1. Attention Guest.

This region will undergo restructuring. For more information regarding this process, please visit this thread

J.K. Rowling Outs Hogwarts Character...

Discussion in 'Rocky Mount, NC' started by Lodreh, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lodreh Force Ghost

star 4
    Turns out Dumbledore is Gay! Get the full details in the news articles below...

here
    and
    here

Lod-Reh SaJon ~
    "If you seek knowledge and understanding look to the Force,
    If you seek pain and suffering look no further than me."
  2. RipRoar Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't think this adds to the story or takes anything away because there simply isn't any hint of it in the books. It just sounds like an afterthought - unlike the additional information added to the epilogue after the book came out.

Had this come after book 1 or any other book before the end or in the 7th book - it would have had an effect - good, bad or indifferent no matter what side of the fence your on. But what we have is an author who never clues you in (WHEN SHE IS NORTORIOUSLY FAMOUS FOR DOING THE EXACT THING with everything else). I don't see it as cannon since it doesn't add to the story or take away. This is equivalent to watching Star Wars Episode III (The conclusion of the 30 year adventure of Anakin's journey) and George coming out and saying OBIWAN was gay! I know I know he is dead just like Dumbledore but he was smitten with SO AND SO. It just doesn't work as a literary tool AFTER THE FACT unless there will be short stories to fill in the blanks and tell the backstory.

JUST MY TWO CENTS and this has nothing to do with my opinion on being gay or not (irrelevent at this point).

3. Lodreh Force Ghost

star 4
    I thought the same way... if it was the original intent of the character and the author was censored then it makes for a well rounded character that happens to be gay. If it is an after thought... as I intially assumed... it comes off as a cheap publicity stunt just for another 15 minutes of Lime Light and extra green.

I spoke briefly with Entropy about this and he can see a couple of hints in the books that I missed... however these hints are very subtle and very unlike so many of her other hints... i.e. Dumbledore's "flashy clothes"... no meaningful relationships with women... even though he was a great wizard he never "settled down". I can see it, when it's pointed out but it never occured to me that he was gay during the intial ( or fifth ) readings.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.