Discussion J.J. Abrams Turns Down VII

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode VII and Beyond (Archive)' started by BantuWind, Dec 26, 2012.

1. BantuWind Jedi Master

[IMG]

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2012/12/j-j-abrams-turns-down-star-wars-episode-vii/
  2. Joe Force Ghost

star 6
    LFL must not be used to being rejected by people when they ask them to join the cast of a Star Wars movie...
  3. Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Master

star 2
    Not at all surprised, I really like what JJ has done with Star Trek, but I had a feeling that would get in the way of him picking up the ball for Star Wars.
    Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  4. HL&S Magistrate Emeritus

star 6
    "..the next version of those things."

Nice.
  5. Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Master

star 2
    Yeah I picked up on that too. Sounds, and probably is a little facetious, considering it will be going up against Trek at some stage.
  6. TheBBP Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank God. Can you imagine the nerd rage should the director of the new Star Trek be chosen to take on Star Wars?
  7. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    Can you imagine the even greater nerd rage should the creator of Lost be chosen to take on Star Wars?
    windu4, Barriss_Coffee and kainee like this.
  8. Roberto Calrissian Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I actually like JJ'S new Star Trek
  9. Team Padme Force Ghost

star 4
    Not surprised, he should just do Star Trek.
  10. Lee_ Force Ghost

star 4
    The question is, who will it be? Hopefully, we find out in January.
  11. TheRevanchist Jedi Master

star 2
    The producer of Lost and Alias? Thanks, but no thanks.
  12. General Immodet Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I loved Lost, but I do not know whether he would be the right guy to direct a SW movie.
  13. Boxster Force Ghost

star 1
    He turned down the next trilogy to direct a new trilogy based on KOTOR.:D
  14. ezekiel22x Chosen One

star 4
    He should've just been honest and said he's already doing his OT pastiche. Or that he already did it and is moving on to superheroes, judging by the trailer for Star Trek alongside the Dark Knight.
    Last edited by ezekiel22x, Dec 27, 2012
    Han Shot First likes this.
  15. Jobertus Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Nothing wrong with 'LOST' folks, it's a great show, and don't get confused, Abrams had little to do with the series beyond the pilot episode. Hope whoever is the director of Episode VII turns out to be a good choice.
    DarthBoba likes this.
  16. Dranem Jedi Master

star 1
    Not surprised. The new Star Trek was more like Star Wars anyway, probably the reason I liked it more than most of the previous films. It basically ripped off A New Hope and had a lot of lens flares. Good stuff though.
    Han Shot First likes this.
  17. Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost

star 4
  18. Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master

star 2
    Loyalty of Star Wars BS , like he comprehends any true loyalty to film . He has just enough sense in his brain to realize that it's too far to do a "alternate universe" of Star Wars and Star Trek. He's not entirely retarded.
    TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  19. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm somewhat glad to hear he won't be doing it. He had a very understandable argument, too.
    To me it feels like he's trying a bit too hard to make things look flashy.
    Last edited by Billy_Dee_Binks, Dec 27, 2012
    Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  20. The-Eternal-Hero Force Ghost

star 4
    Good, we'll actually get to see what's on screen!!!
    LawJedi and -NaTaLie- like this.
  21. kainee Jedi Master

star 1
    Yes, I am really glad that Star Wars and our eyes will be saved from the fate of being lens flared to death.

I am a bit discomfited by the implications that Lucasfilm even approached Abrams to direct though and I'm hoping he was just exaggerating an idle question... Although, it begs the question of whether or not a big name director is needed or if Episode VII is better off with a lesser known director? I ask because before Lord of the Rings, Peter Jackson's best known film was a slasher and before the Spider-Man franchise, Sam Raimi was best known for the Evil Dead and not for blockbusters. But those were gambles that paid off.
    JainaSoloYJK and Bazinga'd like this.
  22. Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master

star 2
    Actually , I agree the only thing I could hate about Star Wars if he directed it would be lens flares and

(F)or(T) (L)or(R)ash like we see in the actual direction of Star Trek. There is no mention of alternative universe any where.
    Last edited by Yodahasgreenfeet, Dec 27, 2012
  23. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    As much as I love JJ and Lost. I think him declining was the right call.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk
  24. Bazinga'd SWC/PT/ Spinoff Manager -Destroyer of Spam

Manager
    star 5
    I think Kainee's later point is much more important that the fact that JJ claims he turned down LFL/Disney. I think if Episode VII was being made without the Disney imprint, the name and fame of the director would be much less important. However, Disney is one of those corporations where status is everything, and having an en en vogue director is so much more important. Thus, I hope Disney does not sacrifice the right director for a more famous one who may not be the best fit.
  25. Redfivee Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I hope its Matthew Vaughn,he's a much better Director then Abrams and has made better movies IMO.