main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends [J/J]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Thrawn McEwok, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    [Just what the title says - because there's not enough, these days... :cool:]

?Time for a quick drink with an old friend, Commodore??

She whirls on her heels, caught by the playful edge to the worlds, the familiar-forgotten voice.

An Imperial General is leaning against the bulkhead ? a tall man, arms folded across his broad chest.

Smiling at her.

?Jag,? she says, and she finds she?s smiling too.

?I?m commanding the fighter group with the Imperial taskforce,? he explains, as though it?s the most natural thing in the world. ?And I owe you thanks? and apologies.?

He dips his head, something between a blush and a bow.

?What for?? She looks up at him, surprised ? and a little worried. He has that faint, roguish grin on his face again.

?You? got us thrown out of the Ascendancy.? That smile lingers. ?My parents relocated to Imperial space, and Pellaeon took me back into the Fleet.? He adjusts his belt, self-consciously. ?I? feel comfortable again, in a way I haven?t, since??

He trails off, shrugs, then lifts his eyes again ? and suddenly, everything?s different. His eyes are green, sharp, bright, catching and holding her.

Predator and prey, she thinks. We?ll see about that....

?Maybe later,? she shrugs. ?I was just going to eat.? Part of her wants to hurt him, to punish him for the hurt he?s caused her. Part of her also knows that he?d enjoy that, accept it, and wants to find a way to really wrench him.

She makes to give him a formal nod of farewell.

?That?s great,? he says. ?I hope you?re dining alone.?

?What?s that supposed to mean!?? The fury is that she can?t deny it.

?Only that I know this place, and I think you?d like it, too.?

His smile becomes a grin. He?s outmanoeuvred her. Got her where he wants her.

And a part of her is warming to him ? starting to melt.

?Seriously. You?d like it.?

?Oh, why not?? she shrugs. ?But I warn you, Jagged ? whatever we once had died a long time ago. Just good friends.?

?Absolutely, Jaina,? he says, but his eyes look far away past her, and she thinks she can see the slightest hint of the hidden hurt he keeps locked away inside. ?I?m sorry that you thought otherwise.?

?That?s a lie, flyboy,? she says, elbowing him playfully. ?I want to hurt you ? I want to know I?ve hurt you. Comprende, Colonel Fel??

?I hear you, Commodore,? he nods ? not bothering to correct her about his rank.

She realises that they?re already walking away together ? walking in step, and their shared rhythm has nothing to do with military discipline.

?It?s a nice restaurant,? he reassures her. ?You?ll like it.?

Neither of them is quite sure what it is that happens that night, or exactly when.

Perhaps the truth is that real intimacy ? the intimacy of former wing-mates and old friends ? can only be denied, never truly forgotten.

The restaurant is a Yuuzhan Vong place, with pastel-blue walls and big windows looking out at the blur of the city night.

The windows are ringed by sinuous surrounds of green-and-brown foliage, laden with live fruits that the servers pluck for some of the speciality dishes.

The food is delicious.

Delicate seafood parcels in rice-paper and pastry, just the right balance of melting softness and crunchy solidity.

Fun to eat. They grin at each other.

They share a bottle of wine ? green, pungent and shimmering in the mouth. The lingering tastes remind her of lychees and woodsmoke, and a holiday long ago, on a long strand of wind-smoothed sand beside the sea.

Strips of meat, some in batter and sticky sauces, some simply sealed in salts and juices ? dark, pale and golden, a rainbow of flavours.

And all through the meal, plump steamed dumplings arrive, served with a shallow dipping bowl of black malt sauce that offsets them perfectly.

It?s only over the tea and fritters at the end that she realises how much fun they?ve had. They?ve talked about politics, old friends, news and gossip. What they?ve read, and what?s new on the holonet.

She?s not sure if

2. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    *happy grin*

[back when I got some work done and need a break [face_whistling] ]

- Mookiee

3. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Aww...

Thought it was going to be the other J/J :p

4. Elena

Elena Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2003
    *mumbles under breath, rubbing eyes*

Well, you're cheerful this morning. *sly grin* I wonder if I should be happy you're back to your usual infuriating self?

*wonders if ewok's love life has suddenly picked up*

Elena

5. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Very interesting...

the Yuuzhan Vong food sounded....korean.....bits of seafood, wrapped in rice paper, strips of meat and sauces, steamed dumpling. It all has a distinctly oriental feel to me in how its described. Which is beautiful and exotic and fun...as long as you're not my wife who (much to my dismay and horror) tends to not like oriental...:p

Then just the whole relationship between the two of them is like an old glove. One that neither is sure they want to wear, but which they are both unable to resist putting on.

beautiful and great job!

6. jasa

jasa Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2005
  7. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Very sweet, Thrawn. Romantic and well-written. Not the biggest J/J fan, but you make it work.

8. miranda82

miranda82 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 16, 2004
    Great post! :D

9. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    *grins back at*

[You sure you don't just want to reply now? :p]

I thought you might. Consider it an in-joke at your expense...? :p

[face_laugh] Actually, I've had this ready to post for several days... :p

*is amused by your tousled early-morning thoughts*

:eek: :_| Horror! [face_laugh]

But... I guess that's true love! :)

The 'fic was actually inspired a real-life conversation about oriental food - but then again, the Yuuzhan Vong themselves were inspired by real-life oriental food, so I suppose it kinda fits! :p

I could have made the meal more "Vongy" (and originally, it was actually going to be Sullustan); but the sense of familiarity mingled with foreigness seemed appropriate to the 'fic, even if it was drawing on real-world experience, so I left it as it was...

:D Thanks - and that's a great analogy - see above for my curiously appropriate comments in response to you on the familiarity/foreignness thing... I like the way that your reply implied and indicated the connection that was entirely implicit in the 'fic!

:cool: :p

Now, that's an understatement, considering your loyalty to J/Z... [face_blush] Thank you! :cool:

Thanks - glad you liked it! :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok

10. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    Wollknäuel:

*grins back at*

*grins at slyly*

[You sure you don't just want to reply now? :p]

think now is a good time ;) :D

An Imperial General is leaning against the bulkhead ? a tall man, arms folded across his broad chest.

awww [face_love] :D [face_dancing]

?I?m commanding the fighter group with the Imperial taskforce,? he explains, as though it?s the most natural thing in the world. ?And I owe you thanks? and apologies.?

oh?

?You? got us thrown out of the Ascendancy.? That smile lingers. ?My parents relocated to Imperial space, and Pellaeon took me back into the Fleet.? He adjusts his belt, self-consciously. ?I? feel comfortable again, in a way I haven?t, since??

at times from something bad can turn out something good :D

Predator and prey, she thinks. We?ll see about that....

who is hunting whom? [face_mischief] :p

?That?s great,? he says. ?I hope you?re dining alone.?

[face_laugh] that can also backfire [face_laugh]

?Only that I know this place, and I think you?d like it, too.?

*lol*

?Oh, why not?? she shrugs. ?But I warn you, Jagged ? whatever we once had died a long time ago. Just good friends.?

suuure ... would she be Pinoccio her nose would be growing right now :p

She realises that they?re already walking away together ? walking in step, and their shared rhythm has nothing to do with military discipline.

hehe :D

?It?s a nice restaurant,? he reassures her. ?You?ll like it.?

he said that already :p ;)

The restaurant is a Yuuzhan Vong place, with pastel-blue walls and big windows looking out at the blur of the city night.

oh?

They share a bottle of wine ? green, pungent and shimmering in the mouth. The lingering tastes remind her of lychees and woodsmoke, and a holiday long ago, on a long strand of wind-smoothed sand beside the sea.

awww? so great

Jag pays, making a joke of the fact her mother shot him down at Tenupe.

nice to see that he can joke about it

?Just a goodbye kiss.?

Pinoccio [face_thinking]

?I won?t make the first move to leave, if you don?t.?

*lol*

?We?d be very stupid if we did anything else.?

?Let us be stupid?? :p ;) [face_mischief]

?You know, Jag,? she says, looping her arms around his neck and nuzzling his lips. ?I need some exercise to burn off that delicious supper.?

Hah!

?Before then,? she answers, nudging him backwards, up against her door. ?You, me, now.?

she is very direct ... but she knows what she wants :D

And he can say no more.

:D

Awww... you are such a romantic :D
    That?s so perfect, so sweet

=D=

~ Mags ~

11. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    I liked the title :) It was a great fic!

12. padawanlost

padawanlost Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2006
    This gave me a big :D.

There is definitely a shortage of happy [J/J] moments right now. Thanks for making it your mission to correct that.

[face_love]'em, hope there's more to come.

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Even before the meal, they both seem to be trying to hard to put the past behind them. They reek of intimacy in just they're casual talk. [face_mischief]

I'd really just eaten, but the meal you describe had my mouth watering as though I could taste the variety of flavors.

Somehow that meal was entirely seductive... the rest of the post, well just left me breathless. [face_love] [face_love]

14. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    McEwok, I feel fatter than a Hutt after what I've just eaten, but you still make me feel hungry.

And as I was reading I was thinking of which other "J" could've been paired up with Jag as he appeared first.

I can see you keep surprising me ;)

15. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    OH! How this made me long for the days of that da**ed red dress and evasive manuevers and what might have been! [face_love]

You just gave me hope, Ewok.

Thanks a lot. [face_plain]

I was about over them, you know.o_O

On to the good stuff. I loved, loved, loved the purely sensual feel of everything in this piece. Very tactile ...and tasty. It was superb and I will recommend it others as such. Thanks!

Z

16. Jessoass

Jessoass Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2005
    Loved it!!:)

Loved the interaction between them just loved it!!!

Good Job!! =D=

Jess

17. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    First things first? you mention Jag is a General, and then Jaina calls him a Colonel? :confused:

Anyways, on to the rest.

Well, well, well? Jag and Jaina are in the same room and Jag has that little smile on his face again?

Ah, the pain. Perhaps you are seeing it, just not with your eyes, eh?

And a Yuuzhan Vong restaurant? so I'm guessing this is a time when the Vong aren't so? disliked. ;)

The catching up on old times, with someone who you can really talk with ? not just a regular friend.

Their good 'ole verbal sparring?

Great piece, McE. :D

KT

18. -Yun-Harla-

-Yun-Harla- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 2, 2006
    Amazing! I just loved it, especially when Jaina decides to be direct at last - "You. Me. Now!" That line was PRICELESS! [face_love][face_love][face_love] Because Jag is just a darling and he and Jaina totally deserve one another! Darn to LucasFilm for not putting in something like this!

19. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    *looks worried* [face_worried] :p

think now is a good time ;) :D

Yay! :D

at times from something bad can turn out something good :D

Always! :cool:

who is hunting whom? [face_mischief] :p

[face_whistling]

[face_laugh] that can also backfire [face_laugh]

Jag is an admirer of Grand Admiral Thrawn... [face_thinking]

?Let us be stupid?? :p ;) [face_mischief]

I'll have to remember that line and use it some day... :D :cool:

Awww... you are such a romantic :D
    That?s so perfect, so sweet

[face_blush] Glad you enjoyed it! :D

:D Thanks for the reply! :)

:D I'm trying to write more J/J again, yes... so I'm glad it's making you smile! :cool:

It's Jaina and Jag. They can't not have that effect on each other!!

Yes, they can try to deny it (as can certain pro'fic authors :p ;))... but what happens in those circumstances is only a reminder of just how well they work together... :D

:eek: [face_blush] Wow. You seem to have enjoyed the 'fic a lot! High praise indeed!

:p Jysella? [face_thinking] Well, she is half-Terrik... it's an interesting idea.

But she's a bit young... :p

Seriously; Jaina/Jag: there can be no substitute! :D

Star Wars is about hope, among other things. I'm amused that I reminded you... :p

And thank you for the resposne! :D

:D Thanks for the reply!! [face_dancing]

Umm... I think you were so busy being surprised you missed the explanation in the next line:

?That?s a lie, flyboy,? she says, elbowing him playfully. ?I want to hurt you ? I want to [i]know[/i] I?ve hurt you. [i]Comprende[/i], Colonel Fel??

?I hear you, Commodore,? he nods ? not bothering to correct her about his rank.[hr][/blockquote]

That said, I think that the reason she said "Colonel Fel" was simply that that was what I wrote - it's what I think of Jaina as thinking of him as...

[quote=Killik_Twilight]Anyways, on to the rest.

Well, well, well? Jag and Jaina are in the same room and Jag has that little smile on his face again?

Ah, the pain. Perhaps you [i]are[/i] seeing it, just not with your eyes, eh?

And a Yuuzhan Vong restaurant? so I'm guessing this is a time when the Vong aren't so? disliked. ;)

The catching up on old times, with someone who you can really [i]talk[/i] with ? not just a regular friend.

Their good 'ole verbal sparring?

Grea

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Just reread this. Man, you really should be writing for Lucasarts. Although I remain a diehard J/Z fan and will remain so, you write great J/J, Thrawn.

21. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    High praise... for the second time! :eek: :D [face_blush]

And as I've said before, I'm pretty sure LFL/DelRey know where to find me...

... but in all honesty, you're too kind. And I'm not that great with deadlines... :p

- The Imperial Ewok

22. ruinevil

ruinevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    So... this isn't Kyp... masquerading as Jag?

23. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Aye the things we guys put up with for true love....[face_laugh]

Aye it kinda fits, and truthfully, I don't think it would have worked quite as well, if the meal had been more "Vongy". On second thought, maybe it would've, after all the only scene I can remember where they are eating, it's basically a hibachi grill....the guy grabs a live animal, quickly cleans it and then tosses it onto the grill. A dinner and a show... !!!oh. Finally some plot bunny stew for the A/T Challenge...[face_laugh]

Thanks! And when discussing those two, you have to delve intot he familiarity/foreigness dichotomy. After all, that is Jag to Jaina. He is Corellian with all the intendent disregard for odds an what not (familiar), yet he was raised among the Chiss and has accepted their mores and values as his own (foreign). I think that dichotomy attracts Jaina, as she has someone with similar traits to her father, yet is exotic and fun for her at the same time...

24. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Heh. I'll look closer next time. ;)

Ah? sort of like someone who first met another person as 'such-and-such' and always thinks of them that way even if they've moved on? I see.

Hehe. You could say that. Just depends on the timeframe. :p

I'd hope so. If not we're all in trouble.

Heh.

KT

25. TheSheryl

TheSheryl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2004
    That was just absolutely perfect.

Just a little J/J.

That's all I needed.

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.