main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JA #14 (Spoilers!!!)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Pipes, Jul 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    I reall think that Qui-gon has been way to distracted by Tahl, Will someone please Point him in the direction of a cold shower? :)
    But seriously, he has been so busy chasing Thal around like some love sick eight year hold boy, that he has been ignoring one of the most important things in his life, Like oh, I don't know....HIS OWN APPRENTICE!
    If he does not get his head on straight Obi-wan is going to get hurt, either physically or emotionally, altought he way things are going right know it could be a mix of both...

2. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    "If he does not get his head on straight Obi-wan is going to get hurt, either physically or emotionally, altought he way things are going right know it could be a mix of both... "

Well, that could make interesting reading...::eek:fficial obi-torture:: LOL!! I just hope we don't get some corny thing that makes Obi-Wan look like an ingrate. You know Qui-Gon is has to sacrifice Tahl for Obi-Wan or something like that. I'd much rather have an Obi-Wan gets hurt physically/emotionally angle going on.

Because when you think about it during a good number of these books what we have is Obi-Wan having to overcome Xanatos' influence on Qui-Gon. Not to mention the actual danger Xanatos' persona vendetta put them in. Then a part of the rest has been spent with Qui-Gon putting his interest in Tahl above his padawan. Then we get into the future and TPM and Qui-Gon ditched Obi-Wan in front of the whole council for Anakin, ready or not, without so much as a warning.

That cannot be good for a person's self-esteem. It's like "Just keep me around until someone more interesting comes along then it's bye bye Obi-Wan". That would go along way to explaining a lot of things in TPM and perhaps even the Prequels in general.

3. Darth_Top_Hat

Darth_Top_Hat Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2001
    I can see why there were problems with romance and marriage for the Jedi. Honey I'll be home in a few days hopefully, unless it's more, and of course I may have to fight off a bunch of others first. Doesn't make for a good foundation for relationships. I think Jedi have to give up much, and they realize this.
    As for the EU, everything after Anakin and Luke is changed for the Jedi. Things are vastly different, many of the old ways are gone.

on another topic, what about the theme of water? In Deceptions, there is a comment about Yoda not going into the Room of Fountains or something. What does it mean?

4. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    LOL! Official Obi-torture sounds gooooood :D Physical torture anyway... [face_devil] hehe, he gets a lot of emotional torture in the books already... From the beginning when he had to almost die to get Qui to accept him, to Cerasi and the whole Melida/Daan thing, to Bruck and the trial, to watching his Master get abducted, to the latest thing between Qui and Tahl... Poor Obi! It just never ends... [face_mischief]

Hmmm, the theme of water? I don't recall that line about Yoda actually; I'll hafta go look again... Water is usually symbolic for something along the lines of life, rebirth, or forgiveness isn't it? Ahhh, it's been too long since my World Religions course... [face_blush]

5. The Cat

The Cat Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Water is often symbolic of uncertainty and elusiveness, but the line with Yoda avoiding the Room of 1,000 Fountains has to do with him missing Qui-Gon; they used to hang out together there.

6. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    It should be interesting to see how QG and Tahl handle their romance. What with Obi-wan and Bant being third and fourth wheels...Poor Bant now she's definitely going to feel neglected from Tahl's life what with she and QG's taking time to smooch after leaving Bant behind at the temple again.

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Fascinating discussion, people, but I still don't know whether I should buy the book or not. Probably not. If Obi-Wan is relegated to the role of supporting character, then I would feel cheated.

naw ibo, have you ever voiced your opinions on a book review over at amazon.com or some other place where Jude Watson might be likely to see it? I'd love to hear what she has to say about your very good points.

8. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    The "problem," Jane Jinn is that once you get involved in a book series it's hard to ignore it, even if the plot lines have their ups and downs. You need to read it, if nothing else to see how Jude Watson's gonna handle the angst.

She's definitely veered from Obi-Wan as the focus of the JA books; however, it doesn't take a Jedi to foresee that Tahl will become one with the Force here shortly <g>. She's like the anonymous actor in the red uniform in Star Trek -- you just knew he'd never last the hour....

I am hoping that this will mean that Obi-Wan lends a credible shoulder for Qui-Gon to cry on, as it were, in #15 and #16. There's real opportunity for the author to focus on the powerful lessons of grief and letting go, and how a friend -- even if he is a Jedi apprentice -- can help you with that.

The series needs to get back to what QG and OB1 are doing together, IMHO. The last time I looked it wasn't the "Jedi Master" series, but "Jedi Apprentice."

9. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Jane Jinn, hi!

Actually I did briefly, I think it was on B&N's site. I can't remember what name I used, I think I was just "a reader". But I do know that after I voiced it, quite a few other people wrote and agreed with me. LOL! :)

Now whether Ms Watson would or not is another story. :D She's talented and I don't think for a minute I could do what she does, especially not month after month. It isn't like I mind getting insight into Qui-Gon. I don't at all. But I do mind when a series called Jedi Apprentice gives you more insight into the Jedi Master than the Jedi Apprentice and too many of the JA Books, I feel, have done that.

10. Jedi-Faith

Dec 21, 2000
    I actually don't mind the focus on Qui-Gon in JA14 as much as I did in some of the previous books (JA4 comes to mind, but it's been so long, I can't really remember it well anymore...). There's a lot of interesting stuff that 14 could lead to in 15 and 16...

I still don't like the idea of Tahl dying though, because it's just too predictable! I want to see the "surprising" part about the arc that Jude Watson talked about in that Insider article...

11. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    Maybe this is all part of some great plane that Jude watson has. She will trick us all into believing that Tahl will die in the net book and then she won't die giving us a really big surprise ending, proably not though....Only time will tell :)

12. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    What happens to Siri?

I was hoping Obi wan and her got together!

The review for the latest book was not encouraging!

13. Jedi-Faith

Dec 21, 2000
    Siri? Thus far, she hasn't shown up in the latest story arc. I haven't read Jedi Quest yet; $17 is a little too high for me...

14. kyrack

kyrack Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 1999
    Siri is in Jedi Quest, and to me it seemed there were subtle hints of a past attraction between her and Obi-Wan.

15. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    The sky is Falling!
    Or something close to that anyways....
    If anybody has bben in the books section they will see that The Jedi apprentice series is going to End after the 18th Book!
    I am so sad right now....But don't worry too much, I have also heard that there will be a follow-up series that possibly wil involve the apprenticeship of Ani to Obi, I sure hope so...

16. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Ugh! I hate Siri. She's so arrogant and self centered. I would rather see Obi-Wan alone forever. Am I the only one to wish Jedi remain celebate as a committment to the force? How can they remain committed to the force if they are all goo-goo over somebody else? See how Qui-Gon loses his connection to the force when he identifies his feelings for Tahl? Also he never says he loves Tahl either, just that he and Tahl will step together along the same path, whatever that means. Loved J.A. #14. Anyone out here get # 15 yet? Absoulutely adore JA. Hope they are wrong about #18 being the last. I have no desire to read about Anakin Skywalker at any point in his lifetime. As I kept whispering to my boyfriend during EP I, "Kill him now while he is small and we won't have to sit through the next two movies!"

17. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    "I would rather see Obi-Wan alone forever. Am I the only one to wish Jedi remain celebate as a committment to the force? "

Ilsbeth, I do too. I don't have any problem with that.

And I just read Jedi Quest and all I've seen between Obi and Siri (although knowing how Watson works you know next to Siri's name in her character bible she has "Luuuuvvvv Interest") is a friendship. Two people who grew up together and were good friends. They seem more like siblings at this point. Personally I wish it would stay that way.

It would be nice to get that aspect of it. I'm sure that is how they are raised in the Temple. It's like they are adopted into the same family--the Jedi family. They would probably be raised with the general idea that they are brothers and sisters. Besides I think as an adult Obi-Wan is so concentrated on training Anakin and on his guilt at not being able to save Qui-Gon, and being the best Jedi he could be he wouldn't have time for anything else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.