main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JA#16*Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cow_Girl, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    Hi Everybody.
    Today i finally found JA#16, I have not ahd a chance to read it yet, because I have to go to work soon. But on the bright side I can put some things straight about the cover. To put it lightly the cover is kind of scary. Obi-wan is in the background but has magically aged like 10 years and has very,very creepy eyes and it alos looks nothing like what he been shown on previous covers, Mace windu is off to one side and does appear in the story according to the backside of the book, and of course the very,very scary looking qui-gon is the centre.

I will post again when I have had a chance to actually read the book :)

Later
    CG

2. Jedi-Faith

Jedi-Faith Jedi Master star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    Where did you find it??!?!?!? :D I'm going to look for it later today...

3. Jenn-Kenobi

Jenn-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2001
    Yeah, I am with Faith. WHERE IS IT????!!

4. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    These books tend to start showing up in stores around the middle of the month. Might want to check around the 15th.

5. Jedi-Faith

Dec 21, 2000
    I found the book on Sunday after calling a few bookstores. If you're in the GTA area (Ontario, Canada), it should start appearing in Chapters soon. I found mine at First Marhkam (Woodside Square) at Highway 7 and Woodbine, if that helps. I called the one at Yonge and Steeles and they didn't have it in yet... Best idea is to call first... they hold it for you at the front desk if they have it, so you don't even have to go searching :D

Spoilers...

Well, I think the ideas in Cassia's story was pretty close to the real thing if you remove the torture... :( ;) :D And Obi didn't actually face off with Qui-Gon but he did consider it... Personally, I would have preferred it over Tahl's return from the dead thing Jude Watson decided to go with...

I'd love to say more, but I have a physics lab... be back in an hour ;)

6. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    I found mine at a mall that I had never been to before, and was surprised that I found it. We had to and hour and a half to take our puppy to a special vet clinic so on the way there I begged my mom to stop at a mall and the bookstore there was called the book depot. Read it last night, my verdict, one of the best ever.
    It was rather preditible but what else is new :)
    I loved the part where Qui-gon is like "I am not your friend and I am not here to relax!"
    I never really trusted those two twins aand I was pretty sure that Manex was going to turn on them at any moment, but I was wrong.
    The end bit was a bit surprsing, I honestly thought that QWui-gon would kill the twins and Balog.
    Oh, yeah. I loved the part of Qui-gon on "The lamb" and how he tried to disguise himself. That must have been hard there praobly weren't too many 7ft guys walking around new Apolson...

7. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    When is the book set? How long after book 15, that is?

8. Jedi-Faith

Dec 21, 2000
    Ok, so what happened in the book? I'll give the general details, but I don't want to give away who's the perpetrator behind it all, because I personally thought that finding out was the highlight of the novel. But that's me ... :D Besides, Cow Girl already gave it away... So here's the rest of the details:

spoilers ahead

At the beginning, there's a huge recap of everything, and you find out that the Council sent a team of Jedi who were on their way. The team turned out to be Mace Windu and Bant, and she is really cold to Obi-Wan for awhile. To discredit the Jedi, a holotape of Tahl working for the Absolutes is sent out. Yanci also makes an appearance and gives them information about Oleg, the guy who might have the list of Absolute informers. But before the Jedi can formulate a plan, Qui-Gon runs off on his own quest. At one point, he's chasing Balog, who's chasing Oleg... Oleg ends up dead though. And then things get worse when Legislator Pleni is killed by a probe droid, one of the ones that Qui-Gon had sent out to look for Balog. So first Tahl is labelled an Absolute, and now there's an arrest warrant out for Qui-Gon.

Manex tries to help the Jedi by drawing Balog out. He spreads a rumor claiming to have the list of secret informers, and in the end Qui-Gon actually falls for the trap instead of Balog. But then security shows up and Qui-Gon runs off alone again, leaving poor Obi alone. Qui-Gon finds Eritha following him later, and she offers to lead him to Balog.

Meanwhile, Obi-Wan reflects back on everything that has occurred, and he finally realizes who's on their side and who's actually against them. After confirming his suspicions, he runs off to help Qui-Gon. Ultimately, they find out the people behind Oleg and Pleni's deaths, and they also find out where Balog and the Absolutes' hideaway is.

So the two end up finding Balog, but Qui-Gon doesn't end up killing him. In the end, Balog and his accomplices are arrested, New Apsolon starts over with their government, and the Jedi leave.

Actually, that might be a little too much detail... The rest is for you to discover :D

9. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    ...time setting?

10. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    Wow Jedi_Faith :)
    I could not ahve put it any better.
    Im just gald that uis not another cliffhanger! I hate those becasue you have to wait a month or two for the next one!
    When is JA#17 supposed to come out? When does the next series start?
    Now if scholatic was really smart they would run both series at the smae time and therefore make twice the amount of money because I know that I would certainly read both series :)

11. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    I wouldnt be too worried that "Jedi Apprentice" is ending. Dark Horse will more than likely continue doing "Qui-Gon and Ob-Wan" miniseries as time goes on. They've already got one out, and another one begins in February.

12. Jedi-Faith

Dec 21, 2000
    Sorry... I'm in a hurry to go out...

Timesetting... the book picks up almost immediately right after JA14 ends. A few minor things happen in between, but I think it's a matter of days in between.

13. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    Mavrik889-
    Are you talking about the jedi Quest series?
    I've read the first two and they were not too bad...I've seen the one going to be released in Feb, How old is Obi supposed to be in it? He looks very young on the cover..

14. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Nope, Jedi Quest is set four years after The Phantom Menace. Obi-Wan'd be 29 in it.

I'm talking about:
    Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan: Last Stand on Ord Mantell (set five years before The Phantom Menace, Obi-Wan's 20)

and the upcoming

Qui-Gon and ObiWan: The Aurorient Express

15. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    But last stand on Ord mantrell has been out for ages!
    I already have all of the three issues!
    I just thought that you might ahve ment another series that I might have missed that's all :)

16. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    haha, sorry about that...

Still, there is the upcoming Aurorient Express. My guess is that DH will continue to make Jedi Apprentice style comics for a while. I hope they continue to use different writers to do it, too. I think that may have been one of the bigger problems I've had with Jedi Apprentice.

17. Jedi-Faith

Dec 21, 2000
    I don't like comics... I prefer to read the words and come up with the imagery myself :)

JA17 is listed to be out between January and Feb 2002.

And I dunno, but I didn't find JA16 predictable. I was quite surprised at some of the stuff that happened in it actually. "Hard to see, the dark side is." I personally thought that Jude Watson did very well in making the meaning behind that statement stand out :D

18. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    January?!?
    That's to long in my opinion, but hwat can you do about it :)
    I really do mind waiting becasue I find that it is always worth the wait for these books.
    I like comics because I art fanatic. I love to draw. ERven though I can create scenes in my mind I always find it cool to see what the scenes look like when done if differnt styles. One of the coolest things that I have ever seen involving star wars artwork would be scenes from the jedi apprentice done in the Magna/anime style.
    Of course the characters have huge eyes, but little obi is just so cute!
    Another thing is it me or does Obi have really creepy eyes on the cover, thye kind of scare me..

Edit-One last thing from me, at the site www.ews-temple.com in the star wars section they have an exculisve interview with Jude watson taht was never published in a magazine or anywhere else. It is pretty intresting. There is even a small part where she explains how to properly pernounce some of the characters names!

Go check it out, it's worth it :)

19. Jedi-Faith

Dec 21, 2000
    I've never seen the manga/anime version of Star Wars... I have seen the covers to OT, but that's it... I really should check that out sometime :)

I love to draw too! :D I haven't had a chance to scan some of the stuff to send to TFN yet, but I intend to during Christmas... But I have trouble following the action in comics; I guess I'm just not used to reading them. Somehow, words are more capable of describing to me what's going on than snapshots of a scene are...

I've seen that interview! Very cool. =) I had no idea Cerasi was pronounced the way it apparently is supposed to be said...

And I do think two months is too long a wait... I'm practically going crazy near the time the next book is supposed to be out :D ;) :)

20. Cow_Girl

Jun 15, 2001
    I loved it how she hinted at the new series and that she will keep readers intrested, hmmm...

One more thing about "The call to vegance" is Mace windu. I would have never thought taht he would show up in a JA book. I msut say that I prefered hi Character why more in JA fanfic becasue he has more of a personality and I like him and Qui-gon as friends. It seemed that in the book he was just kind of there to move the story along...

Jedi_Faith-It's good to find a fellow artist :) I love painting and working with clay. I made a clay figure of a jedi woman holding a lighsaber in what I thought was a battle ready posistion and I thought that it looked pretty cool, other people did not and even the teachers were making fun of me! It was pretty bad. I decided that the woman will be tahl, expect I have no clue on how I am going to paint it! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.