had he agreed to the gig.

I believe I already answered that. Seems like Thorne was only ever brought on as a last ditch effort to save Trevorrow's take on IX. Once that didn't work out, Lucasfilm moved on. Had Rian gotten the gig for IX, he almost definitely would have had the writing credit for IX instead.

5. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Nooooo!
    (not surprised)

Luke02 likes this.
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
  7. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013

EDIT: Aw heck-- you're a teenager/kid, aren't you?

Count Zero likes this.
  8. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    I'm guessing he was only ever brought on board to try and salvage Colin's script and was shown the door when they changed director.

9. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

That's a bit reductive, I would say. I, for instance, love JJ's work on Lost, Alias, Fringe... I even enjoyed his Star Trek reboot for what it was. At the same time, I didn't feel like he was a great fit for Star Wars. I enjoyed TFA (though I had some huge issues with it) quite a bit but have enjoyed it less as time goes on. I don't feel like the rewatchability is there as much as the other SW films and there are a lot of odd cracks that pull me out of the film. I do admit that it is a very fun film much of the time, but I feel that it is lacking a lot of JJ's better qualities.

Overall, I am really disappointed in this turn of events. Is it better than Trevorrow? Heck, yes. There are a lot less talented hands that could have been thrown onto the project so I am by no means saying I won't see it in the theatre or any such hyperbolic nonsense. But I am not expecting something that will knock my socks off, either.

Pro for me is that I feel that he handled Rey (in particular) and Finn *very* well so I expect that will continue. He also got how Lucas loved to give little nods to off-screen goings-on - things like Finn mentioning the Trillium massacre, etc...
    Con for me is that I don't feel that he handled the worldbuilding well at all. Jakku felt like a set most of the time (many of his set pieces did. There just wasn't much life to them - compare Jakku or Takodana to Jedha in Rogue One to see what I mean). Maz's castle was cool but half-baked. Don't get me started on being able to see Starkiller's beams from solar systems away. I am also worried about how he will handle Luke, personally, but that is something we can see down the line.

I suppose all of that is to say that I am a bit meh about the whole thing. Like I said, it could definitely be worse. But I am disappointed all the same.

10. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
  11. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    And right there JJ showed that he misunderstood Star Wars on a fundamental level. George always had the mindset of "why would I do something I've already done?" while making Star Wars. All 6 of them and TCW.

12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Ultimate resolution is what viewers have been taught to think they want. But as Lynch says, the most beautiful mystery is one that is never solved.

The viewer is forced into a more active, as opposed to consumer, role, and are meant to imagine deeper meaning themselves.

Mystery for the sake of mystery isn't a bad thing. It provokes the audience to imagine and think.

13. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm happy about the choice. Sure, it's the safe bet, but when you look at some of the issues they've had, you can't take any chances with wrapping up the ST.

Krueger likes this.
  14. Jim Ryalto

Jim Ryalto Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 21, 1998
    Is this satire?

15. JawaDog

JawaDog Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 2, 2016
    JJ did what he had to do with TFA, set the table. It totally brought me back into fandom after a long hiatus. I now am reading the comics, watching rebels, handing out in chat rooms, I caught up on Clone Wars, and I'm drawing Star Wars again. All because of TFA. People say it was rehash of ANH but to me it was a greatest hits album of the OT. Rian is going to take it to the next level and we will really see what JJ can do. I'm very optimistic.

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
  17. titansupes

Oct 30, 2013
    I agree with aspects of this, and other little filmmaker-y things that I won't go into right now (almost 1am here). Particularly the battles being a bit meh outside of the lightsaber duel.

KingKenobi and my kind of scum like this.
  18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    So I assume since JJ is a producer of TLJ, he's already seen 95% of it.

And he can start writing now.

19. Justrec

Justrec Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 13, 2014
    Mann I hope so.

20. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    23 years old, thank you for asking. What's the problem with respecting the rules? I'm a moderator elsewhere so I understand the value in doing so. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, rules are pretty selective in who they apply to over at the Hype. Seriously. Stick around here more, hopefully you'll gain a broader perspective.

21. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I wonder where this will leave Luke and Leia? Will Leia's legacy be maintained how RJ and CT had planned?

jaqen and ChildOfWinds like this.
  22. titansupes

Oct 30, 2013

Oof. You being a child would've explained some things.

I was typing the post you're referring to when the mod posted the warning-- hence not seeing the warning until after I'd posted and you stupidly tried to throw me under the bus. Grow up.

cameron.osborn and Count Zero like this.
  23. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Yeah, we're going to get another film with a desert planet in the opening act and a giant space station that needs to be blown up via an implausible weakness.

Seriously, facetiousness aside, let's not pretend that JJ Abrams was the first person to recycle stuff that came before. Even without going into how Star Wars was originally an amalgamation of fairy tails, Arthurian legend, Kurosawa movies, spaghetti westerns and old sci-fi serials (Contrary to popular belief, Star Wars didn't invent the opening crawl.), Star Wars has been cannibalising itself ever since Empire Strikes Back ended. Lest we forget, Lucas himself copped to repeating ANH in TPM.

24. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Death threats against Kennedy are just a ok with you though huh? That's pretty creepy to be honest.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Both of you need to knock it off now.