main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph TERF Chronicles: J. K. Rowling writing a new book!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Could someone remind me why I should give a **** about this groundbreaking news? The only shocker is that she didn't tap the well and decide to make another HP book.

2. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    (OK, I'm about to (carbon)date myself) Ever hear someone gush about how Maneudo, Justin Bieber, Madonna, or The Backstreet Boys are like, the best band ever?
    And, in short, they are not?
    In fact, the infatuation is purely juvenile drivel?
    And yet it is being touted to the skies?

If not, count yourself lucky.

Otherwise, Yeah.
    I'll take Robert Asprin's Myth Adventure series 30 times over JKR. More timely. More topical. More funny. Better fantasy. Doesn't take itself seriously or have delusions of literary greatness. Pretty much unsung series.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's fine... do that, and try not to push your tastes onto others.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    A Casual Vacancy should be out in just a few weeks.

5. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Has there been an excerpt released anywhere?

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    What do you mean "delusions?" Harry Potter is great story.

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Harry Potter is better-than-average, but still pretty generic brit kid-lit.
    Ever notice that everyone was complaining that "John Carter of Mars" was just a copy of everything that ____ has done, and nothing but a series of tropes? Because JCoM was written 100 years Before those other movies came out. In fact, it was because of JCoM that those tropes came into existence? If not, count yourself lucky.
    Out of curiosity, did the Dursleys ever develop any depth or motivations for their hatred and bullying, or were they pretty much just the same straw-men petty villains that they were in book 1?

Bacon164 likes this.
  8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Yes, they did.

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    And the reason for their abuse of Harry was??? (aside from obviously not in the movies).

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Petunia's issues with Lily being a witch and her not?

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    What, all of them were petty and malicious because the mother had sibling rivalry issues? That seems a bit... naf.

12. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    That accounts for Petunia, yes. As time passed though it was clear she would never have denied Harry a home with them (their last moments together suggest a degree of understanding). Vernon never wanted Harry in the first place. He would've kicked Harry out had Petunia not been there. Dudley... Dudders was a product of his parents. We're not dealing with a vast number of people here. Just two massively insecure parents and one simpleton of a son.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    So, Petunia is the only one with a trace of depth. Vernon and Dudley remain the straw-men that they always had been. Kinda what I figured.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Don't you remember Dudley's big moment in Deathly Hallows?

And Rowling has said Vernon Dursley was the character she despised the most, the ordinary and common form of... maybe evil is too strong a word, but you know what I mean.

15. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    In a word, no--I don't remember anything significant about Dudley. In effect, he was the most realistic villain, in that he was evil because he was the spoiled brat older sibling type, so at least he had a motivation that made sense and stayed within his means, and did everything within his means.

Silly question: yahoo news had something about Daniel Radcliff shocking Rowling. It was one of those annoying eyecatches I caught a brief glance of, but I had clicked off before I could read more. What was this about?

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't know.

But about Dudley in Deathly Hallows... he stood up for Harry, and became his friend. Rowling said that they even continued to have a relationship, getting together for the holidays and stuff. It was revealed that the Dementor experience revealed to Dudley what he really was... a bully... and he repented and became a changed man.

Lady_Skywalker87 and Rew like this.
  17. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Also, I think Petunia may have had little crush on James...judging on how she spied on them...as Vernon, in my eyes represents the people hate and fear what they don't understand... there's a lot of that in the world.

As for Jo's new book, I'm excited! She may not be the greatest writer but, a brilliant story teller none the less.

18. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Newspapers were full of comments about the upcoming book (it's out Sep 27 here in the UK). I doubt I'll get it in HC as the synopses I read didn't really appeal to me.

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    This comes out today! I think I shall go out and get my copy.

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, she's been on the news here. I'm gonna pass on the HC unless it appeals after a thumbthrough when I'm in town next week.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Rowlings writes great people. That was the real strength of the HP books. Aside from magical powers, the main characters mostly seemed very authentic to me. But the reviews of Casual Vacancy are not good.

That seems to be the emerging consensus. I'm sure it will sell very well though.

22. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    That's what I was afraid of when I read the synopses in the papers. My first reaction was 'who cares?'.

23. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Just started- 13 pages in. This is definitely not Harry Potter. One character meditated at length about her breasts and Rowling dropped the F-bomb already.

edit 2: several more F-bombs and a C-word. :p

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This is why people read Game of Thrones. F-bomb. C-word. And dragons.

Mar17swgirl and RC-1991 like this.
  25. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    For me, the appeal of the Harry Potter books was, aside from the general universe, how intricately plotted they were--seemingly innocuous sentences in the early books could turn out to be crucial plot details. Aside from that, they were thematically empty and the prose pedestrian. I wouldn't expect much of a one-off story set in the real world from Rowling. I'll probably read it eventually, but I'm certainly not going to pay $30 for the privilege to do so.